The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Merton College (Oxford) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Someone in TSR
Thanks for your answer!

I really like the fact that Keble has a high Proportion of en-suite rooms. The library and the hall seem to be great as well.
I saw a tour of the outside of Merton College and I instantly fell in love with it. It's so beautiful. In general it just seems to be a nice and friendly (and well located) college.

The outside lol - you better wait to see the inside then!

Both offer accomodation for all years of my degree and I can live on or near the college site. That is another big advantage, as I don't want to live far outside.

True. Have you compared room rates? (I honestly don't know how they compare).

Accommodation is pretty important to me and both are said to have good rooms. I originally thought about applying to Magdalen but the accommodation seems to be quite bad(furniture in a bad state, bathrooms appalling...). Trinity was another option,but in third year you need to go to North Oxford.

Surprised that was your impression of Magdalen. I have not seen a room there but would have thought they would be good.

Christchurch is the only college I've seen which I would say had better rooms than Merton. Maybe worth checking out?

Is Merton more difficult to get into then some other colleges?

College competition ratios are published. Merton is not especially competitive no.

I know there is thepooling system but I don’t know how well it works. I’m afraid that if too many excellent people apply there they will raise the bars to even consider you for pooling.

Ok... its competitive yes but that does not mean pooling doesn't work. About 35% of people were re-allocated college last year as part of this process - I can't say they get it right every time but that's unquestionably evidence of an extensive process.

How was the ratio when you studied? Do you remember?

I had 6 bathrooms between 13 in first year. The lowest ratio for me was 1 between 5, but even then in 1 year I had to wait for the shower once. With some people showering in the evening, the scientists waking early and the artists waking late it just seems to work.

Unfortunately, I couldn't attend any open days to look at the colleges more closely.

You can just drop in. If you say you're an applicant they will let you explore (though send an e-mail to them to confirm if you wish).
(edited 8 years ago)
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Thanks for your detailed answers again! :smile:

Original post by nexttime
The outside lol - you better wait to see the inside then!

Sounds great. Makes me even more hyped! :wink:

True. Have you compared room rates? (I honestly don't know how they compare).

They are pretty similiar. However the most expensive rooms at Keble are significantly more expensive. (About 500 Pounds more per year)

Christchurch is the only college I've seen which I would say had better rooms than Merton. Maybe worth checking out?

Oh thanks... For some strange reason I never really looked at Christ Church more closely. I just looked at it now, accomodation seems to be very good. And I just read that they are refurbishing parts of the accommodation. I hope it will be finished due to 2016.
So now I'm torn between even more colleges. :wink: It's really a lot about small and "cozy" college vs large and impressive one.

College competition ratios are published. Merton is not especially competitive no.

Ok... its competitive yes but that does not mean pooling doesn't work. About 35% of people were re-allocated college last year as part of this process - I can't say they get it right every time but that's unquestionably evidence of an extensive process.

Yeah, all three colleges seem to be very competitive in my degree (also in pooling intake). On the other hand it changes from year to year and i really don't want to play the numbers game.

I had 6 bathrooms between 13 in first year. The lowest ratio for me was 1 between 5, but even then in 1 year I had to wait for the shower once. With some people showering in the evening, the scientists waking early and the artists waking late it just seems to work.

Ok that sounds fine. Better than one between 12 like in some Colleges. So as long as they are clean and don't have mould etc that sounds good.

You can just drop in. If you say you're an applicant they will let you explore (though send an e-mail to them to confirm if you wish).

Although I would like to, this isn't possible for me- unfortunately- as I am an international student from Germany.

PS: Is there an easy way to only quote parts of your reply?
(edited 8 years ago)

Sounds great. Makes me even more hyped! :wink:

The virtual tour is useful for seeing colleges.

So now I'm torn between even more colleges. :wink: It's really a lot about small and "cozy" college vs large and impressive one.

Sure. You can also consider the number of medics there will be in the year, though the range is small at 4-8.

Ok that sounds fine. Better than one between 12 like in some Colleges. So as long as they are clean and don't have mould etc that sounds good.

There were two 1st year buildings (so 24/90 people) that in my day may have been 12 (I'm not actually sure) which might have been changed since then (again, I don't know). So I can't rule it out entirely until someone more recently an undergrad posts!

PS: Is there an easy way to only quote parts of your reply?

I break the quote down by manually typing [quote] etc. Maybe there's an easier way, not sure.
The virtual tour is useful for seeing colleges.

I'll check it out.

Sure. You can also consider the number of medics there will be in the year, though the range is small at 4-8.

Oh... I'm not a medic. Applying for PPE. Are you one?

I break the quote down by manually typing
etc. Maybe there's an easier way, not sure.

Yeah, I'm doing it the same way.
(edited 8 years ago)

Oh... I'm not a medic. Applying for PPE. Are you one?

Apologies - was talking to medics in other threads. Could still be a factor for PPE though.

I used to be yes.
Wondering if anyone can help me out here...How is accommodation allocated to the first years? Are there any shared rooms? Do we get to choose this? Do we get to choose between en-suite and not? Thanks...
Original post by skylake
How is accommodation allocated to the first years?

Random unless you have health needs.

Are there any shared rooms?

No

Do we get to choose between en-suite and not? Thanks...

There are a handful of en-suite rooms. No you do not get to choose.
Thank you!!
Dear Student Room users,For anyone considering applying to Economics related subjects, Merton college has set up a twitter account (ran by me, an E&Mer, and a PPEist) to answer all questions you might have about the course, the college and just anything in general.Follow and tweet at @MertonPPEplus for quick answers from current students. We remember what it's like to be in your position so don't be hesitant to ask any questions you have! Best,Matt
Just noticed that on the website the official star of term is October 9th 2016, but was just wondering if merton expects/if it is normal practice for students to arrive prior to this date, and if so what date? Thank you.
Original post by skylake
Just noticed that on the website the official star of term is October 9th 2016, but was just wondering if merton expects/if it is normal practice for students to arrive prior to this date, and if so what date? Thank you.

That is the start of 1st week. You should arrive for 0th week. The Sunday prior, so the 2nd, I think I remember being normal practice, but it could also be the Monday. They will inform you - you don't get any info before results day generally.
2 years old lol, heard from a friend this college is known as the most academic/boring college. Is that true? I honestly quite like that serious atmosphere though.
Original post by zanielchoudhury
2 years old lol, heard from a friend this college is known as the most academic/boring college. Is that true? I honestly quite like that serious atmosphere though.

I'm sure there was a more recent thread, but can't find it either. Weird.

People like to create stereotypes to characterise the colleges. The sporty one, the rowing one, the posh one, the party one, etc. They are based on very little truth in my experience. In fact sometimes they make up, and then some people actually seem to believe (!?) random things to back it up, like curfews or sports being banned and the like (all things people have 'informed' me about Merton). None true of course. In fact because of its consistently good (although not necessarily top these days) performance in the Norrington table the college can afford to be a little more relaxed around academia, unlike some under-performing colleges who 'crack down' every now and then (giving students extra exams etc).

Perhaps a small proportion of the private schooled kids (i.e. the ones who have heard of the reputations before they arrive) applied to that college because of the reputation, but that's only a small number. I found Merton to be very social and I had a great time. Perhaps a little more nerdy than elsewhere, but that might just be Oxford its hard to tell.
I'm sure there was a more recent thread, but can't find it either. Weird.

People like to create stereotypes to characterise the colleges. The sporty one, the rowing one, the posh one, the party one, etc. They are based on very little truth in my experience. In fact sometimes they make up, and then some people actually seem to believe (!?) random things to back it up, like curfews or sports being banned and the like (all things people have 'informed' me about Merton). None true of course. In fact because of its consistently good (although not necessarily top these days) performance in the Norrington table the college can afford to be a little more relaxed around academia, unlike some under-performing colleges who 'crack down' every now and then (giving students extra exams etc).

Perhaps a small proportion of the private schooled kids (i.e. the ones who have heard of the reputations before they arrive) applied to that college because of the reputation, but that's only a small number. I found Merton to be very social and I had a great time. Perhaps a little more nerdy than elsewhere, but that might just be Oxford its hard to tell.

Wow that sounds lovely! I feel a fair few of students (especially state school students) are drawn to Oxford because of their nerdiness. Were there any notable things about your experience at Merton, anything distinct or memorable things? Would you go back in time to change your college if you had the chance?
Original post by zanielchoudhury
Wow that sounds lovely! I feel a fair few of students (especially state school students) are drawn to Oxford because of their nerdiness. Were there any notable things about your experience at Merton, anything distinct or memorable things? Would you go back in time to change your college if you had the chance?

Its hard to say what's 'notable' as obviously I've only been at one college. I had a great time meeting new people, I loved the willingness to discuss philosophy and physics and politics and ethics as just normal bar talk - far flung from my sixth form where it was football and that's about it. I got involved in lots of societies, did sports I never would have otherwise. I had a great time as I say.

I guess objectively different things about Merton are the Time Ceremony, an unusually high JCR budget, great accommodation location. When I was there there was amazing participation in rowing (if not the highest achievement!), but that might have changed.

Yes I would choose Merton again if I could.
Hi, My daughter and I went to the open day and she really liked Merton and thinking of putting this college as her option. Trouble is there is nothing on the website, or anywhere else on line, except all that it says is that Merton does excellent food. But just wondering what type of food really. Do they do the basic fare that's like chicken and chips, jacket potato, pizza; that kind of thing? Or is it a lot of food that's for the more adventurous pallet?
I do understand that of course even if you do get an offer, you do not always get the college you requested on the ucas; but as food is quite an important factor as you eat in halls quite a fair bit, she would prefer to have a choice of new fancy food to try, but have the option of basic fare if she doesn't like anything fancy on the menu.
Original post by Ghostlady
Hi, My daughter and I went to the open day and she really liked Merton and thinking of putting this college as her option. Trouble is there is nothing on the website, or anywhere else on line, except all that it says is that Merton does excellent food. But just wondering what type of food really. Do they do the basic fare that's like chicken and chips, jacket potato, pizza; that kind of thing? Or is it a lot of food that's for the more adventurous pallet?

Erm, I wouldn't necessarily say 'adventurous' but I don't think they ever served anything you listed there either. Every now and then they might do something like venison, guinea fowl, haggis (Burn's night), but generally it was more things like lasagne, stuffed peppers, marinated chicken with rice and veg, a pasta bake, a pie, often pork of beef in the evenings, that sort of thing. Merton college kitchen actually has a facebook page, although they mainly just like to take photos of desserts :tongue:

I ate at quite a few colleges and I have to say they were all pretty similar in what they served. The main differences were noticed when the cost of the meal went up. For example, I went to a formal at Hertford costing about £9 and it was a bit nicer than Merton, but Merton's formal hall only cost £3.50 back then so, kind of expected.

And last point: you say people eat there a lot. Not necessarily. Plenty of people find food elsewhere, especially in the evening. Lunch was really popular though - not many missed that.
Reply 617
Original post by Ghostlady
I do understand that of course even if you do get an offer, you do not always get the college you requested on the ucas; but as food is quite an important factor as you eat in halls quite a fair bit, she would prefer to have a choice of new fancy food to try, but have the option of basic fare if she doesn't like anything fancy on the menu.

nexttime's post has made me realise I honestly can't remember where I ate most of my evening meals! I did go to early supper (non formal dinner) and formal hall a couple of times a week but certainly not every night, I didn't eat out that much and I cooked about once or twice in three years... I had a mini fridge in my room so I think I used to mainly make cheese sandwiches for dinner having stocked up on a huge lunch in hall (lunches were very good value for money). I went to breakfast about twice in three years - far to early for me! (about 8am...).

I have to say I don't think the food is quite as 'excellent' as they like to make out - I had some random meals on normal days.... The special event meals, however, were usually excellent (subject dinners, end of course meals, sports dinner etc). And if you wangle an invite to SCR (tutors) lunch - not very common as an undergrad! I was invited once following an annual meeting for one of the sports clubs - they are delicious and have a very good cheese board.
Original post by Kiki09
nexttime's post has made me realise I honestly can't remember where I ate most of my evening meals! I did go to early supper (non formal dinner) and formal hall a couple of times a week but certainly not every night, I didn't eat out that much and I cooked about once or twice in three years... I had a mini fridge in my room so I think I used to mainly make cheese sandwiches for dinner having stocked up on a huge lunch in hall (lunches were very good value for money). I went to breakfast about twice in three years - far to early for me! (about 8am...).

I have to say I don't think the food is quite as 'excellent' as they like to make out - I had some random meals on normal days.... The special event meals, however, were usually excellent (subject dinners, end of course meals, sports dinner etc). And if you wangle an invite to SCR (tutors) lunch - not very common as an undergrad! I was invited once following an annual meeting for one of the sports clubs - they are delicious and have a very good cheese board.

There was about a year where I was obsessed with instant mashed potato, and I think that's all I had in the evenings! Although sometimes jacket potato from Ahmed 's too.

The large and much more nutritious lunch made up for it though!
That's great, thanks for the input everyone. My daughter was torn between Balliol and Merton,(she did UNIQ at Balliol) and she has decided to try for Merton as she liked the college and everything they had to offer. Obviously you don't always get the college, but its worth a go :smile: So Ahmed's is that the mertons college dedicated food truck then? I hear colleges are committed to one and stick with it and wont go to any other lol
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending