The Student Room Group

do we need these materials in our foundation year?

I’m studying Architectural Design Technology w Foundation Year, but they gave us a list of materials to buy which I’m not sure if it applies to me because in our first year were doing Foundation Maths I, Communication and study skills and Problem Solving with Science and Technology. Nothing related to architecture is included in our timetable for the first year and I really do not want to waste money on materials I’ll rarely use. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.
The only people who can advise you of this are those working at your uni. Ask your personal tutor/course convenor.
Reply 2
Original post by artful_lounger
The only people who can advise you of this are those working at your uni. Ask your personal tutor/course convenor.

They haven’t responded to my emails and I need an answer before Monday (the due date).
Original post by Derin14x
They haven’t responded to my emails and I need an answer before Monday (the due date).

Well you've not even listed your uni so even if there were previous students on here who might know, they have absolutely no way of advising.

Also you can buy materials whenever, no idea what due date you are referring to.

Just go and speak to them in person on Monday.
Reply 4
Well you've not even listed your uni so even if there were previous students on here who might know, they have absolutely no way of advising.

Also you can buy materials whenever, no idea what due date you are referring to.

Just go and speak to them in person on Monday.

I am referring to the due date set by a course leader who I spoke with this week and like I said, hasn’t responded to my emails. I was only shown the materials but not advised to specifically get them because other students who weren’t taking foundation architecture but architecture, were in the induction class. I would go and speak to them on Monday but I have a lecture at a different campus, so that is why I am seeking advice from people who take foundation architecture degrees because it’s likely they were in the same situation, if no one has answer or can not advise me, that’s ok. I’m just generally asking for me and others who are confused. I am not disclosing my University because I do not want to. Thanks
I am referring to the due date set by a course leader who I spoke with this week and like I said, hasn’t responded to my emails. I was only shown the materials but not advised to specifically get them because other students who weren’t taking foundation architecture but architecture, were in the induction class. I would go and speak to them on Monday but I have a lecture at a different campus, so that is why I am seeking advice from people who take foundation architecture degrees because it’s likely they were in the same situation, if no one has answer or can not advise me, that’s ok. I’m just generally asking for me and others who are confused. I am not disclosing my University because I do not want to. Thanks

A foundation year in architecture is firstly different from a foundation degree in architecture, and secondly you cannot assume under any circumstances that any aspect of the course or teaching or requirements would be the same at any other university, because it almost certainly wouldn't be.

You aren't taking A-levels anymore. People aren't all doing the same exam board with the same questions and same expectations. Even for programmes with specific accreditation requirements teaching and assessment formats differ wildly. And any advice you have from someone at a different uni won't necessarily apply to yours and may in fact be completely wrong for your situation.

Which is why the only people who can advise you are the staff and students at your own university. Presumably there is nothing stopping you from going to the one campus from the other after or before your lecture so you should make arrangements accordingly.

I'd point out also that if your aim is to progress to the first year of the course after your foundation year anyway, you will presumably need these materials sooner or later, and I also assume they are not perishable items. Therefore it's perfectly sensible to just buy them now and store them until you need them anyway.
Reply 6
A foundation year in architecture is firstly different from a foundation degree in architecture, and secondly you cannot assume under any circumstances that any aspect of the course or teaching or requirements would be the same at any other university, because it almost certainly wouldn't be.

You aren't taking A-levels anymore. People aren't all doing the same exam board with the same questions and same expectations. Even for programmes with specific accreditation requirements teaching and assessment formats differ wildly. And any advice you have from someone at a different uni won't necessarily apply to yours and may in fact be completely wrong for your situation.

Which is why the only people who can advise you are the staff and students at your own university. Presumably there is nothing stopping you from going to the one campus from the other after or before your lecture so you should make arrangements accordingly.

I'd point out also that if your aim is to progress to the first year of the course after your foundation year anyway, you will presumably need these materials sooner or later, and I also assume they are not perishable items. Therefore it's perfectly sensible to just buy them now and store them until you need

I never assumed people were taking the same exam board and I’m well informed that I am not doing A Levels. I was looking for answers from people who could relate to my situation, so my apologies if that doesn’t make sense to you or if I’m stubborn. It’s not wrong to seek advice from people from other Universities doing what I’m doing and I’m aware it may not be the same for everyone, but that’s for me to take into consideration and discuss with my peers who are taking my course, so we can help eachother.

It’s also great to know you have mind-reading abilities since you know how easy it is for me to travel from one campus to another. I mean, nothing is stopping me right??

And not everyone has the financial means to buy materials, which is why I was asking if it was necessary for my first year. I’ll definitely need the materials, but I can’t afford them right now, not that I have to explain myself, but in this case I do. You don’t have to reply Lol, I can see your frustrated with me already. Take care

Edit: And it’s just the materials I needed advice on, not the whole damn degree. Of course it won’t be the same for everyone. I just wanted to know if it was necessary because to buy in my case. A simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ would have been fine.
(edited 7 months ago)
I never assumed people were taking the same exam board and I’m well informed that I am not doing A Levels. I was looking for answers from people who could relate to my situation, so my apologies if that doesn’t make sense to you or if I’m stubborn. It’s not wrong to seek advice from people from other Universities doing what I’m doing and I’m aware it may not be the same for everyone, but that’s for me to take into consideration and discuss with my peers who are taking my course, so we can help eachother.

It’s also great to know you have mind-reading abilities since you know how easy it is for me to travel from one campus to another. I mean, nothing is stopping me right??

And not everyone has the financial means to buy materials, which is why I was asking if it was necessary for my first year. I’ll definitely need the materials, but I can’t afford them right now, not that I have to explain myself, but in this case I do. You don’t have to reply Lol, I can see your frustrated with me already. Take care

Edit: And it’s just the materials I needed advice on, not the whole damn degree. Of course it won’t be the same for everyone. I just wanted to know if it was necessary because to buy in my case. A simple ‘Yes’ or ‘No’ would have been fine.

I stated and then explained why there wasn't a yes/no answer and suggested a solution. If you aren't happy with that then that's your problem.

For someone casting aspersions about mind reading you seem to expect others to read your mind to know exactly what course you're on and what is required and be able to somehow divine what the answer is. You not liking the fact that is not possible does not change things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending