The Student Room Group

Tips for being healthier

It’s my new years resolution to be healthier and wondering if anyone has any tips. :smile:

I’m not overweight so I’m not focusing on weight loss, I’m 20f, 5’0 and about 95lbs/6 stone 11 so I’m a healthy weight but I don’t really eat healthily.

My general diet is a meal replacement shake for breakfast (200 calories), an energy drink for lunch (0 calories because I get the diet ones), and then something like a gregg’s steak bake for dinner (400 calories). Then I have probably about 4 or 5 alcoholic drinks in the evenings (approx 400-500 calories).

My exercise regime isn’t as terrible as my diet lol, I don’t do any intensive training but I walk a few miles a day. I don’t really have the time for the gym or anything though because when I’m at uni I study 10 hours a day and after that I’m tired.

Advice? (Once again because people never read posts the full way through here, I’m not asking for weight loss tips, I’m a healthy weight, I’m just trying to generally have a healthier lifestyle).

Also I don’t have time for elaborate meal prep or long workouts so I’m looking for realistic tips that I could fit in alongside studying 10 hours a day

Scroll to see replies

Diet definitely seems to be the main thing to focus on. Like getting balanced food groups in (fruit, veg, protein, carbs etc.). You are unlikely to be having enough calories from food based on what you said you eat. Have you had a blood test recently, just wondering about things like your iron and vitamin D levels etc.? Do you find you are often tired?

I'd start with some simple meal prep. So plan out some proper meals for each day it could even be one or two meals to start with. You could batch cook e.g on a Sunday (or whenever) and but them in the fridge or freeze them so that you can just microwave them to heat up. Get a good balance of protein, carbs, fat and veg in.

Also 4-5 alcoholic drinks per evening is a lot so try to cut that down. There is info on drinkaware: https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/ and Dry January is coming up which could help too.

Do you have friends and family who can support with improving your diet etc.?

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Diet definitely seems to be the main thing to focus on. Like getting balanced food groups in (fruit, veg, protein, carbs etc.). You are unlikely to be having enough calories from food based on what you said you eat. Have you had a blood test recently, just wondering about things like your iron and vitamin D levels etc.? Do you find you are often tired?

I'd start with some simple meal prep. So plan out some proper meals for each day it could even be one or two meals to start with. You could batch cook e.g on a Sunday (or whenever) and but them in the fridge or freeze them so that you can just microwave them to heat up. Get a good balance of protein, carbs, fat and veg in.

Also 4-5 alcoholic drinks per evening is a lot so try to cut that down. There is info on drinkaware: https://www.drinkaware.co.uk/ and Dry January is coming up which could help too.

Do you have friends and family who can support with improving your diet etc.?

Good luck!

I’m not very good at cooking lol and I don’t have a lot of freezer space (shared housing), I’m planning to start making salads and stuff for dinner though instead of the greggs and I might start meal prepping sometimes as well.

I’m gonna try dry January when I go back to uni so I’ll start on the 7tn but when I dry to stop drinking I usually just get bored and give up after like 3 days 😭
Reply 3
Reduce the alcohol and eat some actual food?
Reply 4
Original post by black tea
Reduce the alcohol and eat some actual food?

I’m bad at cooking and don’t have a lot of time though unfortunately. And when I try to drink less I usually end up giving up after a few days
Reply 5
Excuses

How is it excuses when I’m literally trying to be healthier lol? I’m gonna start dry January when I go back to uni on the 7th and replace the greggs with a salad for dinner
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #1
How is it excuses when I’m literally trying to be healthier lol? I’m gonna start dry January when I go back to uni on the 7th and replace the greggs with a salad for dinner

Because it sounds like you are not willing to make an effort. Cooking porridge or boiling some eggs instead of having an ultra-processed meal replacement shake takes minutes. Heating up some soup for lunch again, take minutes (you don't even have to cook - plenty of cheap soups with decent ingredients that you can buy). Simple, nutritious meals that don't require much effort or skill again, take relatively little time. Failing that, again, some brands do reasonably healthy ready meals. Eating some fruit and veg requires zero effort or cooking skills. So yeah, "bad at cooking" and "don’t have a lot of time" sound like excuses to me.

Good luck with dry January.
Reply 7
Because it sounds like you are not willing to make an effort. Cooking porridge or boiling some eggs instead of having an ultra-processed meal replacement shake takes minutes. Heating up some soup for lunch again, take minutes (you don't even have to cook - plenty of cheap soups with decent ingredients that you can buy). Simple, nutritious meals that don't require much effort or skill again, take relatively little time. Failing that, again, some brands do reasonably healthy ready meals. Eating some fruit and veg requires zero effort or cooking skills. So yeah, "bad at cooking" and "don’t have a lot of time" sound like excuses to me.

Good luck with dry January.

The library is a mile and a half from my house so it’s not really practical to walk back home for lunch and yeah I don’t cook in the mornings because I’m lazy and tired lol. I don’t sleep well so I usually sleep until the last possible minute then just get up/get ready and go to the library and drink my shake on the way.

And the evenings are my time to relax so usually too tired to cook and drinking helps me relax/makes me feel calmer. But yeah obviously trying to reduce that
Reply 8
you are doing very well ! cut out the alcohol. replace it with delicious water.
Reply 9
The library is a mile and a half from my house so it’s not really practical to walk back home for lunch and yeah I don’t cook in the mornings because I’m lazy and tired lol. I don’t sleep well so I usually sleep until the last possible minute then just get up/get ready and go to the library and drink my shake on the way.

And the evenings are my time to relax so usually too tired to cook and drinking helps me relax/makes me feel calmer. But yeah obviously trying to reduce that

And you have illustrated my point nicely... But I wish you luck and hope you do manage to make some positive changes.
Reply 10
And you have illustrated my point nicely... But I wish you luck and hope you do manage to make some positive changes.

Don’t see how it’s an excuse to not want to further reduce the 4 hours of sleep I’m getting to cook things in the morning or want to take an hour out of studying to walk back and to from home to cook something for lunch lol. And tbf I’m a healthy weight so my diet can’t be that bad and isn’t really worth messing up my studies/dropping my grades to fix 🤷🏻*♀️
Don’t see how it’s an excuse to not want to further reduce the 4 hours of sleep I’m getting to cook things in the morning or want to take an hour out of studying to walk back and to from home to cook something for lunch lol. And tbf I’m a healthy weight so my diet can’t be that bad and isn’t really worth messing up my studies/dropping my grades to fix 🤷🏻*♀️

See, you are clearly not prepared to change anything. You do you though. Your life.
Reply 12
See, you are clearly not prepared to change anything. You do you though. Your life.

Not willing to change things in a way that will make my life worse overall (such as studying or sleeping less) is all lol
What degree are you studying that you think it's worth being an alcoholic for?
Tbh this thread sound a tad ridiculous. All the answers are too obvious, that you yourself ought to be able to figure this out yourself... thus I'm unsure of what you're really looking for on here.
Reply 15
Original post by NonIndigenous
Tbh this thread sound a tad ridiculous. All the answers are too obvious, that you yourself ought to be able to figure this out yourself... thus I'm unsure of what you're really looking for on here.

True, consider it metaphorically deleted (as in no longer looking for replies) because it won’t let me delete/edit the thread due to it being anonymous
Reply 16
Original post by girl_in_black
What degree are you studying that you think it's worth being an alcoholic for?

Studying and being an alcoholic are two unrelated matters lol. I don’t have time for meal prep around studying though so consider the thread closed/no longer looking replies
Studying and being an alcoholic are two unrelated matters lol. I don’t have time for meal prep around studying though so consider the thread closed/no longer looking replies

Fine, what degree is worth you being extremely malnourished for?
Reply 18
5 bevvies a day and Greggs steak bakes for dinner and *****y meal replacement things? Wow. You need to eat more actual food and drink less. Uni accom provides kitchens for a reason.
Reply 19
Original post by girl_in_black
Fine, what degree is worth you being extremely malnourished for?

Law 🥲

Quick Reply

Latest