The Student Room Group

UK Muslim society wants forced sex segregation in UK universities

Scroll to see replies

Original post by futbol
I'm atheiest and I completely agree with them.

Why do you agree with them/ what are your reasons?
Original post by Gladiator12345
Yes the islamic societies in unis

WTH!! Aren't the Islamic Societies segregated? If they're not segregated, how come they're not? Are all Islamic Societies non-segregated?
Original post by Raymat
WTH!! Aren't the Islamic Societies segregated? If they're not segregated, how come they're not? Are all Islamic Societies non-segregated?

From what I've heard from different people in different societies they are allowed to mix together and begin to mingle. They use it in a way to get married
Segregated schools are part of British culture. What's the difference?
Good idea. Guys and girls shouldn't mix because they can get us preganant by speaking to us.
This is why muslim countries have not invented anything, contributed to knowledge or innovated anything of substance in the past 1,2,3,4 centuries. What has Islam given to the world and no the islamic golden age had nothing to do with Islam
Original post by BrightBlueLight
Universities are not the same. And these. muslims would have our entire life segregated if they could and this is why this backwards view on gender needs stopped. This behaviour belongs in an arab bazaar not in 21st century Europe

You are right, it is not the same. Making people sit on different sides of the room in a lecture theatre is far less severe than an outright ban from an educational institution based on your chromosomes. I'm yet to see a thread on TSR claiming that Eton should be closed down. Not that I agree with either, but I do like consistency.

I'm also curious as to who these Muslims are? As of yet, no details have been shared as to who this Muslim Society is.

Although I'm sure you can find some Muslims expressing such views if you go looking, but I have no reason to believe this in any way represents the majority of British Muslims. Unfortunately there are plenty of people who will claim that minority views are representative of the population because it suits their politics.
Original post by hyenas.ma
I have realized why should we respect the wishes of these people when some of them don't even have the courtesy of listening to others views.

Reading the rest of your post, shouldn;t that be "shouldn't" ?
Possibly it's only my set up (screen size and layout) but that thread-header breaks terribly unfortunately in the sidebar:

Muslim community want forced sex
segregation in UK universities
Reply 29
I wonder when people will stop being so small minded and understand that the opinions/actions of a few does not represent the majority

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Skip_Snip
Reading the rest of your post, shouldn;t that be "shouldn't" ?

what i am trying to say is we shouldn't respect their view of segregating everyone because

1) they don't respect the views of others &
2) they should not be at liberty to impose segregation on others, if they don't want to mix then it is they who should move and sit elsewhere
Original post by Wade-
I wonder when people will stop being so small minded and understand that the opinions/actions of a few does not represent the majority

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is that, it is the few who actually get their views heard, it is they who have the largest platforms and it is they who try to impose their views on others with a false sense of security thinking they represent the majority. Because we see this we believe it is a majority....
Reply 32
Original post by hyenas.ma
The problem is that, it is the few who actually get their views heard, it is they who have the largest platforms and it is they who try to impose their views on others with a false sense of security thinking they represent the majority. Because we see this we believe it is a majority....

But that's largely the fault of the media, stories about extremism make for much better headlines. People shouldn't be so ignorant as to take everything at face value and understand when a group of 10 Muslims say something that by no means signifies a majority

Posted from TSR Mobile
David Cameron will allow them and join in himself. Come to think of it all politicians will
it is unrealistic and will never happen, so no point worrying about it.
Original post by Wade-
But that's largely the fault of the media, stories about extremism make for much better headlines. People shouldn't be so ignorant as to take everything at face value and understand when a group of 10 Muslims say something that by no means signifies a majority

Posted from TSR Mobile

True.
Original post by fire_and_ice
Here we go again. These people are a MINORITY. Their voices are nothing compared to the rest of the Muslim population in the UK. Thus, prepare for nothing.

Just like every good thing has it's share of bad (extremism in this case), Islam does too.

Yet, when a racist incident happens from a white person to a Muslim, we are told there is a mass outbreak of Islamophobia and how Muslims are scared to come out their community's due to racism being rife in the UK: We are never told 'islamophobic' attacks are from a minority of whites, no, quite different, the media, minorities, white liberals etc. make show of it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Gladiator12345
I know the ins and outs of muslim societies in unis, the majority of people who go there look for boyfriends/girlfriends. So why do they want segregated classes when they don't have segregated societies? Dual Standards

i would suspect that like most religious societies , fairly soon after the start of the year it seperates into the 'fundies' and the 'funnies' ,

the fundies disappearing off to franticely mass -debate over some obscure point of theology , while the funnies engage in polite to less than polite social activities under the careful cover of it being religious ...
(edited 8 years ago)
Which society, how much influence, where do they operate, and if so why should I care.
Original post by Catholic_
Yet, when a racist incident happens from a white person to a Muslim, we are told there is a mass outbreak of Islamophobia and how Muslims are scared to come out their community's due to racism being rife in the UK: We are never told 'islamophobic' attacks are from a minority of whites, no, quite different, the media, minorities, white liberals etc. make show of it.

Sure, like how Hicks shot three Muslims over "a parking lot". Yep, you're right, that really was presented as an act of Islamaphobia in the media, wasn't it?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending