The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster: does Core Maths/EPQ count as a fourth a level?

Originally I was going to do History, Spanish, History of Art and Physics, but I've recently had a change of heart and want to pursue a career in medicine, specifically neurology (not completely random - medicine has always been at the back of my mind but I had been too scared to actually go for it). Anyway, I would like to keep Spanish and History (if possible), but along with those i want to do chemistry and biology (i would change this on results day). However, the Harris Westminster website states that if i do two sciences, i also need to do Core Maths/EPQ, but I am wondering if that counts as a fourth a level and i would need to drop spanish or history, or if i still need to do those 4 A-levels plus Core maths/epq on top of it.
Original post by laundrybasket
Originally I was going to do History, Spanish, History of Art and Physics, but I've recently had a change of heart and want to pursue a career in medicine, specifically neurology (not completely random - medicine has always been at the back of my mind but I had been too scared to actually go for it). Anyway, I would like to keep Spanish and History (if possible), but along with those i want to do chemistry and biology (i would change this on results day). However, the Harris Westminster website states that if i do two sciences, i also need to do Core Maths/EPQ, but I am wondering if that counts as a fourth a level and i would need to drop spanish or history, or if i still need to do those 4 A-levels plus Core maths/epq on top of it.

Medicine is crazy competitive.
Best advice to you is to do 3 A Levels only, that way you maximise the grades. The quality of the grades matter, whether there are 4 or 3 A Levels matters less.

I'm going to move your thread to the medicine forum now where you can receive further reassurance on this.
P.S. Are you Spanish?
(Original post by 04MR17)Medicine is crazy competitive.
Best advice to you is to do 3 A Levels only, that way you maximise the grades. The quality of the grades matter, whether there are 4 or 3 A Levels matters less.

I'm going to move your thread to the medicine forum now where you can receive further reassurance on this.

Original post by 04MR17
P.S. Are you Spanish?

No I'm not Spanish
No I'm not Spanish

Then I would do 3 A Levels only and get as high grades as you can

Core maths and EPQ are both equivalent to 1/2 an A-Level, so are equivalent to 4 A-Levels overall. As others have said, 4 are not necessary for med, and can be a lot of additional work, but at Harris Westminster you would have to do all 4.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending