The Student Room Group
It's to do with the gradient of the line.

There is a constant power source that acts for a certain amount of time (remember energy = power x time). In the solid state (A to B) you can see how steeply the temperature increases for a given input of energy. In the liquid state (C to D) for the same amount of energy input (i.e. the same distance along the x axis) the temperature rise is less, so it takes more energy to raise the substance by the same temperature so it has a higher specific heat capacity.

Does that help?

Lewis

www.alevelphysicsonline.com
Reply 2
Original post by MrMatheson
It's to do with the gradient of the line.

There is a constant power source that acts for a certain amount of time (remember energy = power x time). In the solid state (A to B) you can see how steeply the temperature increases for a given input of energy. In the liquid state (C to D) for the same amount of energy input (i.e. the same distance along the x axis) the temperature rise is less, so it takes more energy to raise the substance by the same temperature so it has a higher specific heat capacity.

Does that help?

Lewis

www.alevelphysicsonline.com

I answred that uestion.
What would you write for 4cii).
state explain possibility of uncertainty in the test.
\Without looking at the mark scheme what would you write?
My mistake.

If you have the shower running for a long time the hot water that comes out will start to heat up the surroundings, including the shower, the pipes in the room and so on, which in turn may cause the water coming in to be hotter than the original 17.4.

Having just looked at the examiners report, it says: Only a few candidates gave the expected answers. Most wrote about heat loss inpipework or the showerhead.

A poor question that OCR included that year.
Original post by Zenarthra
I answred that uestion.
What would you write for 4cii).
state explain possibility of uncertainty in the test.
\Without looking at the mark scheme what would you write?

Original post by MrMatheson
My mistake.

If you have the shower running for a long time the hot water that comes out will start to heat up the surroundings, including the shower, the pipes in the room and so on, which in turn may cause the water coming in to be hotter than the original 17.4.

Having just looked at the examiners report, it says: Only a few candidates gave the expected answers. Most wrote about heat loss inpipework or the showerhead.

A poor question that OCR included that year.

The UK domestic mains supply has a tolerance range of +10 / -6 %.

Assuming the 5kW heating element is rated at the nominal supply voltage of 230V, the actual power output can be in the range 4.4kW to 6kW.

Quick Reply

Latest