The Student Room Group

Edexcel C2 20th May 2015 *Official Thread*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gdunne42
What equation have you formed for volume and hence rearranged for l ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

250=0.5X^2L

L= 500/x^2
Original post by studentwiz
250=0.5X^2L

L= 500/x^2

How is the area of the triangular cross section 0.5x^2, something is missing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
How is the area of the triangular cross section 0.5x^2, something is missing

Posted from TSR Mobile

what is missing? 1/2ab for the area of triangle
Original post by studentwiz
what is missing? 1/2ab for the area of triangle

1/2base x height works in right angled triangles or those where you know the base and perpendicular height
Neither are true for this equilateral triangle, you need 1/2absinC

Posted from TSR Mobile
http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/core-maths/sequences-series/binomial/nCr/tutorial-3.php

http://www.examsolutions.net/maths-revision/core-maths/sequences-series/binomial/Pascal's-triangle/tutorial-1.php

have u tried these

Original post by imran_
Guys I need help, can somebody link me a video or anything for the binomial expansion where the power is n
(2-3x)^n for example, It's never come up but I've got a good feeling it will this time
How do I get a A in c2? And who thinks logs will come up this year? Apparently they only come up sometimes in a paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 446
Original post by ssn2125
How do I get a A in c2? And who thinks logs will come up this year? Apparently they only come up sometimes in a paper

Posted from TSR Mobile

They come up every year, logs are not that hard. Unless they give us something complex which is more likely as exams are getting harder ^,^
Original post by ssn2125

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can teach you logs if you want :smile: they're not too bad
There might be trig translations in this paper as a translation question hasn't popped up in c1 or c2 in the last couple years
so make sure you learn the graphs!
Original post by ssn2125
Posted from TSR Mobile

1. By getting most of the questions right, around about 60 marks out of 75 (probably slightly higher), meaning you need to have mastered the vast majority of the syllabus.
2. Logs are almost certain to be on the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey guys!

apart from the solomon papers you could also have a look at gold papers- which in my opinion, are even more challenging but relevant to our specification as it is a combination of the most difficult questions in past papers/those that people scored most poorly in.

Here's the link in case you want them:

http://www.physicsandmathstutor.com/a-level-maths-papers/c2-edexcel-bronze-silver-gold/
OMG I THINK I UNDERSTAND LOGS NOW :banana:
Reply 451
When do you know you have to add/ subtract on trignometric identities?
Original post by ozzie2
OMG I THINK I UNDERSTAND LOGS NOW :banana:

what does: logeX=3 equal?
Original post by domcandrews
yeah i find all the caste diagrams a bit confusing but they're good for understanding, the following method works all the time for me:

tan = add 180 to principal value, then keep adding 180 for required range
cos = 360+principal value, 360-principal value, 720+ p.v., 720-p.v. etc same for negative ranges (-360 - p.v, -360+p.v)
sin = 180-p.v., 360+p.v., 540-p.v., 720+p.v.

can try these with any trig question throughout the whole alevel course and they always work, but many people have their own methods and just stick to that.

hope this helps

Thankyou!
Original post by frozo123
what does: logeX=3 equal?

Ok I don't understand logs now :biggrin:
Original post by Clovers
Thankyou!

no problem!
Original post by AkaAlex
When do you know you have to add/ subtract on trignometric identities?

what do you mean? be a bit more specific, is it a past question or something?
I'm feeling confident that there will be a log equation in the paper because last year they did not have one - they only had one to do with working out the value of the power x. So minimal log was knowledge was tested.

Plus they have not tested changing the base in a long time so that might be on it.
I have a feeling it will be a long 5/6 mark long question where many things will have to be tackled which I know will throw many people. Personally I think logs are the easiest topics so I'm hoping for it (not so much secretly now) Especially because others struggle with it so it lowers G.B :colone:. Banter.

But if anyone does not understand logs then it would be my pleasure to help them :smile:
Okay so here are my predictions based on recent papers (especially last year's paper)

- basic binomial (can't expect too much anything to unorthodox) because they did slightly different style parts to a binomial on the last 2 years.

- remainder theorem question. Although i doubt it will be basic. Might be the kind that get you to do simultaneous equations to figure out the unknown values of the equation - which they then ask you to factorise.

- area under curve problems. Think this almost guaranteed since it was not on last year's paper

- extended log rules question or log equation including base changing (they have missed out base changing for ages and they did not test log rules or solving log equations in last year's paper)

- proving the sum of a geometric progression. It has not been tested in ages.

- surface area, volume, length calculus/algebra problem. (This got tested quite well last year but its usually quite popular because it tests all differentiation knowledge as well as a load of algebra. So I would not be surprised to see it again)

- Trig identities - especially the kind which ask for you to write an equation in another form using trig identities. Or solving involving quadratics.

- Can't predict radian application, circles, geometric progressions because they have something on it every year. Its always going to be on the paper anyways and all of these can be really easy or very, very tricky. Its pure luck.

Anyhow I hope this help. These are just logical guesses at the end of the day. :smile:
Original post by Siddhart1998
I'm feeling confident that there will be a log equation in the paper because last year they did not have one - they only had one to do with working out the value of the power x. So minimal log was knowledge was tested.

Plus they have not tested changing the base in a long time so that might be on it.
I have a feeling it will be a long 5/6 mark long question where many things will have to be tackled which I know will throw many people. Personally I think logs are the easiest topics so I'm hoping for it (not so much secretly now) Especially because others struggle with it so it lowers G.B :colone:. Banter.

But if anyone does not understand logs then it would be my pleasure to help them :smile:

Can you plz explain changing the base of logs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending