The Student Room Group

Is "13 A*s" better than "13 A*s and 3 A*-Bs"?

I know it seems like a stupid question because the 13 A*s and 3 A*-Bs looks better. But I heard some universities like Oxford care more about the A* proportion. In this case 100% A* vs 80(ish)% A*.

Any ideas? Thanks.
Reply 1
Of course it's not better...
I know a person who got into Oxford this year with 3A*s and the rest A/B so I don't think you ought to worry - remember that it isn't all about academics when applying to the top universities...
Original post by HistoryStudent1
I know a person who got into Oxford this year with 3A*s and the rest A/B so I don't think you ought to worry - remember that it isn't all about academics when applying to the top universities...

Lol
Original post by HistoryStudent1

It is. That's what they look at first anyway.
Original post by champ_mc99
I know it seems like a stupid question because the 13 A*s and 3 A*-Bs looks better. But I heard some universities like Oxford care more about the A* proportion. In this case 100% A* vs 80(ish)% A*.

Any ideas? Thanks.

I got rejected from Oxford with the reason being I had too small of a proportion of A*s as I had to include on ucas GCSEs taken early such as creative studies or something where the maximum you could get in year 9 was a C, but I don't think 80% instead of 100% would harm you
Reply 6
Original post by Philippamalko
I got rejected from Oxford with the reason being I had too small of a proportion of A*s as I had to include on ucas GCSEs taken early such as creative studies or something where the maximum you could get in year 9 was a C, but I don't think 80% instead of 100% would harm you

What were your overall GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Lol. I don't have a firm answer because views are all mixed ^. Yeah I'm scared. So is it a yes or no?
Doesn't really matter both are good. The latter shows you've done more exams - I've met people who have gotten into camebridge and Oxford with 4 A*s, so 13 A*s is great

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by *Stefan*
What were your overall GCSE grades?

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 A*s, 4 As, a distinction and a C
Original post by champ_mc99
Lol. I don't have a firm answer because views are all mixed ^. Yeah I'm scared. So is it a yes or no?

the rejection i got from them included this

"We try hard to allocate the available places in a manner that is as fair and objective as we can make it. The two quantitative and objective measures used in the initial short-listing process were performance at GCSE and BMAT score. If you had not taken GCSEs, we gave more weight to your BMAT result. In order to get onto the initial short-list you had to fall in approximately the top 30% of candidates based on a combination of these two parameters."

This was for medicine so exchange BMAT for whatever exam it took to apply for your course but basically this would mean it depends on the other applicants as to how high your grades have to be
Reply 11
6 A*s, 4 As, a distinction and a C

It's not the same with the OP's example then. By a higher proportion they meant, for instance, 8A*s and 2As.

What the OP is saying is definitely not the case (not by any logic at least).
Original post by *Stefan*
It's not the same with the OP's example then. By a higher proportion they meant, for instance, 8A*s and 2As.

What the OP is saying is definitely not the case (not by any logic at least).

Hence why I said having 80% A*s instead of 100% wasn't going to harm them, i was just giving mine as an example since someone else said having 3A*s is enough
Original post by MsFahima

I agree- the person with 3A*s probably did really well in their AS Levels
Reply 14
the rejection i got from them included this

"We try hard to allocate the available places in a manner that is as fair and objective as we can make it. The two quantitative and objective measures used in the initial short-listing process were performance at GCSE and BMAT score. If you had not taken GCSEs, we gave more weight to your BMAT result. In order to get onto the initial short-list you had to fall in approximately the top 30% of candidates based on a combination of these two parameters."

This was for medicine so exchange BMAT for whatever exam it took to apply for your course but basically this would mean it depends on the other applicants as to how high your grades have to be

So, by "performance at GCSEs" did it include A* proportion? Also, I find it bizarre you were rejected solely on these two factors and not 'mainly' your AS levels.
Original post by MsFahima

Yes but relevant work experience, extra-curricular activities and a passion for the subject can all be put alongside academics...

Quick Reply

Latest