The Student Room Group

Why I believe our education system is wrong

I believe our education/uni or apprenticeship system is not fit-for-purpose. Obviously everyone needs to go to school, fair enough but do they think what they are teaching is any good for a 21st century Britain? Of course we must teach about our history and give everyone an experience in all different parts of life. However time your 14/15 surely you have a basic idea if your any good at music, RE or history, I believe education should be more personalised to students. Whats the point of going through Year 8 or Year 9 with a music lesson every week, when you have no interest or skills in the subject?

Then that brings me onto Uni, I mean everyones going? Not saying thats a bad thing but all thats happen know is that you pretty much need a degree to work in McDonalds?! Not everyone can have high-paid jobs, theres only so many. I believe that only students who wish to have jobs like being a doctor or scientist, or a role that fits going to uni. I mean I did terrible at school, I shouldn't really be allowed to go to uni but if I just retook maths got a C maybe, I would probably be let in!

Apprenticeships could be so good, on the job training is perfect with college as you get the best of both worlds. I'm currently doing one at the moment, not going to go on deep about my experience and I understand this does not reflect everyone. But I believe the system is so corrupt, there just using people to do jobs rather than actually training people. Surly going to college at least once a week should be essential, I'm practically doing a job for £2.30 an hour! I hear this story all the time aswell. The government boasts about how many apprentices they have created but wouldn't it be better to put quality over quantity.
I agree on the music thing etc. I found it pointless, same goes for Humanities, Citizenship, P.E - although fun
Original post by bailfire
I agree on the music thing etc. I found it pointless, same goes for Humanities, Citizenship, P.E - although fun
Exactly all that Music, PSHE was pointless. My main point is, I just believe the more people you send to uni, the less important the grades become, then employers will start seeing degrees as GCSE's, then something else will probably come along to proceed unis. Everyone's going to be in education forever the rate its going!
Reply 3
The pe is the reason more children aren't obese.
Original post by JXLS
The pe is the reason more children aren't obese.
I dont think making them waddle about for an hour every week is going to sort out the obese problem. People need to eat healthier, instead of living off McDonald's. People should be responsible time your 13/14 and be active in your own time like swimming, etc..

Most kids get embarrassed/self-concious about PE, I mean when your 16, do you really want to take your clothes off in-front of everyone?!
There is a lot of value in having people on all levels better educated, even if it doesn't seem it now. Once you've had more experience in the world of work you'll discover how invaluable it is to have an intelligent, thoughtful and logical boss - the things higher education amplifies - over a relatively stupid or close-minded one. Which isn't to say university makes people smart or that people who don't go are stupid but, it is to say that the better educated the people you work with are the more you'll find your workplace is efficiently run, innovative and more pleasant to be in.

The apprenticeship scheme does seem to be flawed - but you shouldn't expect too much money if you are receiving training and qualifications without bringing much to the table. It's also sort of standard now to work (or 'train' on the job) for almost nothing for at least a few years in just about any profession.
Original post by TurkeyProphet
There is a lot of value in having people on all levels better educated, even if it doesn't seem it now. Once you've had more experience in the world of work you'll discover how invaluable it is to have an intelligent, thoughtful and logical boss - the things higher education amplifies - over a relatively stupid or close-minded one. Which isn't to say university makes people smart or that people who don't go are stupid but, it is to say that the better educated the people you work with are the more you'll find your workplace is efficiently run, innovative and more pleasant to be in.

The apprenticeship scheme does seem to be flawed - but you shouldn't expect too much money if you are receiving training and qualifications without bringing much to the table. It's also sort of standard now to work (or 'train' on the job) for almost nothing for at least a few years in just about any profession.

I agree with you regarding apprentices. In my opinion if they carry it on like this, they would be better off scraping it. All there doing is delaying the process to a proper wage which doesn't really help anyone expect for the business.

I see your point regarding uni, if more people go and get better educated to a higher level will ultimately perform better. However I believe this is a job for a college, I still believe uni should be for the most brightest students in certain sectors. All we are doing by sending everyone to uni is putting another layer process on top of getting a job, even though the job may not need that style of education.
Reply 7
Original post by ben.anderson
I dont think making them waddle about for an hour every week is going to sort out the obese problem. People need to eat healthier, instead of living off McDonald's. People should be responsible time your 13/14 and be active in your own time like swimming, etc..

Most kids get embarrassed/self-concious about PE, I mean when your 16, do you really want to take your clothes off in-front of everyone?!

Well it won't help them if they don't waddle around at all. Most students do participate in PE, there is just a few that don't feel comfortable. At 16, you're in year 10 or 11 so they would. I am sure you meant at the age of 13/14.
Reply 8

Apprenticeships could be so good, on the job training is perfect with college as you get the best of both worlds.

Agreed. Not to say that they aren't because if I had known more about apprenticeships growing up, I probably wouldn't be studying at uni. I just think the wages are a bit insulting, plus when I was at sixth form, they put a lot of pressure to emphasize how important it was to go to uni, I don't ever recall hearing the word 'apprenticeship' at all. However I do think it's great that you're taught on the job and study at the same time to receive qualifications.

The thing I find quite flawed about our education system is how it doesn't equip us to deal with things in life. I think in secondary school it would be so good to have some sort of subject that focused on things that apply to the real world i.e saving money, how to obtain a mortgage, how to maintain a good credit score, how politics works (in my secondary school, politics was taught from A level onwards which I think is a bit... :colonhash:) and your skills in a working environment 'cus to be quite frank, 2 weeks worth of experience doesn't really do/show much.

At my school (age 7-13) we did an hour of sport 6 days a week. It should be like that at every school although most schools don't do Saturday teaching so it can be reduced to 5 days a week.
I wouldn't employ someone with a uni degree (I run a business). I would rather train somebody the proper way, someone who has good life skills. I find these unis don't give the communication and real life skills. I'm not trying to slag off uni but being honest everyone comes in with there degrees in astrometry or whatever but that means nothing to me.
@ben.anderson but what if that degree had links to your business?
@scrawlx101 If they had good communication & life skills and was passionate about the job and they want to work there way up. I would employ them, however I don't care about looking at everyone's degrees as everyone has one. I just want someone who can do what I want above.
Original post by bailfire

But history has useful transferrable skills.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending