The Student Room Group

A level maths? how do I sort it out in time?

Okay so I REALLY want to get mechanical engineering at the best possible uni i can, I'm retaking English in college ( ill try get a B if not an A but i'm quite far from both) and I heard that and A in A-level maths is crucial, i got a C in maths but E in statistics and i'm just wondering, since i start my first year in college in 3 weeks, what can i do to sort this out? would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help

Many thanks

Sam
Reply 1
Original post by samuel303
Okay so I REALLY want to get mechanical engineering at the best possible uni i can, I'm retaking English in college ( ill try get a B if not an A but i'm quite far from both) and I heard that and A in A-level maths is crucial, i got a C in maths but E in statistics and i'm just wondering, since i start my first year in college in 3 weeks, what can i do to sort this out? would be greatly appreciated if anyone can help

Many thanks

Sam

What are your marks for your c1 and c2?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well I got an E in Maths at AS, turned it to a C at A2 (few marks off a B). Only reason I didn't get it remarked was because I got into Uni and I was so happy so I didn't really care.

Truth is, I did past papers from the first week I got back to college. Don't begin your revision for retakes next summer when you should be focusing on A2's, do them regularly from the moment you get back. I managed to get B for C1, A for C2, A for C3 and C for C4.

Don't be disheartened, just make sure you do past papers. Doing C3 really helped me understand C1 and C2 better (bizarre, I know, but thats the truth). Best of luck btw.
Original post by Optimum_
Well I got an E in Maths at AS, turned it to a C at A2 (few marks off a B). Only reason I didn't get it remarked was because I got into Uni and I was so happy so I didn't really care.

Truth is, I did past papers from the first week I got back to college. Don't begin your revision for retakes next summer when you should be focusing on A2's, do them regularly from the moment you get back. I managed to get B for C1, A for C2, A for C3 and C for C4.

Don't be disheartened, just make sure you do past papers. Doing C3 really helped me understand C1 and C2 better (bizarre, I know, but thats the truth). Best of luck btw.

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 4
Okay so i must of misunderstood it to you all, what i meant to say is, i want to head into A level maths, i go back to college this september, I've only done GCSE Maths and got a C in that, but where do i go from here to a level?
Reply 5
BUMP
Reply 6
Ohh. If you are starting A levels maths this is the advice i will offer:

make sure you stay on top of your work!!
•if you do not understand something, ask the teacher on the day or the next, do not leave it and forget about it. I cannot stress this enough, clearing out small confusions helps so much when you are reviewing everything at the end
•if there's a problem you don't understand before but then manage to solve it, write a little note in your book to the question
•PAST PAPERS- they are SO important. Do as many as you can, during my first year I didn't do as many past papers but when i retook i finished huge packs and that helped me get my B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest