The Student Room Group

Resitting year 12

I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year. I want to study a maths degree at either Manchester, Lancaster or Warwick and Imperial if I can get the grades. I originally wanted to replace computer Science with further maths but I have been told by the head of maths that it is too late to pick up further maths even after I said I could catch up the AS over the summer. I have been offered statistics a level instead of further maths and I will take this if I can’t self study further maths. If I can’t self study further maths then I will forget applying to Warwick and Imperial. Another problem is I recently just sat my physics end of year exam and I do not think I have done well in the exam. I do have a mitigating circumstance with a passing away in the family and when I contacted imperial they said they would only consider an application from someone who did year 12 twice if there were some mitigating circumstances and said the more evidence you can prove that this affected your work the better. If I do horribly bad in the physics exam then could I possibly study maths and statistics a level at college and then self study further maths or would Imperial and Warwick not accept me because my subject choices of maths, further maths and statistics are too similar. This is the only way I can think off that allows me to not have to do another year. Also, I would have loved to do maths, further maths and economics because I am considering the MORSE degree but the head of economics said that you cannot do economics in one year so I’d have to self study that. I do have uplearn which I could use for economics but if I do an extra year then I would definitely pick maths, further maths and economics. With doing another year I would also be able to apply to the Sutton trust summer schools and the pathways to finance which I regret not applying for. Should I take the extra year or should I try to do maths, further maths and statistics a level or do maths, further maths and physics (if I am allowed to continue with the subject). Thank you
(Original post by Safwan321)I am currently in year 12 studying maths, physics and computer science. I plan to drop computer science at the end of the year. I want to study a maths degree at either Manchester, Lancaster or Warwick and Imperial if I can get the grades. I originally wanted to replace computer Science with further maths but I have been told by the head of maths that it is too late to pick up further maths even after I said I could catch up the AS over the summer. I have been offered statistics a level instead of further maths and I will take this if I can’t self study further maths. If I can’t self study further maths then I will forget applying to Warwick and Imperial. Another problem is I recently just sat my physics end of year exam and I do not think I have done well in the exam. I do have a mitigating circumstance with a passing away in the family and when I contacted imperial they said they would only consider an application from someone who did year 12 twice if there were some mitigating circumstances and said the more evidence you can prove that this affected your work the better. If I do horribly bad in the physics exam then could I possibly study maths and statistics a level at college and then self study further maths or would Imperial and Warwick not accept me because my subject choices of maths, further maths and statistics are too similar. This is the only way I can think off that allows me to not have to do another year. Also, I would have loved to do maths, further maths and economics because I am considering the MORSE degree but the head of economics said that you cannot do economics in one year so I’d have to self study that. I do have uplearn which I could use for economics but if I do an extra year then I would definitely pick maths, further maths and economics. With doing another year I would also be able to apply to the Sutton trust summer schools and the pathways to finance which I regret not applying for. Should I take the extra year or should I try to do maths, further maths and statistics a level or do maths, further maths and physics (if I am allowed to continue with the subject). Thank you

To be perfectly honest your best bet will be to restart 12 with a different set of subjects. Given your interest I would suggest taking Maths, FM and Economics and forget about applying to Imperial. I doubt top universities will accept a mix of Maths, FM and Stats as they are too similar. This seems the most sensible plan if you plan dropping CS and Physics, When you look at Maths universities look for courses that concentrate on Maths and Stats rather than Mechanics. Lancaster is one good example.

Quick Reply

Latest