The Student Room Group

A-Level English literature (essay structure)

Hello,

I am a year 12 student who picked English Literature as one of their A-levels, and I have a question about how to structure your answer for a written response/essay. Can you still use the PEETAL or any other acronyms, would that impact the quality of the essay?
Reply 1
Hey, I also did English literature and I'm continuing it on in year 13! I also used an acronym to help me - PEEL/S/F, which is point, evidence, explain, analyse lang structure and form, link back to q and then effect on reader depending on what the essay is about and the exam board. if it's for poetry make sure you make comparisons between the poems, for example, use the "both/however" structure and if you're comparing or writing about a novel make sure to include context, quotes and critics if necessary. Acronyms are always great for helping you write an essay and in my opinion, they actually enhance the quality of the essay. If you're still stuck, you should deffo ask your teacher about the structure because they should've told u already, hope that helps <3
Reply 2
Original post by hanni_nj
Hey, I also did English literature and I'm continuing it on in year 13! I also used an acronym to help me - PEEL/S/F, which is point, evidence, explain, analyse lang structure and form, link back to q and then effect on reader depending on what the essay is about and the exam board. if it's for poetry make sure you make comparisons between the poems, for example, use the "both/however" structure and if you're comparing or writing about a novel make sure to include context, quotes and critics if necessary. Acronyms are always great for helping you write an essay and in my opinion, they actually enhance the quality of the essay. If you're still stuck, you should deffo ask your teacher about the structure because they should've told u already, hope that helps <3

Thank you for replying. I will apply your advice onto my essays. Are there any good websites or YouTubers for OCR English Literature as revision tools (that is if you are doing OCR, if not then it is fine) ?
Reply 3
It really depends on what type of essay you're writing with what assessment objectives. Which exam board do you do?
Original post by jiungie
Hello,

I am a year 12 student who picked English Literature as one of their A-levels, and I have a question about how to structure your answer for a written response/essay. Can you still use the PEETAL or any other acronyms, would that impact the quality of the essay?
Reply 4
I'm just talking about in general, any essay. I'm doing OCR.
Original post by Sandyfish
It really depends on what type of essay you're writing with what assessment objectives. Which exam board do you do?
Reply 5
Original post by jiungie
Thank you for replying. I will apply your advice onto my essays. Are there any good websites or YouTubers for OCR English Literature as revision tools (that is if you are doing OCR, if not then it is fine) ?

my teacher told me about a YouTuber called bossing English with Mr f, I found his videos really helpful! :smile: here's the link to his channel : https://www.youtube.com/@bossingenglishwithmrf
Reply 6
he is!! i just started watching his videos
Original post by hanni_nj
my teacher told me about a YouTuber called bossing English with Mr f, I found his videos really helpful! :smile: here's the link to his channel : https://www.youtube.com/@bossingenglishwithmrf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending