The Student Room Group

University

I am waiting for my year 12 end-of-year results. Can someone please let me know when do I need to apply to universities? If I don't get the expected grades, What happens?
Reply 1
It depends, if you are applying for Oxbridge unis, you must apply by some point in October I believe, may be late September.

Any other unis the deadline is usually December - January, this year it was 25th of January. However, you can always go through clearing at the end of the year, but it will limit the available options.

If you don’t get expected grades, there are several options. One thing is that sometimes unis will offer you a place with slightly lower grades in the same course as you applied. Otherwise, you could go through clearing to apply for places at uni. Apprenticeships are another option, as it’s teaching you as you work, grades won’t necessarily need to be as high as it would for uni. You could see if you could do another year at college to get better grades, and reapply to uni. A final option is to go into work straight away, sometimes you can apply for uni the next year, and they know what grades you already have so may get accepted or just continue with working.

I hope this is helpful :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Echo2707
It depends, if you are applying for Oxbridge unis, you must apply by some point in October I believe, may be late September.

Any other unis the deadline is usually December - January, this year it was 25th of January. However, you can always go through clearing at the end of the year, but it will limit the available options.

If you don’t get expected grades, there are several options. One thing is that sometimes unis will offer you a place with slightly lower grades in the same course as you applied. Otherwise, you could go through clearing to apply for places at uni. Apprenticeships are another option, as it’s teaching you as you work, grades won’t necessarily need to be as high as it would for uni. You could see if you could do another year at college to get better grades, and reapply to uni. A final option is to go into work straight away, sometimes you can apply for uni the next year, and they know what grades you already have so may get accepted or just continue with working.

I hope this is helpful :smile:

Thank you!
Can I apply for more than 5 unis?
To add on to what Echo2707 said, if you don't get the results you want, gap years. Gap years are an amazing thing. No university or other education for an entire school year, plus you get to use your final A-Level results. If you aren't pleased with your Y12 results, take a gap year and apply with your actual results because you'll probably be able to get into more places and you'll probably have a lot more fun than going straight from revision to university life.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 4
Original post by quofrannemmawo
Thank you!
Can I apply for more than 5 unis?

No, but if you decide you’re unsure about the unis you have had offers from, you can go through clearing and look at what’s available from other unis, this is usually in late august.

There is also the opportunity to try to change unis or courses after the start of the year if you decide that that course isn’t for you.

When deciding on a uni though, don’t just base it on the course, look at campus and get a general feel for the uni beforehand. It’s no use going for a great course but hating your environment. Try to find a place with a good balance between the two.

Quick Reply

Latest