The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

ryan342
There was an inital information meeting at the beginning of may in which they talked about the various places and why they think having a year out is so fantastic. They highlight why you should do it and what benefits there will be. You also get a little info booklet with all this stuff in. So basically learn that stuff for your interview. It's just things like 'the opportunity to learn the law in a different jurisdiction exposes you to different jurisprudential reasoning and offers comparative awareness'. I think they encourage you to do a dissertation in your 4th year (dissertations aren't compulsory in law by the way) with a comparative flavour.

Absolutely no idea how many people apply for the scheme and to each uni. Advice for the interview: just show you have a personality, smile, and if you really have your heart set on a place stress why you want to go there (live and work in a different culture, learn the language and all that). You could also maybe mention you really want to add an international aspect to your future career; after all the aim of the SOCRATES programme is to help improve the quality and relevance of education by enhancing European Integration. They want you to come out of it pro-Europe and pro-EC I think. Note: if you get an offer it will also be conditional upon you choosing and passing the second year module EC1: Law of the Single European Market, in which I have a tutorial this afternoon so shoud probably get off here and do some work.

I'm at Van Mildert.

Thanks mate. Sounds fantastic!

Nice college there too :wink:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
And the grant is far lower than £4000, I just found out.

Good skills on the college.
Reply 22
Has anyone recieved an offer yet?!

i have all my other offers, just waiting on Durham!

Heard its really hard to get in, does anyone know how many applicants there are to a place?

Thanks
Stacey
Reply 23
hey! i got rejected from durham in january! i got my other 5 offers though (bris/cambridge/manch/warwick/leeds) so happy! :-) Good Luck with Durham!
Reply 24
*baby*
hey! i got rejected from durham in january! i got my other 5 offers though (bris/cambridge/manch/warwick/leeds) so happy! :-) Good Luck with Durham!

Yes, received it in mid-December or something ridiculously early (was pleasantly surprised).
Reply 25
AdamTJ
Yes, received it in mid-December or something ridiculously early (was pleasantly surprised).

Wow! So is Durham your top choice? which college have you applied to?

if i get an offer (dont think i will but i hope i will) it will be my top choice!
Reply 26
Pickles88
Wow! So is Durham your top choice? which college have you applied to?

if i get an offer (dont think i will but i hope i will) it will be my top choice!

I'll be going to Collingwood next year if I decide to go.

Right now it's between UCL and Durham but it's about 80/20 in favour of Durham for a lot of reasons.

Still UCL cannot be turned down lightly (unless you are going to Oxbridge).
Pickles88
Has anyone recieved an offer yet?!

i have all my other offers, just waiting on Durham!

Heard its really hard to get in, does anyone know how many applicants there are to a place?

Thanks
Stacey

About 2100 applicants for about 125 places, with 1400 applicants last year having at least AAA :s-smilie: .
AdamTJ

Right now it's between UCL and Durham but it's about 80/20 in favour of Durham for a lot of reasons.

Still UCL cannot be turned down lightly (unless you are going to Oxbridge).

Very much ditto with UCL.

I also recieved my offer nice and early; early December.
Reply 30
geeeees! I only handed my application to ucas in December and sat my LnAT Dec 23rd! They prob just havent had time to look at the application yet!
Reply 31
Why was this thread merged?

The two issues are completely separate...
Reply 32
Because if there was thread about EVERY subject and subsequent threads asking about offers for that subject it would just get silly.

Latest