The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London

queen mary or st georges

I have an unconditional offer for Queen Mary for neuroscience but I have heard bad things about the uni and the area the pros I can think of is that is Russel group and I like the course.

However I was also thinking to apply to st georges through clearing for biomed.

I don't know what uni is better. I feel really lost and hopeless in life.

King's also have gone into clearing for nutritional sciences and sports and exercise medical sciences.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by jubnatan
I have an unconditional offer for Queen Mary for neuroscience but I have heard bad things about the uni and the area the pros I can think of is that is Russel group and I like the course.

However I was also thinking to apply to st georges through clearing for biomed.

I don't know what uni is better. I feel really lost and hopeless in life.

What "bad things" have you heard about the uni and the area?

Take a look at the statistics available on The Uni Guide (here for Queen Mary and here for St. George's).

Note that although the details at the top of each page are course specific (Neuroscience and Biomedical Science respectively), most of the statistics (from the National Students Survey, the Higher Education Statistics Agency, and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes dataset) apply to "Biomedical Sciences (non-specific)" generally.

Some key difference which stand out for me:
Overall student satisfaction: 73% at Queen Mary, 53% at St. George's (this stat is course-specific).
Median earnings five years after graduating: £48K at Queen Mary, £38K at St. George's.

With those stats, and the fact that "like the course" at Queen Mary, I know what my decision would be if I were you.

Note that you can't apply via Clearing whilst holding an offer. So you'd have to actively decline your Queen Mary place (if you get one) in order to apply to St. George's via Clearing. (Although you can, of course, call St. George's and have an informal conversation without formally applying.)
Students on campus at Queen Mary, University of London
Queen Mary, University Of London
London
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
What "bad things" have you heard about the uni and the area?

Take a look at the statistics available on The Uni Guide (here for Queen Mary and here for St. George's).

Note that although the details at the top of each page are course specific (Neuroscience and Biomedical Science respectively), most of the statistics (from the National Students Survey, the Higher Education Statistics Agency, and the Longitudinal Educational Outcomes dataset) apply to "Biomedical Sciences (non-specific)" generally.

Some key difference which stand out for me:
Overall student satisfaction: 73% at Queen Mary, 53% at St. George's (this stat is course-specific).
Median earnings five years after graduating: £48K at Queen Mary, £38K at St. George's.

With those stats, and the fact that "like the course" at Queen Mary, I know what my decision would be if I were you.

Note that you can't apply via Clearing whilst holding an offer. So you'd have to actively decline your Queen Mary place (if you get one) in order to apply to St. George's via Clearing. (Although you can, of course, call St. George's and have an informal conversation without formally applying.)

people at my work place who go qmary tell me how the area is really dodgy as it is in East London and that overall it just has a bad reputation, before this I didn't think it was a bad uni which is why i applied in the first place.

I just saw that King's also have nutritional sciences and sports and exercise medicine on clearing and I meet the grades for them. I have a conditional offer for Neuroscience at King's but I will have to get 2 As in biology and chemistry and I don't think that is going to happen even though I resat my A-levels. So if I don't get those grades then UCAS will give me my insurance choice which is an unconditional offer for Neuroscience.
However I have also been waitlisted for Medicine at King's and I can only be considered if I get in on results day for a course at their uni as they can't poach me from another institution. So let's say I get an A in bio and a B in chem which would mean i meet the requirments for med as it is a foundation year.
(edited 8 months ago)
people at my work place who go qmary tell me how the area is really dodgy as it is in East London and that it's apparently asian Love Island, overall it just has a bad reputation, before this I didn't think it was a bad uni which is why i applied in the first place.

I just saw that King's also have nutritional sciences and sports and exercise medicine on clearing and I meet the grades for them. I have a conditional offer for Neuroscience at King's but I will have to get 2 As in biology and chemistry and I don't think that is going to happen even though I resat my A-levels. So if I don't get those grades then UCAS will give me my insurance choice which is an unconditional offer for Neuroscience.
However I have also been waitlisted for Medicine at King's and I can only be considered if I get in on results day for a course at their uni as they can't poach me from another institution. So let's say I get an A in bio and a B in chem which would mean i meet the requirments for med as it is a foundation year.

I would hope your asian to make a comment like that, don't say horrible things like that
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I would hope your asian to make a comment like that, don't say horrible things like that

sorry it's not my words it's what other people told me
people at my work place who go qmary tell me how the area is really dodgy as it is in East London and that it's apparently asian Love Island, overall it just has a bad reputation, before this I didn't think it was a bad uni which is why i applied in the first place.

OK, so let's recap:
You currently hold a conditional offer for Neuroscience at King's, which requires AA in Biology and Chemistry (which you don't think you'll get). This is your firm choice.
You also hold an unconditional offer for Neuroscience at Queen Mary. This is your insurance choice, and is unconditional based upon the grades you achieved last year.

You're worried that if you don't meet the conditions for your firm offer (Neuroscience at King's), you'll end-up doing Neuroscience at Queen Mary - a university which you're having second thoughts about.

Courses you might be interested in instead of your insurance choice are:
Nutritional Sciences at King's
Sport & Exercise Medical Sciences at King's
Biomedical Science at St. George's

You're interested in the courses at King's not so much for the courses themselves, but because you've been wait-listed for Medicine there and King's have told you that your only chance at getting off the wait-list and onto Medicine is if you apply for one of the courses they have in Clearing - i.e. one of the courses they've yet to receive enough good-quality applicants for. I find that approach by King's very manipulative, personally, but I'm not aware of any UCAS rules they're breaching by doing so.

Would it be reasonable to say that if you miss your offer grades for Neuroscience at King's (and aren't accepted as a "near miss" candidate), then King's aren't going to offer you a place studying Medicine - even if you secure a place on results day via Clearing for some other course at King's? It just seems unlikely that they'd reject you for Neuroscience but accept you for Medicine. Would you agree? Looking at courses in Clearing at King's as a vehicle to getting onto Medicine just makes little sense.

It might be that on results day you find yourself having been confirmed as studying Neuroscience at Queen Mary. If that happens, and you're sure that you really don't want to go to Queen Mary, you can decline that place (which you can do on results day), drop into Clearing, and try to pick-up an alternative place then. So by all means look around at what those options might be.

My guess, given that your firm and insurance choices are both Neuroscience, is that that's the course you'd rather do. BTW, have you ever actually visited Queen Mary - or are you an international student, making that difficult?
Reply 6
Original post by DataVenia
OK, so let's recap:
You currently hold a conditional offer for Neuroscience at King's, which requires AA in Biology and Chemistry (which you don't think you'll get). This is your firm choice.
You also hold an unconditional offer for Neuroscience at Queen Mary. This is your insurance choice, and is unconditional based upon the grades you achieved last year.

You're worried that if you don't meet the conditions for your firm offer (Neuroscience at King's), you'll end-up doing Neuroscience at Queen Mary - a university which you're having second thoughts about.

Courses you might be interested in instead of your insurance choice are:
Nutritional Sciences at King's
Sport & Exercise Medical Sciences at King's
Biomedical Science at St. George's

You're interested in the courses at King's not so much for the courses themselves, but because you've been wait-listed for Medicine there and King's have told you that your only chance at getting off the wait-list and onto Medicine is if you apply for one of the courses they have in Clearing - i.e. one of the courses they've yet to receive enough good-quality applicants for. I find that approach by King's very manipulative, personally, but I'm not aware of any UCAS rules they're breaching by doing so.

Would it be reasonable to say that if you miss your offer grades for Neuroscience at King's (and aren't accepted as a "near miss" candidate), then King's aren't going to offer you a place studying Medicine - even if you secure a place on results day via Clearing for some other course at King's? It just seems unlikely that they'd reject you for Neuroscience but accept you for Medicine. Would you agree? Looking at courses in Clearing at King's as a vehicle to getting onto Medicine just makes little sense.

It might be that on results day you find yourself having been confirmed as studying Neuroscience at Queen Mary. If that happens, and you're sure that you really don't want to go to Queen Mary, you can decline that place (which you can do on results day), drop into Clearing, and try to pick-up an alternative place then. So by all means look around at what those options might be.

My guess, given that your firm and insurance choices are both Neuroscience, is that that's the course you'd rather do. BTW, have you ever actually visited Queen Mary - or are you an international student, making that difficult?

Yes you have recapped it correctly. Thank you for taking the time to do so. I am going to visit Qmary with a friend this week.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending