The Student Room Group
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University

Aberystwyth

I need some help, so basically long story short I have applied for Aberystwyth University for 2024. I attended an open day a few weeks ago and loved it there. Loved my course, loved the location and loved the sports facilities and clubs available. I am dyslexic and don’t thrive in really academic settings and with the genera teaching style and quality of the lectures I would feel more comfortable in a setting like Aberystwyth. However my parents and pretty much my whole family disapprove Becasue they want me to go to a more academic uni. They want me to go to ARU in Cambridge. I’ve looked at their website and done some research and haven’t heard as great of things about their quality of teaching. I’m in a big hole with my whole family which is just causing constant arguments because I want to go to a uni that would suit me best but none of them understand. What do I do????
Original post by Anonymous #1
I need some help, so basically long story short I have applied for Aberystwyth University for 2024. I attended an open day a few weeks ago and loved it there. Loved my course, loved the location and loved the sports facilities and clubs available. I am dyslexic and don’t thrive in really academic settings and with the genera teaching style and quality of the lectures I would feel more comfortable in a setting like Aberystwyth. However my parents and pretty much my whole family disapprove Becasue they want me to go to a more academic uni. They want me to go to ARU in Cambridge. I’ve looked at their website and done some research and haven’t heard as great of things about their quality of teaching. I’m in a big hole with my whole family which is just causing constant arguments because I want to go to a uni that would suit me best but none of them understand. What do I do????
I don't like using uni rankings as they're completely arbitrary but you could show your parents the uni rankings which show Aberyswyth is much higher ranked than Anglia Ruskin University. Also, explain how the cost of living is much lower in Aberyswyth than in Cambridge and infer that there is a risk you might not be able to afford living in Cambridge if you do go there.

In any case, I'd recommend choosing Aberyswyth, if you go to a uni you don't wanna go to then you're just gonna hate it and end up doing badly there and potentially dropping out.
Students graduating at Aberystwyth University
Aberystwyth University
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello there,

Your concerns are very valid. When I was looking for universities I too considered whether I should be applying for Russel Group Universities or those in the top rankings. However, as you so rightly said one of the most important parts of the university experience is teaching quality, something that Aberystwyth has topped the rankings for when it comes to the National Student Survey for many years. Also like you said, the feeling you get from a university is so important as it is somewhere you will spend the next 3 or 4 years of your life so being happy and comfortable where you choose is so important.

The student support and general community feel here is fantastic and I have felt so settled during my time at Aber. University rankings are not the be all or end all, as at the end of the day a degree is a degree and where you do it is not something you should worry about in terms of finding jobs. Below are some stats about Aber that may help you decision and offer some reassurance for your family.

Welsh University of the Year (Good University Guide 2024, The Times and Sunday Times)

Top in Wales and 2nd in the UK for Student Experience (Good University Guide 2024, The Times and Sunday Times)

Top in Wales and 3rd in the UK for Teaching Quality (Good University Guide 2024, The Times and Sunday Times)

Top in Wales for Student Satisfaction (National Student Survey 2023)

Top 5 in the UK for Academic Support (National Student Survey 2023; Based on the Times University Guide 2023)

Top 10 (6th) in the UK for Student Voice (National Student Survey 2023; Based on the Times University Guide 2023)

Top in Wales and 2nd in the UK for Student Experience (Times University Guide 2023)

Top in Wales and 3rd in the UK for Teaching Quality (Times University Guide 2023).

Best of luck with your decision and let me know if you have any other questions.

Laurie.
Student Ambassador.

Quick Reply

Latest