The Student Room Group

Right choice?

I do 3 a level and 2 level 3 courses (Core maths and EPQ) as enrichments in year 12. I do Sociology, English Language and Art.

I picked an EPQ because it goes well with my essay based subjects and UCAS points. I picked Core maths because of its practicality - u can use it in real life and bonus UCAS points but is it worth it? Because I know taking Core mtahs in second year is an option but I would rather fully focus on my 3 courses then bc of actual exams etc.

I also know Unis don’t recognise CM as ‘important’ but it’s more practical than academic for my choice.

Any advice?
Original post by blacada
I do 3 a level and 2 level 3 courses (Core maths and EPQ) as enrichments in year 12. I do Sociology, English Language and Art.

I picked an EPQ because it goes well with my essay based subjects and UCAS points. I picked Core maths because of its practicality - u can use it in real life and bonus UCAS points but is it worth it? Because I know taking Core mtahs in second year is an option but I would rather fully focus on my 3 courses then bc of actual exams etc.

I also know Unis don’t recognise CM as ‘important’ but it’s more practical than academic for my choice.

Any advice?

Hi @blacada,

Hope you're doing well. Sounds like you've got some really great A level choices, what degree are you thinking of doing?
You're right, Core Maths is a good practical skill to have and doing an EPQ can help you build up some really great essay writing and reasearch skills for university. But make sure you prioritise you A level subjects and if you feel the like Core Maths will be too much, it may be best to drop it. The EPQ is also a big commitment, so think about how much you can handle.
Generally, it is dependent on the university you apply to when it comes to accepting Core Maths. If a university works according to UCAS tariff its likely that they will count Core Maths, but its always best to ask the admissions team to see what they say.

Hope this helps,

Faheema (Lancaster University Student Abassador for Psychology)
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @blacada,

Hope you're doing well. Sounds like you've got some really great A level choices, what degree are you thinking of doing?
You're right, Core Maths is a good practical skill to have and doing an EPQ can help you build up some really great essay writing and reasearch skills for university. But make sure you prioritise you A level subjects and if you feel the like Core Maths will be too much, it may be best to drop it. The EPQ is also a big commitment, so think about how much you can handle.
Generally, it is dependent on the university you apply to when it comes to accepting Core Maths. If a university works according to UCAS tariff its likely that they will count Core Maths, but its always best to ask the admissions team to see what they say.

Hope this helps,

Faheema (Lancaster University Student Abassador for Psychology)

Hi! I don’t know what I want to study as a degree yet no idea but Core maths is my main issue because some teachers are “concerned” over my choices and it may dilute my other grades so I don’t know whether to leave it until second year or even do it at all.

Quick Reply

Latest