The Student Room Group

Eating with braces/ flossing

So I've had braces for about a week now and it's been ok. I've been more or less brushing three times a day as advised and even bought more disclosing tablets to avoid plaque buildup. My front teeth are still tender and sore but there's no pain at the back and mid level teeth.

Now for the question- what can I eat with braces?

It's only been a week but I do really miss cake and chocolate.
I slightly overindulged the day before I got them (slice of cake, chocolate bar, hot chocolate (that's not even too much normally but I had greatly reduced sugar intake when I had dividers put in)) and I know I don't really need sugar right now but it would bring great peace of mind to know if i could eat cake and jam or like plain sugar without feeling too guilty.
The only sugary things Ive been eating since the fitting are lychee puddings (twice) a really watered down nesquik and a little bit of Nutella.

Also something I find difficult is flossing everyday since it takes near forever to loop it and I've only managed to get my back teeth flossed twice and only my bottom set. If there's any good solutions I'm all ears.

Thank you in advance!
You can eat/drink anything apart from fizzy drinks (but honestly they’re fine too as long as it’s not like every day) and really hard/chewy sweets (like that awful toffee that gets stuck in your teeth). I had braces on for 5 years lol (thanks covid 🙄) and just ate and drank normally and my teeth are fine since getting them taken off
Original post by Username123ab
You can eat/drink anything apart from fizzy drinks (but honestly they’re fine too as long as it’s not like every day) and really hard/chewy sweets (like that awful toffee that gets stuck in your teeth). I had braces on for 5 years lol (thanks covid 🙄) and just ate and drank normally and my teeth are fine since getting them taken off

If I can ask, when did you brush your teeth after eating? Did you brush three times the whole way through?
Original post by ghjkftteeeeeeee
If I can ask, when did you brush your teeth after eating? Did you brush three times the whole way through?

Ehm I currently have braces and eat whatever I like (apart from chewy, tough, sticky or hard stuff) and I don't floss and only brush my teeth... Once a day. Ehm im probably screwed right.

Twice a day, morning and night like normal, I didn’t brush every time I ate or 3 times a day.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Ehm I currently have braces and eat whatever I like (apart from chewy, tough, sticky or hard stuff) and I don't floss and only brush my teeth... Once a day. Ehm im probably screwed right.

Try disclosing tablets!!! They're very convenient on telling you if your hygiene is screwed.
Original post by Username123ab
Twice a day, morning and night like normal, I didn’t brush every time I ate or 3 times a day.

Huh! Thank you for answering! That's a relief honestly
Try disclosing tablets!!! They're very convenient on telling you if your hygiene is screwed.

What are those? 😮 I've never heard of them in my life woahh. Are they a form of medication?
So I've had braces for about a week now and it's been ok. I've been more or less brushing three times a day as advised and even bought more disclosing tablets to avoid plaque buildup. My front teeth are still tender and sore but there's no pain at the back and mid level teeth.
I slightly overindulged the day before I got them (slice of cake, chocolate bar, hot chocolate (that's not even too much normally but I had greatly reduced sugar intake when I had dividers put in)) and I know I don't really need sugar right now but it would bring great peace of mind to know if i could eat cake and jam or like plain sugar without feeling too guilty.
The only sugary things Ive been eating since the fitting are lychee puddings (twice) a really watered down nesquik and a little bit of Nutella.
Also something I find difficult is flossing everyday since it takes near forever to loop it and I've only managed to get my back teeth flossed twice and only my bottom set. If there's any good solutions I'm all ears.
Thank you in advance!

Try Oral-B Superfloss or a water flosser - they really helped me when I had braces! :smile:
Reply 9
What are those? 😮 I've never heard of them in my life woahh. Are they a form of medication?

they're just a pigment tablet that u chew and it shows u where u need to pay more attention to when u are brushing!! it isn't medication or anything it's just colouring
Original post by 97059646
they're just a pigment tablet that u chew and it shows u where u need to pay more attention to when u are brushing!! it isn't medication or anything it's just colouring

Oh wow! That's so cool 😱 uhmm are they sold at normal grocery stores? I swear I've never come across them in my life 😭
Oh wow! That's so cool 😱 uhmm are they sold at normal grocery stores? I swear I've never come across them in my life 😭

i got mine at my orthodontists but i've seen them in boots too!!
Original post by 97059646
i got mine at my orthodontists but i've seen them in boots too!!

Ooh 😭 why doesn't my orthodontist have anythinggg
Ok thank you! I'll check out boots next time I pop out to the city!
Thank you in advance!
I ate practically everything when i had braces. The only things i avoided was gum, chewing sweets like toffee and biting into apples(i cut them up and then ate it). I had my braces a year ago and my teeth are pretty much perfect even though i ate loads of sugar during my braces. I think as long as you take care of your teeth, you can eat nearly everything, just be smart about it
Original post by cherrycosmos
I ate practically everything when i had braces. The only things i avoided was gum, chewing sweets like toffee and biting into apples(i cut them up and then ate it). I had my braces a year ago and my teeth are pretty much perfect even though i ate loads of sugar during my braces. I think as long as you take care of your teeth, you can eat nearly everything, just be smart about it

yeah me too , i literally chewed gum with mine so much and i never had any issues getting it out
Original post by Amanda101
Try Oral-B Superfloss or a water flosser - they really helped me when I had braces! :smile:

Oo! I'll check them out thank you!!
Thank you in advance!

I eat pretty much everything to be honest which is probably bad because i struggle with flossing too. sometimes you just have to dedicate the time to flossing - perhaps every other day.

eat whatever you want but just brush your teeth. i don't brush my teeth after each meal. i also chew gum which is apparently a big no no but i feel like it helps me clear up my mouth and those little bits of food that get stuck. you just have to make sure the gum doesnt stay on the actual brace itself for too long otherwise it does get a bit tricky.

but yeah i'd say eat what you physically can but avoid really sugary stuff all the time and when you do, after about half an hour after eating the sugary stuff, give your teeth a quick brush or swirl with mouthwash.

Quick Reply

Latest