The Student Room Group

PSYB3 and PSYB4 - June 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by clyde97
It was a general consensus with examiners that measuring crime shouldn't be asked again because its not very psychology like (read it in an examiners report a few years ago). I think the forensic essay will be on theories for offending, probably not a comparison because that was last years' question. I'm also guessing a schizophrenia theories essay as that hasn't been asked yet and I do cognitive development so for anyone that does that I'm thinking either the Nativists or Information Processing for the essay.

Are you sure about not being asked about measuring crime? That's the question my teacher will think come up.

I'm hoping offender profiling doesn't come up! I'm okay with schizophrenia, not as great with mood disorders though. As for cognitive development, I hope we aren't asked about Information Processing as I'm not very confident in AO2 - even comparing with Piaget or Vygotsky I'm not so sure how to do...
Reply 21
Is anyone worried that there will be a lot of research methods involved in PSYB3? I'm doing Social development, mood disorders/schizophrenia and stress, and hoping for there to be research methods in Social (as thats the one I'm worst at)
Hey! Sorry if this has already been answered but does anyone have predictions for Moral Development, Forensic Psychology + Substance Abuse? Hope revision is going well, I am starting to panic now lol
Original post by jen2457
Is anyone worried that there will be a lot of research methods involved in PSYB3? I'm doing Social development, mood disorders/schizophrenia and stress, and hoping for there to be research methods in Social (as thats the one I'm worst at)

I really hope not. I haven't done any revision of research methods. Been too busy revising for my Biology exam tomorrow, and I won't have time on Tuesday morning, I'll be too busy revising the other topics.

Do they do many exams like that?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by kirsty953
I really hope not. I haven't done any revision of research methods. Been too busy revising for my Biology exam tomorrow, and I won't have time on Tuesday morning, I'll be too busy revising the other topics.

Do they do many exams like that?

There has been some in the past, but they usually consist of asking about an experimental design, or the IV and DV. (Mainly synoptic of RM in PSYB1). It is never anything too complicated as seen in PSYB4.

I'm stressing about Biology too! Unit 2 resit went so bad :'(
Original post by silverling
My teacher seems to think IP will come up as well for cognitive development - I hope not though!
She thinks that it might be ways of measuring crime for forensics as well which isn't too great, not terrible though

Not keen on either of them, I hope it's not

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jen2457
There has been some in the past, but they usually consist of asking about an experimental design, or the IV and DV. (Mainly synoptic of RM in PSYB1). It is never anything too complicated as seen in PSYB4.

I'm stressing about Biology too! Unit 2 resit went so bad :'(

I don't mind those areas of research methods so much, you got me worried then! I thought you meant some of the really complicated research method topics may be in this one.

Ah, you're doing Biology too! Which exam board?
I'm sure it didn't go as badly as you think!
I'm doing Cognitive Development, Atypical (Schizophrenia and Mood disorders) and Forensic Psychology.

My predictions (also supported by my teacher) are:
For Cognitive Development: Nativists or Information Processing (possibly compare with Piaget)
For Atypical: Explanations of either since treatments has come up the past two years (more likely schizophrenia than mood disorders).
For Forensic: Offender profiling or measuring/defining crime.

Hope this helps & good luck!!
Did defining and measuring crime is that just an essay on official statistics, self report offender and victim?

What are the AO2's? Don't think I have 8 marks worth of points

And for atypical, what are AO1's for biological explanations for both disorders

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lavenderwhimsy
Hey! Sorry if this has already been answered but does anyone have predictions for Moral Development, Forensic Psychology + Substance Abuse? Hope revision is going well, I am starting to panic now lol

moral development has to be the worst to predict, could be pretty much anything.
was piaget and psychodynamic last year but I wouldn't rule them out.
I think some combination of eisenberg/damon/gilligan is possible.
composite systems/line up procedures have went 5 years without being asked now so i'm revising them a lot.
maybe the examiners don't wanna use them though like measuring crime in forensics, idk.
Hi, anyone doing cognition and law any ideas what the essay will be? Thanks😀😀
What is quantitative differences in IP tho? Like someone ask me if I understand cause I don't

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 33
I don't mind those areas of research methods so much, you got me worried then! I thought you meant some of the really complicated research method topics may be in this one.

Ah, you're doing Biology too! Which exam board?
I'm sure it didn't go as badly as you think!

No :smile: shouldn't be too complicated. I need at least 80 UMS in both PSYB3 and 4 to get an A. I'm so worried.

Also have a feeling that sociocultural explanation of schizophrenia may come up as the essay this year.

Doing AQA Biology, I absolutely hate it!
Original post by jen2457
No :smile: shouldn't be too complicated. I need at least 80 UMS in both PSYB3 and 4 to get an A. I'm so worried.

Also have a feeling that sociocultural explanation of schizophrenia may come up as the essay this year.

Doing AQA Biology, I absolutely hate it!

What did you get for AS? I got an A, my teacher told me that as long as I get a B in both of these exams it's an A overall.

Not sure what AQA Biology is like and how different it is to mine. I do WJEC.
Good Luck though! I'm sure you'll be fine, fingers crossed!
Reply 35
What are people thinking for substance abuse questions and social? Hoping treatments of substance abuse and functions of attachment or caregiver-infant etc. just hopefully not privation etc.! Forensics I don't mind so much, rather not have explanations of offending simply because it's boring...
Reply 36
What did you get for AS? I got an A, my teacher told me that as long as I get a B in both of these exams it's an A overall.

Not sure what AQA Biology is like and how different it is to mine. I do WJEC.
Good Luck though! I'm sure you'll be fine, fingers crossed!

I got 159 UMS and it was 160 for an A :frown:
Asked my teacher whether I should request a remark and he said no!
Really regretting it now though...

Thanks, and good luck to you too!
Original post by jen2457
I got 159 UMS and it was 160 for an A :frown:
Asked my teacher whether I should request a remark and he said no!
Really regretting it now though...

Thanks, and good luck to you too!

Aww, no! That's one reason I don't usually look at the grade boundaries, it's really frustrating knowing you were only a few marks off the next grade. I wonder why he said no?

Good Luck for today! I hope it goes well!
Original post by SteBrazier95
moral development has to be the worst to predict, could be pretty much anything.
was piaget and psychodynamic last year but I wouldn't rule them out.
I think some combination of eisenberg/damon/gilligan is possible.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Any help with the IP?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending