The Student Room Group

Should I take core maths?

Hey I'm in year 11 contemplating what to pick for alevels and i stumbled upon core maths and for some context I want to study medicine so I'm wandering if core maths will be useful for bmat and ucat or not, thank you in advance for responding!
Original post by Highacheiver
Hey I'm in year 11 contemplating what to pick for alevels and i stumbled upon core maths and for some context I want to study medicine so I'm wandering if core maths will be useful for bmat and ucat or not, thank you in advance for responding!

Core maths is not an A-level, it is likely something you would do alongside 3 A-levels. From what I know it is quite useful in the fact that a lot of it is maths that you use in real life, and if you do well at maths at the moment, you are quite likely to do well in core maths. If you have any more questions, please ask :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your advice and taking your time to respond so since it's everyday maths will it be useful for UCAT? And I plan to take biology, chemistry and physics for alevel
Reply 3
I also do quite well in maths :smile:
Reply 4
I also do quite well in maths :smile:

I would look at the specification to check whether is something you want to do.

https://amsp.org.uk/universities/post-16-specifications/core-maths/
Reply 5

I’m going into y13 and am currently studying core maths I would definitely recommend as many unis and subjects view it as useful as you learn everyday maths skills like how to calculate mortgages and statistics which is useful for so many jobs. It is worth about half an alevel which for some unis will give you more points towards ucas
Reply 6
Original post by Lettie334(
I’m going into y13 and am currently studying core maths I would definitely recommend as many unis and subjects view it as useful as you learn everyday maths skills like how to calculate mortgages and statistics which is useful for so many jobs. It is worth about half an alevel which for some unis will give you more points towards ucas

Thank you so much for the advice

Quick Reply

Latest