The Student Room Group

Would a 20% tax put you off buying sugary drinks?

Scroll to see replies

I think a better alternative is to make the drinks themselves healthier, rather than keeping horrid stuff on the shelves, and it wouldn't put off people who have plenty of money
Reply 61
I had a thought a few days ago, that this will encourge more people to drink alcohol I mean seriously even as it is its often cheaper to buy a pint of lager than a pint of soft drink at many bars so people will just opt for the alcohol.
Original post by Studentus-anonymous
Those doctors can **** off in a time machine back to Germany 1930 ~ 1945 and live in the sort of paradise they envision for themselves.

Doctors have no business discussing taxes anyway. They're doctors, stick to doctoring. And yes, that means fixing my ass regardless of my lifestyle.

****ing hate this fad of calling for taxes and bans and all this **** just because some people can't ****ing control themselves.

You do know that Public Health is a medical specialty - right?
I wholeheartedly support any tax on cigarettes, alcohol, or in this case, fizzy drinks. People who drink alot of fizzy drinks know the risk, but do it anyway. The only way to limit it is by making these drinks healthier and increasing the cost.
Reply 64
Original post by That Bearded Man
I wholeheartedly support any tax on cigarettes, alcohol, or in this case, fizzy drinks. People who drink alot of fizzy drinks know the risk, but do it anyway. The only way to limit it is by making these drinks healthier and increasing the cost.

I do not smoke tobacco, I drink alcohol about once a year my one major vice is soft drinks(though changing to sugar free ones a lot recent months)

I am overweight but in excellent health, I walk a lot, low cholesterol, normal blood sugar, liver function great, iron levels fine etc.

So I have a lot but am still healthy, why should I be punished when I dont put any pressure on the NHS? In fact I put less on than if I drank or smoked.
Original post by Ryouga
I do not smoke tobacco, I drink alcohol about once a year my one major vice is soft drinks(though changing to sugar free ones a lot recent months)

I am overweight but in excellent health, I walk a lot, low cholesterol, normal blood sugar, liver function great, iron levels fine etc.

So I have a lot but am still healthy, why should I be punished when I dont put any pressure on the NHS? In fact I put less on than if I drank or smoked.

Well yes, you would be the "victim" in this case, a casual drinker, healthy, would suffer because of it. I would first of all say that as a casual drinker, you won't be that severely affected. Say one bottle a week, 20p extra, you spend £10 extra a year more. Realistically that wouldn't affect how much you drink. Also, if we have unaffected drinks side by side with affected ones (coke beside diet coke, untaxed) then it will encourage them to pick the healthy option. You did it for personal gain, but not everyone would be able to.

This will force heavy drinkers to reduce their consumption, which to me is the ultimate goal of health care, prevent. By targetting the population, you have a far more cost-effective and successful way to reduce diabetes, alcoholism, lung cancer etc.

So yes, in your case you would marginally lose out, but on a population level (and eventually, as healthcare costs go down) we benefit.
So consider that a 2l bottle of Pepsi is a quid on sale at Tesco, the tax would mean I'd have to pay £1.20 instead. Aye, bud. I'd tap that.

And people who eat red meat know that it risks them getting colon cancer.
Original post by callum_law
So consider that a 2l bottle of Pepsi is a quid on sale at Tesco, the tax would mean I'd have to pay £1.20 instead. Aye, bud. I'd tap that.

They'd sell a significant amount less at £1.20 to be fair.
I don't drink sugary drinks so it wouldn't make a difference. I support the tax though.
Just more illiberal bull**** from Cameron. Is this tax just on sugary drinks?
Original post by scriggy
They'd sell a significant amount less at £1.20 to be fair.

I'd be buying it. I'd go up to £1.50 and then they're taking the piss.
Reply 72
Well yes, you would be the "victim" in this case, a casual drinker, healthy, would suffer because of it. I would first of all say that as a casual drinker, you won't be that severely affected. Say one bottle a week, 20p extra, you spend £10 extra a year more. Realistically that wouldn't affect how much you drink. Also, if we have unaffected drinks side by side with affected ones (coke beside diet coke, untaxed) then it will encourage them to pick the healthy option. You did it for personal gain, but not everyone would be able to.

This will force heavy drinkers to reduce their consumption, which to me is the ultimate goal of health care, prevent. By targetting the population, you have a far more cost-effective and successful way to reduce diabetes, alcoholism, lung cancer etc.

So yes, in your case you would marginally lose out, but on a population level (and eventually, as healthcare costs go down) we benefit.

I should point out I drink about a litre a day, sometimes more if I have had active day at work because I cant handle coffee as it makes my heart beat fast and goes right through me and water just makes me run to toilet every time I drink it.

I do replace it sometimes with milk so I can drink a 2 litre milk in one day lol, I just get thirsty a lot though I think most of its boredom.
Original post by A level sufferer
We supposedly live in a free society where individuals make their own choices yet we are subject to taxes on cigarettes (non smoker) and soon anyway sugar. People should be allowed to muck their lungs up if they so chose to or get diabetes if they want without being dis incentivised by the Government

I'm all for people being allowed to muck their lungs up and eat their own weight in junk food. However, we have a single-payer healthcare system; when you decide to vote for a party that will dismantle the health service, then you can complain about people being taxed on the consumption of things that are fomenting a health crisis in this country.

Besides, I don't see why people view this as the government trying to prevent people from consuming certain things. The way I see it, lung cancer and obesity are a big enough problem that their consumption mandates a separate tax in addition to those already paid. It's actually a fairer way of doing it - the biggest consumers of tobacco or sugar are also more likely than those of us who choose to live healthier lives to require treatment for these illnesses on the NHS. Therefore it's only fair that these people pay more for this treatment than a blanket income tax increase for everyone to continue funding their NHS treatment.

It's high time people took responsibility for their own actions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 74
I don't drink them so it doesn't make a difference to me. I'm disappointed by the amount of irresponsible parents bringing up children brought up on it so I think it can only be a good thing to increase the tax on it. It's a start but I think somehow I think the problem is much bigger than fizzy drinks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending