The Student Room Group

Core 3

How do you work out the range of a function?
and when a question says 'for all real values of x' does this mean values bigger than 0?
Original post by abbie4321
How do you work out the range of a function?
and when a question says 'for all real values of x' does this mean values bigger than 0?

The range of a function is the possible output values, i.e possible values of f(x)f(x). "For all real values of x" means every number on the (real) number line.
Range of a function is all of the possible y values. In an y=mx + c eqn then f(x) <_ c
Or you can complete the square if it's a quadratic eqn.

For all real values of x means a rational number. so not sqrt -1 or 36578.4567890 recurring
Original post by Jacob_paul4
Range of a function is all of the possible y values. In an y=mx + c eqn then f(x) <_ c

For all real values of x means a rational number. so not sqrt -1 or 36578.4567890 recurring

This is incorrect.
Original post by lizard54142
This is incorrect.

Would it not be more useful to give the correct answer then you absolute salad?
Edit: you have given the answers, apologies, you aren't a salad.
(edited 8 years ago)
Would it not be more useful to give the correct answer then you absolute salad?

I've never been called a "salad" before...

The range of f(x)=mx+cf(x)=mx+c is not f(x)<cf(x) < c, it is f(x)Rf(x) \in \mathbb{R}, or you could say <f(x)<+-\infty<f(x)<+\infty

You are correct about 1\sqrt{-1} not being real, but all non-complex irrationals are also real.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6

As lizard points out, your range is completely wrong for y = mx + c. If there are no restrictions on the domain of x then this function can 'hit' every real value - just draw a graph of a straight line if you're not convinced!

And "all real values of x" includes irrational numbers, recurring decimals etc. It only excludes complex numbers with non-zero imaginary part.
Original post by davros
As lizard points out, your range is completely wrong for y = mx + c. If there are no restrictions on the domain of x then this function can 'hit' every real value - just draw a graph of a straight line if you're not convinced!

And "all real values of x" includes irrational numbers, recurring decimals etc. It only excludes complex numbers with non-zero imaginary part.

mhmm, I've not got a question on this topic wrong yet, but I've explained it without thinking. Not to worry.
Reply 8
Edexcel?
Reply 9
Can someone please help! I got stuck on this question so in case something like this comes up in the exam tomorrow...

"solve |x|-1=|x^2 - 3|" Now is anyone able to step by step show (and explain why) how to get the 4 solutions wanted (I've checked they are; 2,-2, 0.5(root(17)-1) and -0.5(root(17)-1).

Thank you!
Original post by RaymondG8
Can someone please help! I got stuck on this question so in case something like this comes up in the exam tomorrow...

"solve |x|-1=|x^2 - 3|" Now is anyone able to step by step show (and explain why) how to get the 4 solutions wanted (I've checked they are; 2,-2, 0.5(root(17)-1) and -0.5(root(17)-1).

Thank you!

x1=x23|x| - 1=|x^2-3|
±x1=±(x23)\pm x -1 = \pm(x^2-3)

Just evaluate each case.
x1=x23|x| - 1=|x^2-3|
±x1=±(x23)\pm x -1 = \pm(x^2-3)

Just evaluate each case.

How do I choose which solutions are correct if not told? by evaluating the equations I get 4 extra solutions; 1,-1 and 0.5(1+0r-root(17))
Original post by RaymondG8
How do I choose which solutions are correct if not told? by evaluating the equations I get 4 extra solutions; 1,-1 and 0.5(1+0r-root(17))

For every solution you get, check each one simply by substituting back into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation, it is a valid solution.

e.g.

11=0|1| - 1 = 0
123=2=20|1^2 - 3| = |-2| = 2 \neq 0

So x = 1 is not a solution
For every solution you get, check each one simply by substituting back into the original equation. If it satisfies the equation, it is a valid solution.

e.g.

11=0|1| - 1 = 0
123=2=20|1^2 - 3| = |-2| = 2 \neq 0

So x = 1 is not a solution

Awesome, thank you very much

Quick Reply

Latest