The Student Room Group

AQA ELLA2 (English Language and Literature A UNIT 2) 2nd June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Beckyanders
How did anyone doing the lovely bones find the Ruana question? I really think I have screwed it up and so can some people please tell me what they included so I can compare please. I think my comparison was okay I wrote 4 and a half sides of A4 on that but I think my Ruana questions was all a bit of a mess I know I talked about reported speech direct speech adjectives used to describe her.

I loved the question, I was able to follow my reporting clauses, adjacency pairings, paralinguistic features, and sentence types method and got 2 and a half sides done in 26 minutes. I compared it to when Ruana spoke with Ruth before she talked to Ray about Susie, it was a small interaction but I was able to compare Ruana's relationships with men and women so it worked well. Also, it gave me 64 minutes for the transcripts which I also thought were really nice, I did about 4 and a half pages on that question alone and made 7 points (4 language, 3 structure).
Original post by SgtStiffler
I did this question... I mostly talked about the use of imagery, use of the lexical set involving words such as "dark grey eyes".
What did you do for the other episode?

I'm afraid you may have missed the point :/ it was a question on representations of speech rather than a more literary analysis.
Original post by HistoryStudent1
I'm afraid you may have missed the point :/ it was a question on representations of speech rather than a more literary analysis.

Oh dear oops didn't it say and other stylistic techniques?

Here's what I wrote

The adjectives to describe her horrible sounding toes - long unpolished and gnarled and how the simile like a burden or something from jack shows he felt unfortable and therefore Ruana is intimidating.I also said she was polite though in the direct Phatic utterance and come in and sit showing her to be welcoming and friendly. I said how she was eager to stand up for her son and show his innocence as how she expressive that she loved your little girl I compared about the politesse of interrogatives about the drink to when her and Abigail speak and she give comfort to Abigail. And how the bit about her not been such a nice person with the look of her toes compares to how they smoke foreign cigarettes which is also not nice At start I said reported speech made her seem not so nice and then put the quotes about her been condescending and said that in fact she was polite when she spoke and said come in and sit
I uses "come in and sit," but commented on how, although it does make her appear maternal, you could also say that it shows how controlling she is around men (as it is an imperative sentence) and furthermore how we can see how vulnerable she is. I reiterated this theme throughout. How did everyone fine the transcript? I did about four and a half pages making comparative points on labov coda, negative connotations in speech, pronouns, short vs multiclausal sentences, persuasive language features, concrete vs abstract nouns, and one other point which I can't remember.
I uses "come in and sit," but commented on how, although it does make her appear maternal, you could also say that it shows how controlling she is around men (as it is an imperative sentence) and furthermore how we can see how vulnerable she is. I reiterated this theme throughout. How did everyone fine the transcript? I did about four and a half pages making comparative points on labov coda, negative connotations in speech, pronouns, short vs multiclausal sentences, persuasive language features, concrete vs abstract nouns, and one other point which I can't remember.

Ah right yeah I managed fine with the comparison question I wrote 4 and a half sides on that and about 3 on LB - do you think any of what I wrote for LB will be okay I can't really remember what I wrote for comparison
I did All My Sons, and I'm feeling mixed about my application. I related her state of mind to act one where she delivers the monologue. I mentioned how Miller uses repetition and hyperbolic language to enhance her exclamatory tone. I didn't think about her physical actions much earlier on, but I did say the dynamic verb use of 'smashing keller across the face ' depicts her physically repudiating the truth and escaping to her fictitious reality.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Beckyanders
Ah right yeah I managed fine with the comparison question I wrote 4 and a half sides on that and about 3 on LB - do you think any of what I wrote for LB will be okay I can't really remember what I wrote for comparison

I'm sure it will be fine, looking at the mark scheme I think they do accept rhetoric features :smile:
I'm sure it will be fine, looking at the mark scheme I think they do accept rhetoric features :smile:

I really hope it is I'm so scared of failure ! Hope you do really well
Original post by philosophermark
I did All My Sons, and I'm feeling mixed about my application. I related her state of mind to act one where she delivers the monologue. I mentioned how Miller uses repetition and hyperbolic language to enhance her exclamatory tone. I didn't think about her physical actions much earlier on, but I did say the dynamic verb use of 'smashing keller across the face ' depicts her physically repudiating the truth and escaping to her fictitious reality.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That should be fine to be honest because it shows the examiner you've taken into account one of the stage directions, you'll be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks so much, you've eased my mind slightly in anticipation for results day! I hope you get the grades you're hoping for and best of luck in all other subjects! Has anyone else started the A2 course yet, or is this just my school being morons?
Reply 70
Original post by Amaaleeyyy
I completely screwed Section A up :s-smilie:, I didn't even get to finish it off because I stupidly started with sct B. I was not even expecting Claudio to come up, I thought it would be one of the main characters like Isabella or the Duke. Luckily I prepared a little for him, so I had quite a bit for it.
How was the exam for you? Oh and what did you write for your secondary analysis on him?

I completely messed up both sections! Had nothing at all for Claudio so made it up and ended up using the Duke's quotes:frown: Really going to have to retake:frown:
Original post by evekay
I completely messed up both sections! Had nothing at all for Claudio so made it up and ended up using the Duke's quotes:frown: Really going to have to retake:frown:

Naah, you'll be okay, you'll probably be surprised (in a good way lol) on results day. :h:
How did everyone's exams go?
Not great I got a C
I got a B in my AS English overall which I'm slightly upset about... Is it possible to get an A overall or is that just too far out of reach now? Well done to everyone proud of their results x

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm wondering the same about only getting a C at AS I want a B ideally next year just don't know if that's possible without re sitting
My class got confusingly bad grades, and the teacher has asked for all our paper back. English was the only subject I was expecting to get 200/200 ums on, because I got 144/150 on the ELLA 1 and 2 mocks, but was awarded 77/150 marks in the exam and got a D. I can't imagine this grade is right based on the fact that the lowest I had got in any single paper from the start of the year was a B, and other people in my class who got 5+ A*s at GCSEs also got similar grades. :/ Hopefully a remark will sort it.
Think I was 8 off a B
My class got confusingly bad grades, and the teacher has asked for all our paper back. English was the only subject I was expecting to get 200/200 ums on, because I got 144/150 on the ELLA 1 and 2 mocks, but was awarded 77/150 marks in the exam and got a D. I can't imagine this grade is right based on the fact that the lowest I had got in any single paper from the start of the year was a B, and other people in my class who got 5+ A*s at GCSEs also got similar grades. :/ Hopefully a remark will sort it.

I got a D in ella2 and a C overall. I found it strange too seeing as I usually got B's on practices.
Reply 79
Original post by romaiseb
How did everyone's exams go?

Mine went suprisingly great :smile: In ELLA1 i got the max 100 UMS and in ELLA2 i got 74/100 UMS so overall i came out with an A :smile:

Strange, i always did so badly in class mocks. I have no idea how i pulled it off XD

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending