The Student Room Group

What is The Best Cambridge College for Me?

Hi All,
I've heard that there is a quite large divide between the liberal, less prestigious and easier to get into colleges than the more conservative, more prestigious but more elitist colleges.

What would be best to go for as an upper middle class, central wing Computer Science student? Would Jesus College be a good choice? What other colleges would be good?
It's not true that some are easier to get into - the pooling process means that even if you apply to a larger, more popular college, if they think you are good enough for Cambridge and deserve a place you may get another from a "less popular" college. Thus, applying to a popular or less popular college has no difference. If you are good enough, you'll get an offer, irrespective of where you applied
As above, all are as difficult to get into on average (there are one or two exceptions which is for specific course and college combinations, like maths at Trinity which is disproportionately oversubscribed due to incorrect beliefs stemming from the college's historical association with the subject; CS has no such issues I'm aware of). Invariably all will have some variation in their social strata and political spectra as well.

You're overthinking it a little I think. They're really glorified halls of residence for the most part - it's not like you are unable to associate with members of other colleges or spend time at other colleges while you are there. Teaching is centrally delivered for everything except supervisions, and you can have supervisions arranged by your DoS at any college.

More relevant things to consider I gather are location relative to the department and lecture sites for your course, facilities offered in college (some have specific things others don't - like Girton has a heated pool I believe), cost of rent, whether you need to prepay on your college battel for meals or if they are "pay as you go" (and whether there are cooking facilities available to you).
Reply 3
Original post by EnigmaChess
Hi All,
I've heard that there is a quite large divide between the liberal, less prestigious and easier to get into colleges than the more conservative, more prestigious but more elitist colleges.

What would be best to go for as an upper middle class, central wing Computer Science student? Would Jesus College be a good choice? What other colleges would be good?

What about Pembroke College, Cambridge University? :wink: But perhaps you'll love the library and cricket ground at Jesus College, Cambridge University? :smile: lol
Reply 4
Original post by EnigmaChess
Hi All,

Apply to whichever college you want to. Have you looked at a map to see the distances between colleges and the Computer Science department? I think that Churchill has the most computer science undergraduates.

Also, take some time to select your other UCAS choices carefully. Computer Science is very competitive and many talented people receive more rejections than they expect. (You can see the number of applications to Cambridge here... https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics )

Please disregard any labels you wish to apply to yourself regarding class because this is as irrelevant to an application as DofE. You are a peer of all the other applicants. All applicants will be preparing to get a high mark in the entrance test as well as high scores in A levels. Study independently beyond the A level syllabus to show you have a genuine curiosity and enthusiasm for the subject. Work experience is not required. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending