The Student Room Group

Bangor Accommodation

Hey Guys
I really don’t know if I should pick Friff or St Mary’s Village can someone do a pros and cons of both of their accommodations please.
Reply 1
Hi, I live in St Mary's at the moment and was in Ffridd last year, so here's my opinions:

Ffridd pros:
Generally more sociable.
Bar Uno and activities hub on site so close to society stuff.
Cheaper (with the exception of the budget accommodation in St Mary's)
About a 10 minute walk to main arts.

Ffridd cons:
More social also means more noisy, especially if you are in a building right near Bar Uno and it's karaoke night.
Far away from the high street (although far in Bangor means about a 25 min walk)

St Mary's pros:
Quiet for studying.
Accomodation is nicer in my experience (rooms more modern, bigger beds, nicer showers).
Barlow's Cafe on site is really nice to study in, there's also a dedicated computer room and quiet study room upstairs whereas I think the ones in Ffridd are more like common rooms.
Close to high street.
There's some nice walking/running routes over or around Bangor Mountain.

St Mary's cons:
More expensive.
The hill (Cardiac Mountain). Walking up is not fun, especially with shopping. It also makes it feel a bit isolated from everything, but that could be a pro depending on what kind of person you are.
Not as much social stuff going on. Most societies meet in the activities hub in Ffridd which is about a 30 minute walk away.
Also over there, especially in summer, people often just hang out on the picnic benches or on the grass having bbqs/reading/playing frisbee/whatever. I can't really picture that happening at St Mary's.
Further from most uni buildings (about 20 mins from Main Arts).

TL;DR:
Both are actually pretty good as student accomodation goes. St Mary's is nicer but more expensive and further away than Ffridd. Lots of people live in Ffridd first year for the social stuff and then St Mary's second year, so they can buckle down and get some work done. The main complaint people have with St Mary's is the hill, if you drive I guess that won't be an issue.

Also, what course are you studying? If it's in either education or ocean sciences and need to walk to class I really wouldn't stay in St Marys because they are both quite far away.

Hope that helps and lmk if you have any other questions :smile:
Reply 2
I am starting Bangor university in september 2024, i am going to do electrical engineering, what accommodation building is near the engineering department. can you also please tell me how safe is bangor and how safe are these two accommodations. i am thinking to go to braint Ffridd.
Reply 3
Original post by firza
I am starting Bangor university in september 2024, i am going to do electrical engineering, what accommodation building is near the engineering department. can you also please tell me how safe is bangor and how safe are these two accommodations. i am thinking to go to braint Ffridd.
Engineering is based on dean street, which is closer to st Mary's, but it's still only about 20 minutes from Ffridd so both are pretty reasonable I'd say.

Both accomodation sites are really safe, they're well-lit, doors have electronic locks, and security are around 24/7. The security people on both sites are also really helpful and friendly. Bangor itself is also very safe, being a small city. Like any other place, I wouldn't want to walk around alone late at night (although on the times I have done that nothing bad has happened), but generally it feels safe, and I've never actually heard of anyone I know being a victim of crime in Bangor.

Braint is also quite nice, as it's right in the middle of Ffridd so it's close to everything. Plus there's a common room/computer room and shop on the ground floor.
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 4
thank you so much for replying back to me. I have another question, if you don't mind are there a lot of jobs opportunities in bangor a it's a small city, i would presume that there are not much jobs there?
Reply 5
Original post by firza
thank you so much for replying back to me. I have another question, if you don't mind are there a lot of jobs opportunities in bangor a it's a small city, i would presume that there are not much jobs there?
No worries at all! To be honest, I've found it really hard to find a job in the city. Most of the jobs I've seen advertised are bar work/cashier jobs, but generally they have welsh as a requirement. I think there are more opportunities further afield, in more touristy places like Beaumaris/Caernarfon, but it can be a bit difficult to get around if you don't drive. Especially if you are working evenings as the buses don't tend to run very late. So if you drive and speak welsh it shouldn't be too hard, but otherwise it could be a challenge. If you need to be working I would definitely recommend not leaving it too late.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending