The Student Room Group

Whats more important to the big 4: the university or the degree?

When recruiting do the big 4 place a greater emphasis on the degree or on the university? For example would a degree in management or english from a target university such as warwick be more beneficial then an accounting degree from a non target, russell group uni such as birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by M_xxx113
When recruiting do the big 4 place a greater emphasis on the degree or on the university? For example would a degree in management or english from a target university such as warwick be more beneficial then an accounting degree from a non target, russell group uni such as birmingham?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would be sensible to mention what you're applying for.

Generally for big 4 they don't have "target universities". They want a 2.1 and a set amount of UCAS. Beyond that they don't much care, at least for audit which is the biggest part of the business.

Given the options mentioned, I'd forget about English and do either management or accounting. Probably management at Warwick for me out of the three, but any of the three could do the trick really.
Original post by M1011

Generally for big 4 they don't have "target universities". They want a 2.1 and a set amount of UCAS. Beyond that they don't much care, at least for audit which is the biggest part of the business.

Given the options mentioned, I'd forget about English and do either management or accounting. Probably management at Warwick for me out of the three, but any of the three could do the trick really.

Would doing an English degree be of hindrance though? I've heard psychology/history grads getting offers

Posted from TSR Mobile
They have well developed application processes and selection rounds so they sort candidates on those, if you meet the 2.1 and UCAS criteria you are in the game, if you get through all their selection rounds you get an offer.
It's not really the degree, it's just that you're more likely to do well on numerical psychometric tests if you did a Maths degree over a humanities one.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
But generally speaking if you had to choose, in the financial sector which is more important: the university or the degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by M_xxx113
But generally speaking if you had to choose, in the financial sector which is more important: the university or the degree?

Posted from TSR Mobile

the university
Original post by Exceptional
It's not really the degree, it's just that you're more likely to do well on numerical psychometric tests if you did a Maths degree over a humanities one.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would an AS in maths be suffice for the numerical tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Neither tbh, but the uni I suppose if I must choose one.
Reply 9
Original post by grassntai
Would doing an English degree be of hindrance though? I've heard psychology/history grads getting offers

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're talking big 4 audit, no the degree subject doesn't matter. They do other tests to show you have the relevant numeric skills.

However, in general I'd say English isn't the most useful degree to have. Your career aspirations may change 3 years from now - you leave more doors open doing something like Management imo (I'm assuming it's a BSc and you get the Warwick rep).
Reply 10
I have been told that generally degrees like management and international business are considered to be 'soft' degrees.
Do whatever degree you want, if anything a different degree background helps you stand out from a sea of accounting and finance degrees and helps you bring new insights to situations that your colleagues won't have. Big 4 doesn't care what degree you did, they care that you got a 2 1 and to a lesser extent what uni you went to. Target unis doesn't exist as a concept, sure big 4 may centre their marketing on typical places like Nottingham, lse but that doesn't mean they have a higher chance of getting places.
Original post by Chapeau Rouge
Do whatever degree you want, if anything a different degree background helps you stand out from a sea of accounting and finance degrees and helps you bring new insights to situations that your colleagues won't have. Big 4 doesn't care what degree you did, they care that you got a 2 1 and to a lesser extent what uni you went to. Target unis doesn't exist as a concept, sure big 4 may centre their marketing on typical places like Nottingham, lse but that doesn't mean they have a higher chance of getting places.

What degree did you do and at what uni? Is an A at GCSE maths sufficient for the numerical test?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Would an AS in maths be suffice for the numerical tests?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd say so, but to do well on psychometric tests it's more about your mental agility and preparation than your knowledge of maths. As long as you're analytical and quick and know what to look out for (which all comes from practice), you should be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What degree did you do and at what uni? Is an A at GCSE maths sufficient for the numerical test?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't like to identify myself so clearly on an anonymous forum but it was a humanities degree from a Russell group, probably just inside top 20? Yes, I got an a* and then didn't do it for a level. You just need to practice them when they come up.
Original post by M1011

What, so a 2:1 from a low ranking uni, say Swandea Metropolitan is no different to a 2:1 from a RG uni?

That's not true.
Reply 16
Original post by Twinpeaks
What, so a 2:1 from a low ranking uni, say Swandea Metropolitan is no different to a 2:1 from a RG uni?

That's not true.

There is no filter for what uni you went to at all. In addition, first interviews are normally carried out over the phone by HR staff so limited room for snobbery there.

By the time you have your partner interview, it's all down to your personality.

Most big 4 do have a UCAS point filter which I guess roughly acts to remove candidates from lower ranked unis, but if you have plenty of UCAS points and choose to go to University of Useless, I don't think there would be many barriers to you.
Original post by alibee
There is no filter for what uni you went to at all. In addition, first interviews are normally carried out over the phone by HR staff so limited room for snobbery there.

By the time you have your partner interview, it's all down to your personality.

Most big 4 do have a UCAS point filter which I guess roughly acts to remove candidates from lower ranked unis, but if you have plenty of UCAS points and choose to go to University of Useless, I don't think there would be many barriers to you.

That's ridiculous though because a 2:1 from a low ranking is easier to achieve.
Reply 18
That's ridiculous though because a 2:1 from a low ranking is easier to achieve.

That may be true, but what people are saying is that there are no filters to filter out people from bad universities or good universities. The only filters are that you need to have 300 UCAS points (PWC have even removed this) and a 2.1 degree.
Reply 19

That's not true.

I'm sorry, is this based on your extensive knowledge of sod all?

It is true. UCAS tariff generally filters out lower unis. Big 4 conduct their own tests and are far more interested in other aspects of your application outside of your education.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending