The Student Room Group

Stats help

The length of a particular component is normally distributed with a mean of 100cm and and standard deviation of 8cm, what is the probability of the component having a length of more that 82cm?

Could anyone please give step by step answer to that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_
The length of a particular component is normally distributed with a mean of 100cm and and standard deviation of 8cm, what is the probability of the component having a length of more that 82cm?

Could anyone please give step by step answer to that question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know how to convert that '82' into a Z value?
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Do you know how to convert that '82' into a Z value?

I don't think so, I'm new to stats you see. What I did was (82-100)/8= -2.25 and then looking at the tables, I got 0.9878 as my final answer, is this correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blyts-_
I don't think so, I'm new to stats you see. What I did was (82-100)/8= -2.25 and then looking at the tables, I got 0.9878 as my final answer, is this correct :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's good, you know how to get to z values :smile:

The thing about it is that the table uses P(Z z).

In the question you're looking for P(length>82), and you've converted it to P( Z > -2.25 ). But the table gives values for P(Z z). You've correctly read off 0.9878 (I think) for P (Z < +2.25) , but you need to change that into P(Z > -2.25).

Have you learned how to go from P(Z z) to P(Z > z) and how to deal with negative numbers with z?
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
That's good, you know how to get to z values :smile:

The thing about it is that the table uses P(Z z).

In the question you're looking for P(length>82), and you've converted it to P( Z > -2.25 ). But the table gives values for P(Z z). You've correctly read off 0.9878 (I think) for P (Z < +2.25) , but you need to change that into P(Z > -2.25).

Have you learned how to go from P(Z z) to P(Z > z) and how to deal with negative numbers with z?

No I'm afraid I haven't learn that yet. Any chance you could briefly explain it?
Original post by Blyts-_
No I'm afraid I haven't learn that yet. Any chance you could briefly explain it?

Hmm, not sure why you've been asked that then. It's best to go and look it up but:

P( Z z) = 1 - P( Z > z). Can you see why that would make sense?

And when you're dealing with a negative number, -z , where z is a positive number,

P ( Z -z) = 1 - P ( Z z). This is due to the symmetry of the normal distribution.

But as I said, best to look at your textbook or ask your teacher about it.

And also in these types of questions it's best to 'convert' your working into something in terms of P ( Z z) before referring to the massive table, but this is something you'll pick up soon enough.

Quick Reply

Latest