Turn on thread page Beta

Should all natural resources be governed by an independent body? watch

ReputationRep:
    I personally do not agree with this as while I am aware that our resources are finite,I think the last thing any country will need is to have a body control how they are able to buy/sell or use their resources . All I can think of is the effect this will have on the sovereignty of states. On the contrary it could be argued that the lack of cooperation on resources management and inefficiency of resource usage, has led to significant levels of industrial and agricultural waste in some areas and shortages of available resources in others.

Anyway what does everyone think?
    I personally do not believe in this type of external governance because this will open floodgates for further regulation.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    No, of course not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayApparently)
    No, of course not.
    Yes but why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vanessap)
    I personally do not agree with this as while I am aware that our resources are finite,I think the last thing any country will need is to have a body control how they are able to buy/sell or use their resources . All I can think of is the effect this will have on the sovereignty of states. On the contrary it could be argued that the lack of cooperation on resources management and inefficiency of resource usage, has led to significant levels of industrial and agricultural waste in some areas and shortages of available resources in others.

Anyway what does everyone think?
    I personally do not believe in this type of external governance because this will open floodgates for further regulation.
    The world is far too divided for this to work. Why on earth would Qatar ever agree to this for example.

Technological solutions will solve such problems i believe. Space mining for example could slash the cost of resources for example via increased supply.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    The world is far too divided for this to work. Why on earth would Qatar ever agree to this for example.

Technological solutions will solve such problems i believe. Space mining for example could slash the cost of resources for example via increased supply.
    Think about how countries like china are "raping" third world countries.
    Investing in their railways blah blah and buying their resources but not giving these countries the opportunity the develop .

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.