The Student Room Group

Mechanics URGENT QUESTION

Concerning resolving forces, how do you know that the angle I have inserted a question mark next to is 30? I realise it has something to do with the fact that the incline is also 30 but which rule is it?

Original post by V0ldemort17
Concerning resolving forces, how do you know that the angle I have inserted a question mark next to is 30? I realise it has something to do with the fact that the incline is also 30 but which rule is it?

Why is it so urgent though? :tongue:

Anyway, it's because it's a "Z" angle, see here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/ks3/maths/shape_space/parallels/revision/2/
The incline is 30 so if you create a triangle next to your question mark, one side, on the top left will be a right angle, the other side will be 90-30= 60 (bottom left). This leaves a 30 degree angle where you have marked it on (the right side of the triangle) as 180-90-60 = 30. I hope that helps but it's hard to answer without drawing a diagram for you.
Original post by V0ldemort17

Alternate angles between parallel lines.

Quick Reply

Latest