The Student Room Group

as further maths

I'm currently doing as maths and its going well, I'm thinking about picking up further maths as an as next year, I'm doing ocr mei. Does anyone do it, and how is it in comparison to regular maths?
Original post by corey7695
I'm currently doing as maths and its going well, I'm thinking about picking up further maths as an as next year, I'm doing ocr mei. Does anyone do it, and how is it in comparison to regular maths?

I do non-mei but the syllabus up to AS is essentially the same, A2 FM syllabus changes between ours. AS further maths difficulty is over hyped, it is a bit more challenging than AS maths but not that much more. The only difference is you do not have a C1 equivalent, all the modules you will do are C2/M1 standard in AS. At A2 it gets a harder but again not that much harder than C3/4, just new concepts to learn. In my opinion with proper work over the summer you could do AS and A2 FM next year if you wanted.
Reply 2
Original post by Jai Sandhu
I do non-mei but the syllabus up to AS is essentially the same, A2 FM syllabus changes between ours. AS further maths difficulty is over hyped, it is a bit more challenging than AS maths but not that much more. The only difference is you do not have a C1 equivalent, all the modules you will do are C2/M1 standard in AS. At A2 it gets a harder but again not that much harder than C3/4, just new concepts to learn. In my opinion with proper work over the summer you could do AS and A2 FM next year if you wanted.

so if i did well in maths i could pick up both further maths a levels? is that allowed then?
so if i did well in maths i could pick up both further maths a levels? is that allowed then?

You can probably cover AS further maths over the summer, the concepts are not too difficult, I can offer help if needed and the applied modules are extensions of ones you have already done, also you would need to learn C3. If you can do that in the summer then you can ask your school if you can join the Further Maths set for A2 further maths.
Reply 4
Original post by Jai Sandhu
You can probably cover AS further maths over the summer, the concepts are not too difficult, I can offer help if needed and the applied modules are extensions of ones you have already done, also you would need to learn C3. If you can do that in the summer then you can ask your school if you can join the Further Maths set for A2 further maths.

seems like a lot of work, i don't know if id be able to manage that, a2 maths is supposedly way harder than as maths right?
seems like a lot of work, i don't know if id be able to manage that, a2 maths is supposedly way harder than as maths right?

Difficulty is over hyped, it is mostly just applications of half the stuff you learnt in C2. I found it find and this is coming from someone who got on the A* boundary for GCSE so no maths genius.

Quick Reply

Latest