The Student Room Group

A-level maths grades

I'm in yr 12 doing maths, further maths, cs, physics looking to study cs in uni and have just finished my maths a-level (my school does it early). I think I've gotten an A but the imperial and ucl both want A* in maths.

What would happen if I got an A* in further maths, would that sort of cancel out my A in maths?
Hii, so I had a quick read on Imperial and it seems like the A* is a non-negotiable, but you could email or phone them to hear from the admissions team first. Don't cancel yourself out fully though as you have results day to find out the actual grade and then you have loads of time to look around all sorts of universities, if you really need to! I sat the A-Level Maths this year too (Edexcel), but I'm Yr 13. How did you find it ?
Reply 2
Original post by MsBobatea123
Hii, so I had a quick read on Imperial and it seems like the A* is a non-negotiable, but you could email or phone them to hear from the admissions team first. Don't cancel yourself out fully though as you have results day to find out the actual grade and then you have loads of time to look around all sorts of universities, if you really need to! I sat the A-Level Maths this year too (Edexcel), but I'm Yr 13. How did you find it ?

Thank you I'll try that. Today's paper didn't go so great, the last two stats questions really threw me off and I realised I made a lot of silly mistakes in mechanics, but the pure side wasn't too bad. How about you?
Original post by bears15
Thank you I'll try that. Today's paper didn't go so great, the last two stats questions really threw me off and I realised I made a lot of silly mistakes in mechanics, but the pure side wasn't too bad. How about you?

For Me I actually liked Paper 1 and Paper 3, but stats was not it in paper 3. But Paper 2 I found really horrible so I think it balances out. Hopefully we get the grades we need to go to uni xx
Reply 4
Original post by bears15
I'm in yr 12 doing maths, further maths, cs, physics looking to study cs in uni and have just finished my maths a-level (my school does it early). I think I've gotten an A but the imperial and ucl both want A* in maths.

What would happen if I got an A* in further maths, would that sort of cancel out my A in maths?

Heya!

Unfortunately, if they want an A* in maths then it's not negotiable, especially for competitive courses. You could talk to your teacher, explain the situation, and see if you could redo the mock to try to score higher.

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Quick Reply

Latest