The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
i was under the impression that this would be done if a college a) was full whilst college b) wasnt.

Castle has the highest number of applicants per place so i would be suprised if they took ppl out of the "pool".
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
They have been known to, it all depends on the number of applicants they have for that specific college. Obviously you have more of a chance of being sent on to a college with a lower application ratio but it still happens in Castle and in Hatfield (my friend doing Physics did an open application and got placed here.)
Reply 3
A friend of mine sent in an open application and got put into University College...he declined to go to Leeds! :mad:
abrp
i was under the impression that this would be done if a college a) was full whilst college b) wasnt.

Castle has the highest number of applicants per place so i would be suprised if they took ppl out of the "pool".

That's not quite true, each college has a quota per subject. So although less likely than somewhere else it is not too unlikely that someone is pooled to castle in a subject they happen to have less of
It does happen, although most people here applied to be here (as I'm sure is the case in most colleges).
Mattmoy_2000
It does happen, although most people here applied to be here (as I'm sure is the case in most colleges).

Except Mary's before it was co-ed. 0.6 applications to places, lol.
Reply 7
it seems like there are so few students doing each subject at each college
thanks everyone's who's replied though :smile:
i was really intrigued after everything i've heard
durhamdosser
Obviously you have more of a chance of being sent on to a college with a lower application ratio but it still happens in Castle and in Hatfield (my friend doing Physics did an open application and got placed here.)

Don't forget the friend of that physics friend who we both know does Engineering... he also went for an open application and got Hatfield too.:wink:
Reply 9
so is Hatfield similar University college?
Hatfield is Castle's evil twin.
Reply 11
ooh ok
i purely chose on the basis of being near my department
it must be so far from the colleges on the hill to go into the centre of durham
Not really, only about 15 minutes walk
Reply 13
yeah but drunk and in heels?
lol not that i'd always be drunk and wearing heels at all :P
Reply 14
It is seriously not that bad once you are used to it, trust me. Plus there's a park on the way back!
Not that I would ever condone playing in a children's park after club chuck out and annoying the locals
(...but there's a roundabout and everything!)
My friend applied for Sociology open and was put in Castle (but she is also going to Leeds). I think vaguely hippyish liberal subject applicants get pooled there because generally, they are nice people and not rabid Tories. :biggrin:
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Reply 15
she's going to leeds uni?
im planning on putting durham as my firm and sheffield as my insurance
leeds is just my gap year-i have a job there
messica
I think vaguely hippyish liberal subject applicants get pooled there because generally, they are nice people and not rabid Tories. :biggrin:
Sorry, couldn't resist.

I know sociology and anthropology students who are Tories, and I'm sure there are plenty that get pooled to Castle who are Tories. Subject area doesn't necessarily determine political affiliation.:wink:
Reply 17
One of my housemates made an open application and was put in Castle, it depends upon your subject. They want to try and have an even spread.

Latest