The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Letter

Has anyone else received the letter from Durham saying that as they have oversubscribed courses and they want everything to be fair etc etc then they are still considering your application and you can expect to hear a response by the end of March (!!)?

Just got it today. Was quite a shock when I saw a small Durham envelope in my letter box as my first offer from them came in a big one. It was quite a relief to see it was only this.

Anyways, has anyone else who hasn't got their offer yet received this or is it just for certain subjects (I've applied for NatSci)?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I received one from ole Bill, but he was just inviting me round for tea. :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
I got one, for nat sci too. Guess we must be borderline students, more intrested in my chemistry reply atm though really as im looking to pick an insurance!!
Reply 3
Yeah I got one too, for natsci aswell, not too happy about having to wait til the end of march because I really really want an offer from durham:smile:
Good Luck to you all x
Reply 4
They're pefectly entitled to take until then, I don't really know where this insane expectation to have offers by a week before you applied came from.
Reply 5
I'm not complaining as such, just expressing my disappointment. The only reason I want a decision soon is because I need to know if I need to be looking at alternative places and going to open days etc which are a distance away and will include missing a day of college and paying for a train fare.
Reply 6
Yup i got that too (also a NatSci). Dont other unis go from statistics from previous years to work out how many offers to give after they have a certain amount of applications, hence saving offers for late applicants? Couldnt of Durham done the same?
Oh well nice to hear from them anyway, as oppose to hearing in March without a word in between!
Reply 7
jonnylan
I'm not complaining as such, just expressing my disappointment. The only reason I want a decision soon is because I need to know if I need to be looking at alternative places and going to open days etc which are a distance away and will include missing a day of college and paying for a train fare.

I firmly believe you should visit most of the places you applied to anyway, you might get a pleasant surprise from visiting a university you previously expected to be rubbish.
Reply 8
yeh, i got one too, but for economics and politics.
Reply 9
Christo
I received one from ole Bill, but he was just inviting me round for tea. :smile:

:eek: You got a letter from Bill Bryson?
i know people who received them, i don't think its anything to worry about, they're good applicants :smile:
Reply 11
I got one telling me they'd get back to me by the end of february for eonomics and politics.
Reply 12
I got one of these last year, then got an offer a week later, so i'm not sure how much truth is in them. However, I do know of lots of people who had to wait for ages for offers. I guess it just varies between departments.
got one coupla days ago.
Reply 14
i got one yesterday saying that they hope to get back to me by the end of feb, i'm a law applicant.
Everyones course seems to b oversubscribed. Mine included and from last years stats im surprised its sooooo oversubscribed. Annoying letter perhaps they should spend more time reading through applications and less time righting excusses.:p:
Reply 16
They're probably sending these letters out automatically to almost every department's applicants.

It will take less time and money to send all these letters out than it will answering phones, emails etc from panicked applicants wondering whether they're in or not.
dave134
They're probably sending these letters out automatically to almost every department's applicants.

It will take less time and money to send all these letters out than it will answering phones, emails etc from panicked applicants wondering whether they're in or not.

true. :rolleyes:
Reply 18
received on yesterday. they said that they will reply at the end of march (!!!) i applied for philosophy by the way. i no sum one who got that as well, applied for pyschology.
Reply 19
I haven't received one of those letters. Should I have done? :confused:

Latest