The Student Room Group

How to lose weight?

Hi, I have pcos and need tips on losing weight
I have sugar cravings and don't know how to control them
I'm thinking of going to a gym, but will it help?
It's so hard to lose weight
Reply 1
After the covid pandemic, everything went downhill and I couldn't play sports anymore. I'm developing a double chin, which is concerning to me and no, I don't believe in giving up and getting any fatter
Reply 2
Exercise is good but it won't work by itself.

If you walk 20,000 steps in one day (about eight miles, or 2 to 3 hours), you'll burn off about 1000 calories. You can easily put that 1000 calories back on just by eating eight two-finger KitKats, or four sandwiches, or two or three muffins.

Losing a pound of weight is about 35 miles of walking (70,000 steps).

You can put on weight through eating far far faster than you can burn it off.

So although exercise helps, it's nowhere near as effective as controlling what you eat.

Your body burns 1,300 to 2000 calories a day just to stay warm and alive, before any exercise. The problem with dieting is that your body catches onto this and reduces this daily burn rate. So dieting soon becomes less productive.

Look into fasting (but talk to your doctor first if you have any medical issues that might make it unsafe for you). Fast from midday one day to morning the next (so no eating after midday), or alternate-day fasting, or even go on a fast for several days. (The longest fast was a Scotsman who fasted for over a year: look it up.)

I once fasted for six days: the first two days are awful, but if you can get past the hunger pangs of those two days by staying active and busy, the third day you stop feeling hungry altogether and actually feel slightly euphoric. And by then your body will have burnt off two days worth of calories in keeping itself warm and alive. And there are other proven benefits of fasting.

Look into fasting (there are loads of YouTube videos, and books) if you cannot stop yourself having sugar and treats, but as I said, consult a doctor if you're not in good health.
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by CapIsland

If you walk 20,000 steps in one day (about eight miles, or 2 to 3 hours), you'll burn off about 1000 calories. You can easily put that 1000 calories back on just by eating eight two-finger KitKats, or four sandwiches, or two or three muffins.

So although exercise helps, it's nowhere near as effective as controlling what you eat.

Your body burns 1,300 to 2000 calories a day just to stay warm and alive, before any exercise. The problem with dieting is that your body catches onto this and reduces this daily burn rate. So dieting soon becomes less productive.

Look into fasting (but talk to your doctor first if you have any medical issues that might make it unsafe for you). Fast from midday one day to morning the next (so no eating after midday), or alternate-day fasting, or even go on a fast for several days. (The longest fast was a Scotsman who fasted for over a year: look it up.)

I once fasted for six days: the first two days are awful, but if you can get past the hunger pangs of those two days by staying active and busy, the third day you stop feeling hungry altogether and actually feel slightly euphoric. And by then your body will have burnt off two days worth of calories in keeping itself warm and alive. And there are other proven benefits of fasting.

Look into fasting (there are loads of YouTube videos, and books) if you cannot stop yourself having sugar and treats, but as I said, consult a doctor if you're not in good health.

Thank you so much! I will look into it 🙂
Reply 4

The only problem is, when I fast I get migraines. Is there any way to stop them? Would the painkillers (aspirin) cause weight gain?
Reply 5
Original post by Trypophobia
The only problem is, when I fast I get migraines. Is there any way to stop them? Would the painkillers (aspirin) cause weight gain?

That might be dehydration. You must make sure you drink more than you usually do and more regularly. Make sure you have loads of water and keep up your electrolytes. Beyond that, fasting is fasting. It's difficult to get going, but once you make the decision to plough through the first two days, it's easy from then on.

I have never taken pain killers while fasting and am not a doctor, so I cannot offer advice on whether it would work or whether it would be safe.
Reply 6
That might be dehydration. You must make sure you drink more than you usually do and more regularly. Make sure you have loads of water and keep up your electrolytes. Beyond that, fasting is fasting. It's difficult to get going, but once you make the decision to plough through the first two days, it's easy from then on.

I have never taken pain killers while fasting and am not a doctor, so I cannot offer advice on whether it would work or whether it would be safe.

That's alright, I'll make sure to drink enough water
Reply 7
Original post by Trypophobia
Hi, I have pcos and need tips on losing weight
I have sugar cravings and don't know how to control them
I'm thinking of going to a gym, but will it help?
It's so hard to lose weight

stay hunger~~~~~~~
Reply 8
Walk for 20 minutes a day. Don't buy from random takeaway shops as they tend to more calorific than well known ones. If you eat fried fish, don't buy chips with it.
Cut down on cakes or cut them out, particularly doughy ones like doughnuts. Cut down on biscuits or cut them -don't eat more than 2 a day if you must. Avoid chocolate bars that have fillings. If you must have chocolate, have a little and ideally dark chocolate. Eat natural, unsweetened, yogurt. Eat 5 pieces of fruit or vegetables a day. Don't count potato as your vegetable. Have a meal that contains carrots, broccolli, garden peas or cauliflower at least once a week. Avoid thick sauces. Don't drink energy drinks or 'diet' drinks. If you want a fizzy, sugared, drink, have one but not more than about two or three times a week. Have tea or a small milk instead ideally.
And remember - walk for 20 minutes a day.
It can be boring but it's not boring when you start to feel better.
(edited 5 months ago)
I hate fasting. It's too painful.

Read How Not to Diet and How Not To Die by Dr Greger for a good introduction to nutrition.
And then go ahead and start swapping junk and semi junk food and drink for better, more healthy food and drink.
EG less beer, wine, cola, more water. Less burgers, more aubergines. Fewer chips, more beans (not the Heinz type. Proper home cooked beans). No added salt, more added herbs and spices. Fewer biscuits, more fresh fruit.

Interesting PCOS videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcT4K5KkTDE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MuU49TW7ufI

Quick Reply

Latest