The Student Room Group

To intercalate or go straight into final year - need to decide soon

Hi guys,

I applied to do an intercalated Bsc earlier this year. At the time I was interested in taking a year out to do some research and thought it was the right decision.
Unfortunately it was also exam season and I did not apply to the right projects and also made the mistake in doing it internally at a university that offers very sciency modules.

I am now in the position were I regret not doing a bsc externally and don't feel its worth my time pursuing subjects which are very preclinical ( immunity and reproduction).
However my university have so far giving me the option of taking a year out as it will be difficult to enter final year as I am currently down as doing a Bsc.

How important is having a Bsc in todays medical word, I really regret not doing one earlier and should have gone to imperial or Kings were I could have done projects I would enjoy !
Original post by cfc18
Hi guys,

I applied to do an intercalated Bsc earlier this year. At the time I was interested in taking a year out to do some research and thought it was the right decision.
Unfortunately it was also exam season and I did not apply to the right projects and also made the mistake in doing it internally at a university that offers very sciency modules.

I am now in the position were I regret not doing a bsc externally and don't feel its worth my time pursuing subjects which are very preclinical ( immunity and reproduction).
However my university have so far giving me the option of taking a year out as it will be difficult to enter final year as I am currently down as doing a Bsc.

How important is having a Bsc in todays medical word, I really regret not doing one earlier and should have gone to imperial or Kings were I could have done projects I would enjoy !

I know the grass if often always greener, but why do you think you would've gotten a project you enjoy at an external institution? Imperial seems very science-y at least - although I know King's has non-medicine subjects on offer. Also, nearing the end of medical school, I've come to realise that certain pre-clinical topics are actually quite beneficial at understanding the clinical stuff - especially when you looking at specialities.

BScs give you extra points in FPAS/CT/ST applications, but it's not doom and gloom if you don't have one! I'd say do it if you think you'd enjoy it(/perhaps if you want to do a really competitive speciality). If not, it seems like you'll be more content without it!
Is there a way you can switch your Bsc subject? Try talking to your medical school about the option of maybe changing the Bsc you're doing. Otherwise just do your best to push into getting back into final year. they havent said its impossible just that it might be tricky, i think if you really push and say you've changed your mind theres no reason they'll deny you
Unless you apply to specific BScs which are quite clinical (like BSc Emergency Care), most are "sciency". Imperial was VERY science-heavy. Got the same impression about Kings. They may be BScs for medical students but don't be fooled, they are called BScs for a reason! And there is no guarantee you would get a clinical project.

I personally think doing a BSc with sciency modules is a good thing. They are challenging, but teach you useful skills. You seemed keen on doing research before finals. Is there anything in particular that made you change your mind?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending