The Student Room Group

Should all natural resources be governed by an independent body?

I personally do not agree with this as while I am aware that our resources are finite,I think the last thing any country will need is to have a body control how they are able to buy/sell or use their resources . All I can think of is the effect this will have on the sovereignty of states. On the contrary it could be argued that the lack of cooperation on resources management and inefficiency of resource usage, has led to significant levels of industrial and agricultural waste in some areas and shortages of available resources in others.

Anyway what does everyone think?
I personally do not believe in this type of external governance because this will open floodgates for further regulation.
No, of course not.
Reply 2
Original post by RayApparently
No, of course not.

Yes but why?
Reply 3
Original post by vanessap
I personally do not agree with this as while I am aware that our resources are finite,I think the last thing any country will need is to have a body control how they are able to buy/sell or use their resources . All I can think of is the effect this will have on the sovereignty of states. On the contrary it could be argued that the lack of cooperation on resources management and inefficiency of resource usage, has led to significant levels of industrial and agricultural waste in some areas and shortages of available resources in others.

Anyway what does everyone think?
I personally do not believe in this type of external governance because this will open floodgates for further regulation.

The world is far too divided for this to work. Why on earth would Qatar ever agree to this for example.

Technological solutions will solve such problems i believe. Space mining for example could slash the cost of resources for example via increased supply.
Reply 4
Original post by Rakas21
The world is far too divided for this to work. Why on earth would Qatar ever agree to this for example.

Technological solutions will solve such problems i believe. Space mining for example could slash the cost of resources for example via increased supply.

Think about how countries like china are "raping" third world countries.
Investing in their railways blah blah and buying their resources but not giving these countries the opportunity the develop .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending