The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 1
Bravo, and a very decent offer much better than my own :smile:

Ill look forward to being college neighbours! The Hill is the way forward (or shoudl that be up?)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Congrats on the offer. however, unfortunately it looks like there will be a bit of a room issue for the first term (2007/08)

However, it will mean lots of new rooms in the following years and i am sure the college will sort out alternative accomodation so there is nothing to worry about

Ian
Reply 3
Yeah, I have an offer from St M.
muddyfox, what do you mean about the rooms?
Reply 4
I know this is quite random but look at what's on the front page of St Mary's JCR site:

"Freshers’ Week"
"See what was on offer for the Freshers of 2004."

Heh heh

EDIT: Just seen this, it's actually the first sentence on the homepage but I missed it: " The only place where you can find out the latest information, news and gossip in college.." followed by "We're currently trying to update the website with all the new exec's contact details as well as information about Freshers' Week 2005."

How this made me titter
Reply 5
There's two buildings in Mary's; Ferguson and Williamson, and they're going to be doing work in Williamson (central heating etc.) so freshers won't be able to live in that building during first term. Not entirely sure where they are going to put some of the freshers, maybe some in Butler if there's space? Anyway it will only be for a term and then Williamson will be all nice for everyone to move into in 2nd term. They'll be new furniture, carpets, decor, curtains and better heated than it is now!
Reply 6
OK cool. Sounds exciting!
Reply 7
They'll be lumping people off to every free bed going I've been told by a tutor. So you'll be living all round the uni. They're also trying to have as few livers in from 2nd, 3rd and 4th year as possible in order to accomodate freshers. I'm not sure if any of this is 100% correct, a college tutor told me, but they may not be 100% reliable.
Reply 8
Who broke Marys?
Reply 9
arkbar
Who broke Marys?

its been broken for sometime, well the williamson has been in a bit of a stae for some time.

mary's aren't turning away 2nd/3rd and 4th years away to live in so i can only assume that they will do their best to accomodate most people.

don't worry about it too much it'll all be sorted as well as a thought out plan before you come. right next door to mary's there is a building called teikyo which will no doubt be used, and no doubt some may be put up in butler, and nearby colleges, as if the intake was anything like this year a lot of colleges had spare rooms.

to be honest it isnt the best time to do this, for freshers, it is one more thing to put people off.

marys is a great college, but there are a few things you have to live with (the small bar being one of them) as for their immensely out of date website, i think its because no one has the will to do it, to continuously update it etc. it is pretty appalling i must admit, for freshers, but to get it sorted is going to take a long long time.

ian

ps. one thing that was brought up with a discussion with my mates was that each college has a similar allowance per student etc, however mary's nearly always runs out of money very quickly in comparison to other colleges, now i dont know what is going on, but for other colleges to always have a bit of money whilst mary's seems not to, something must be happening to the money...
Reply 10
I know where Teikyo is, I'm a 2nd year...
I was just curious as to what had led to a dramatic decrease in number of available rooms for freshlets.
Reply 11
marys is a great college, but there are a few things you have to live with (the small bar being one of them) as for their immensely out of date website, i think its because no one has the will to do it, to continuously update it etc. it is pretty appalling i must admit, for freshers, but to get it sorted is going to take a long long time.

There is currently someone trying to sort out the website, but it's taking a lot of time because it's currently so dated.

Latest