The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I'm a fresher really struggling at Imperial and considering dropping out

So it's been a month since studies have started and I am falling behind and feel like the dumbest person in the class. I know these feelings are common and I myself have anxiety so I tend to blow things out of proportion but I am genuinely struggling.

We are doing 3 modules in my biomedical sciences course, a bio and chem module, and a stats module. The bio and chem modules I would probably be able to manage but I've been struggling with stats which involves coding which is the one thing I've always been bad at, and so I've been devoting more time trying to revise stats and all my other studies are falling behind.

I now have a summative assessment and I wanted to start early and I basically spent 4 hours staring at the screen and only did 1 question. Then I was too burnt out to revise chemistry.

I'm also really bad at taking notes. At first I took too many and spent 8 hours a day copying things down and learning nothing, and one of the teachers advised me to stop taking notes and try and learn the content deeply instead.

I see everyone else behind on lectures and out partying and yet somehow they manage and yet here I am burning myself out and achieving nothing. And it's only the first month of first year. My anxiety is making everything worse, yes, but I'm really struggling. I'm not sure if this is the right uni for me and I am considering dropping out. I'm going to contact my personal tutor for help and advice but at the end of the day they can't help someone who is not capable of doing the course. If I can't do the basics I don't know how they can help me.
It sounds more like it's a time-management and/or study skills issue than one of you not being able to do the course tbh. I know it's easy to feel all is lost when you start to fall behind, but unis usually have academic skills departments that can help you to get back on track. I really hope your personal tutor can point you in the right direction - hang on in there and find the support that will help you!
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by caitlynewwww
I did 2 weeks work experience in a nursery in year 10, and my volunteering at school involves working with kids that have additional needs and listening to younger years read. Do you think that’s enough or should I try and find baby sitting?

It totally depends on how much spare time you have, but I think babysitting shows that parents really trust you with their children (amd are happy to pay you!), which counts for slightly more than volunteering. Also, you get to build up a relationship with the kids, which is great for being able to relate developmental psychology concepts to real-life situations. It would be most helpful perhaps if you could babysit some under-5s, as they really teach you loads about developmental stages etc! Best teachers out there ;-)
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So it's been a month since studies have started and I am falling behind and feel like the dumbest person in the class. I know these feelings are common and I myself have anxiety so I tend to blow things out of proportion but I am genuinely struggling.

We are doing 3 modules in my biomedical sciences course, a bio and chem module, and a stats module. The bio and chem modules I would probably be able to manage but I've been struggling with stats which involves coding which is the one thing I've always been bad at, and so I've been devoting more time trying to revise stats and all my other studies are falling behind.

I now have a summative assessment and I wanted to start early and I basically spent 4 hours staring at the screen and only did 1 question. Then I was too burnt out to revise chemistry.

I'm also really bad at taking notes. At first I took too many and spent 8 hours a day copying things down and learning nothing, and one of the teachers advised me to stop taking notes and try and learn the content deeply instead.

I see everyone else behind on lectures and out partying and yet somehow they manage and yet here I am burning myself out and achieving nothing. And it's only the first month of first year. My anxiety is making everything worse, yes, but I'm really struggling. I'm not sure if this is the right uni for me and I am considering dropping out. I'm going to contact my personal tutor for help and advice but at the end of the day they can't help someone who is not capable of doing the course. If I can't do the basics I don't know how they can help me.

I'm sure you are capable but it sounds like Imperial isn't being very supportive ...
Original post by Anonymous #1

Hi, this response is a little bit late but I hope you haven’t given up hope and are going strong! I just wanted to let you know that I am in the same position and can 100% relate, but for me it’s rather cbi than stats. I hope your stats report turned out to be alright and you will enjoy ints more!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending