The Student Room Group

Super Quick M1 Bearings Question

My attempt (or have I gone wrong somewhere in the drawing)

WIN_20150602_200507.JPG

Question:

In an orienteering exercise, a team hike 8 km from the starting point,S, on a bearing of 300 then 6 km on a bearing 040 to the finishing point,F. Find the magnitude and direction of the displacement from S to F.
Original post by creativebuzz
My attempt (or have I gone wrong somewhere in the drawing)

WIN_20150602_200507.JPG

Question:

In an orienteering exercise, a team hike 8 km from the starting point,S, on a bearing of 300 then 6 km on a bearing 040 to the finishing point,F. Find the magnitude and direction of the displacement from S to F.

I believe your diagram is incorrect.
Original post by lizard54142
I believe your diagram is incorrect.

Where have I gone wrong?
Where have I gone wrong?

The "40 degrees" should be on the other side of the line. It might help if you draw north as straight up.
The "40 degrees" should be on the other side of the line. It might help if you draw north as straight up.

But

WIN_20150602_202410.JPG

The mark scheme says this:

Attachment not found

So my 40 is correct but not my 60 and I don't know why :/
But

WIN_20150602_202410.JPG

The mark scheme says this:

Attachment not found

So my 40 is correct but not my 60 and I don't know why :/

It's because you're assuming that the second route will finish at the north-line, it doesn't! Your angles are all correct but the length of the second route is incorrect.
It's because you're assuming that the second route will finish at the north-line, it doesn't! Your angles are all correct but the length of the second route is incorrect.

Ah I understand what you're saying! But in the mark scheme, why did they put the 60 degrees there/where did that come from/what rule?
Ah I understand what you're saying! But in the mark scheme, why did they put the 60 degrees there/where did that come from/what rule?

Notice the vertical dashed line at S... the angle between this line and the first route is 60 degrees, so they've just used the "F" angle rule (can't remember the proper name from GCSE, corresponding angles I think).
Notice the vertical dashed line at S... the angle between this line and the first route is 60 degrees, so they've just used the "F" angle rule (can't remember the proper name from GCSE, corresponding angles I think).

I still can't seem to visualise that :/
I still can't seem to visualise that :/

k (1).png

The two red lines are parallel, so the two angles which are shown by the blue arcs are equal.
k (1).png

The two red lines are parallel, so the two angles which are shown by the blue arcs are equal.

Got it now! Thank you so much :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest