The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

UCL mature application

I really want to go to UCL in September. I meet the entry requirements for the course but my qualifications are 2015. Do you think I still have a chance of being accepted? Is there any options of girthed study I could enroll in now thaf would allow me ti gain entry on time. Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I really want to go to UCL in September. I meet the entry requirements for the course but my qualifications are 2015. Do you think I still have a chance of being accepted? Is there any options of girthed study I could enroll in now thaf would allow me ti gain entry on time. Thank you

sorry for typos! auto correct! I meant any options of further study I could enrol in now that would allow me to gain entry in 2024? Thank you
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Some universities have a three year cut off. It would be best to contact them and find out. If that is the case, you could do an access course, providing they allow students to start them whenever they like.

Course Search (accesstohe.ac.uk)
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by random_matt
Some universities have a three year cut off. It would be best to contact them and find out. If that is the case, you could do an access course, providing they allow students to start them whenever they like.

Course Search (accesstohe.ac.uk)

thank you. I contacted them and they said to apply anyway. The access courses are expensive. Do you have another link to the access course page as that one won't open for some reason
thank you. I contacted them and they said to apply anyway. The access courses are expensive. Do you have another link to the access course page as that one won't open for some reason

Specifically point over course search and click. You can get an advanced learner loan, you do not need to pay it back if you complete it.
Reply 5
Specifically point over course search and click. You can get an advanced learner loan, you do not need to pay it back if you complete it.

Thank you! I wonder if it’s too late to start one now?
Thank you! I wonder if it’s too late to start one now?

I did one which recruited on a monthly basis. Others will have a rigid September/October start. You will just have to search and ask the colleges. I studied with the East Sussex college group and they take on students anytime more or less. However, I would make a November start a hard limit if you want to qualify by June.
Reply 7
I did one which recruited on a monthly basis. Others will have a rigid September/October start. You will just have to search and ask the colleges. I studied with the East Sussex college group and they take on students anytime more or less. However, I would make a November start a hard limit if you want to qualify by June.

Can u do it as a distance learner? I know yeah I would study really hard though to make it happen
Can u do it as a distance learner? I know yeah I would study really hard though to make it happen

I did, there is the option on the search.
Reply 9
I did, there is the option on the search.

Thanks a mill

If they said apply anyway then no harm in doing so. Personally I did do recent study before applying there as a mature student (successfully) which I think was helpful to have as I was able to demonstrate success in similar material elsewhere recently. Although my background educationally was a bit fragmented to be fair!

That said if your original A-levels meet the requirements then they may just be fine with it anyway if you can demonstrate you've been engaged in academic reading/thinking/whatever is relevant to your subject area through your PS?

Also incidentally, did you contact central admissions with your queries or the department admissions tutor? As usually the department will be best placed to advise you on whether you would need/be expected to have recent study or similar.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 11
Original post by artful_lounger
If they said apply anyway then no harm in doing so. Personally I did do recent study before applying there as a mature student (successfully) which I think was helpful to have as I was able to demonstrate success in similar material elsewhere recently. Although my background educationally was a bit fragmented to be fair!

That said if your original A-levels meet the requirements then they may just be fine with it anyway if you can demonstrate you've been engaged in academic reading/thinking/whatever is relevant to your subject area through your PS?

Also incidentally, did you contact central admissions with your queries or the department admissions tutor? As usually the department will be best placed to advise you on whether you would need/be expected to have recent study or similar.

Omg congratulations to you! Yeah I was thinking that too. I’ll look into it more tomorrow. Sometimes it’s so hard to know what’s the right way to go!

It was the general admissions helpline! I’ll see if I can find the admissions tutor!

Did you have to do an interview?
Omg congratulations to you! Yeah I was thinking that too. I’ll look into it more tomorrow. Sometimes it’s so hard to know what’s the right way to go!

It was the general admissions helpline! I’ll see if I can find the admissions tutor!

Did you have to do an interview?

I would recommend contacting the departmental admissions person - each course page should link to the departmental admissions email :smile:

I didn't have an interview or anything, although I applied at the tail end of COVID (deferred entry), plus I applied to one of the smaller humanities departments so I guess they didn't feel the need.

(and thank you!)
(edited 5 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending