The Student Room Group

Best university to study media and communications ?

Hi! I've got 4 options for where I want to go (Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield, York St John) but I'm struggling to find a fifth. Does anyone have any recommendations of a good university to study a media degree with a good city similar to these? Don't want to be too bored. Any insights would be appreciated! <3
Reply 1
Undergraduate btw :smile:
I suspect that you haven’t had any responses because the 4 examples you have given aren’t particularly noteworthy for their media/comms courses so it’s difficult to understand what you’re looking for in a course.

What are you hoping to use your degree for?
Reply 3
Cardiff, Southampton, Loughborough, Warwick, Leicester, KCL, Birmingham.

Leicester and Loughborough are big for this subject and Leicester's got more to its city than Loughborough. Great halls of residence at Leicester Oadby Village.
See www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by milseo
Hi! I've got 4 options for where I want to go (Leeds, Newcastle, Sheffield, York St John) but I'm struggling to find a fifth. Does anyone have any recommendations of a good university to study a media degree with a good city similar to these? Don't want to be too bored. Any insights would be appreciated! <3

Hi there,

We are so glad that you are considering to study with us for media and communications!
Although you have probably applied to the Universities you are thing of studying at already, when it comes to making your decision I would recommend looking at the different modules which each university have to offer and which ones interest you the most. As well as attending some of the decision/offer holder days to get a feel for both the university and the city.
I would defiantly say that the universities which you have currently considered you won't be bored in as there will be so much which you can do and they also all have good transport links to other cites as well.

I hope this helps when it comes to making your final decisions 😊
Katie - Student Ambassador
Original post by milseo

Hello!

I’m currently in my second year studying BA Communications: Media Studies and it has been great so far. It is important to know your expectations for the course to select the best fit for your goals. For me, I wanted a degree that would cover all aspects of media studies since I wasn’t really sure what to pursue after graduation. Hence, I ended up picking a university that offered a variety of classes in my degree programme so that I could explore and find what I really like. Another aspect in the decision-making process for me was the location. I wanted to be based in a city that has a booming market for media and communications, which is why I picked a university in London. I would also recommend that you pick a university that offers some practical experience (during term-time or off-term) so that you have some idea of how the industry functions. For example, my university offers a video production class where students get to make video projects for credit. It allows us to have experience with cameras and other related equipment.

Apart from these, I am sure there are many other criteria that are important in the decision-making process, but these are the main ones I had in my mind when I was deciding on which university to go to.

All the very best in your future endeavours! :smile:

Warm Regards,
Upasana Bhatt,
Richmond American University Student Ambassador.
Original post by milseo
Hi,
I studied Journalism for my undergrad at the University of Chester, and I really enjoyed it!
They have these courses (there may be others):
- https://www.chester.ac.uk/study/course-search/journalism-ba-hons-single-honours/
- https://www.chester.ac.uk/study/course-search/media-and-television-production-ba-hons-single-honours/
- https://www.chester.ac.uk/study/course-search/film-and-media-studies-ba-hons/

The University of Chester is within walking distance of the centre of Chester.There are plenty of shops, cafes, restaurants, and pubs/bars, there's a new cinema, bowling alley etc and Cheshire Oaks isn’t too far either. Plus, transport links, so you are close to North Wales and both Manchester and Liverpool if you fancy visiting a bigger city usually takes 1 hour sometimes less.

I’d take a look at the university website to see if there a particular course which is suitable for you.

Best wishes,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
Original post by Chester Student
Hi,
I studied Journalism for my undergrad at the University of Chester, and I really enjoyed it!
They have these courses (there may be others):
- https://www.chester.ac.uk/study/course-search/journalism-ba-hons-single-honours/
- https://www.chester.ac.uk/study/course-search/media-and-television-production-ba-hons-single-honours/
- https://www.chester.ac.uk/study/course-search/film-and-media-studies-ba-hons/

The University of Chester is within walking distance of the centre of Chester.There are plenty of shops, cafes, restaurants, and pubs/bars, there's a new cinema, bowling alley etc and Cheshire Oaks isn’t too far either. Plus, transport links, so you are close to North Wales and both Manchester and Liverpool if you fancy visiting a bigger city usually takes 1 hour sometimes less.

I’d take a look at the university website to see if there a particular course which is suitable for you.

Best wishes,

Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student

I’m not sure replying to someone asking in November about 4 other universities with a sales pitch about chester is particularly helpful to the OP.
Reply 8
Original post by PQ
I’m not sure replying to someone asking in November about 4 other universities with a sales pitch about chester is particularly helpful to the OP.

Look at the OP. They were asking for a 5th university.
(edited 2 days ago)
hey may i ask when you got an offer for leeds for reference? did you apply for media + comms BA?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending