The Student Room Group

How long do gsce music performances have to be?

I have a jazz piece that i really want to play for my exam (the board is AQA) but im just worried it isnt long enough. Its a grade 6 jazz piece but last only 45-50 seconds :/

is this too short or can i do it? :smile:
When performing singularly you have to remember that whatever piece you choose to perform has to provide enough emphasis upon techniques in order for you to gain top marks. Personally, I would say that this is quite short because it provides very little time for the performance to become convincing and to incorporate a myriad of techniques in order to score highly. This is a large percentage of your grade, so I would think about it very carefully and perhaps ask for a teacher's opinion also. My performance piece was around 3 minutes and we were told that it should be no longer than 5 minutes, so I'm beginning to think that your piece is quite significantly shorter than the maximum time limit.

Hope this helps and good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by georgialennon
When performing singularly you have to remember that whatever piece you choose to perform has to provide enough emphasis upon techniques in order for you to gain top marks. Personally, I would say that this is quite short because it provides very little time for the performance to become convincing and to incorporate a myriad of techniques in order to score highly. This is a large percentage of your grade, so I would think about it very carefully and perhaps ask for a teacher's opinion also. My performance piece was around 3 minutes and we were told that it should be no longer than 5 minutes, so I'm beginning to think that your piece is quite significantly shorter than the maximum time limit.

Hope this helps and good luck!

well it is a grade 6 piece as I said so it uses many techniques and is very difficult (fast scales) and other things so yeah I will probably ask my teacher but thank you for your answer :smile:
Original post by naomi2121
well it is a grade 6 piece as I said so it uses many techniques and is very difficult (fast scales) and other things so yeah I will probably ask my teacher but thank you for your answer :smile:

I think a longer Grade 5 piece would be more suitable. As long as you can play it without mistakes, and you can show off several techniques, you're all good. Good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
As others have said, I would ask your teacher for their opinion. I did a jazz piece and that was only about a minute and a half to two minutes from what I remember. (got an A* in the end) so I could see them saying okay possibly :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending