The Student Room Group

Computer science - please help!!!😭💀

Hello, I’ve recently had a change of mind regarding my career, and I aim to go into computer science, my grades aren’t the greatest so I’ve decided to do an Access to Science course for the year, however I‘ m quite bad at maths, no it’s been a year since I’ve been in education because I’ took the year out to truly figure out what I want to do, computer science as interest was never something new it was always in the back of my mind just not something I thought of doing as the main direction in my life, I’d like some advice, as to how to go about it.

My main concern is my maths grades- having barely passed a gcse, I was wondering if I should do some sort of math course to prove my capabilities, most uni like that students have done maths or further maths at a-level so I’m wondering if I should go into a-level math, though I know it’s a huge jump, along side with the access to science course, in the second year of a-level maths , should I then start learning coding languages, try and do projects, and gain some experience where I can? Or should I go for a foundation year when I apply, however I feel as though the maths I learn earlier on may make it easy for me to learn an already difficult content at level 4. Some advice please, I really don’t know how to go about it😭
Reply 1
You should do a maths A-level. If you find it too difficult, you will likely have a very hard time making it through a decent compsci course.
Reply 2
Ahh I just seen this but thank youu:smile:
ima be real wid u gang. comp sci at uni is basically just a glorified maths degree. if u dont like maths and arent good at it, u wont like comp sci.
Original post by Anonymous #1
Hello, I’ve recently had a change of mind regarding my career, and I aim to go into computer science, my grades aren’t the greatest so I’ve decided to do an Access to Science course for the year, however I‘ m quite bad at maths, no it’s been a year since I’ve been in education because I’ took the year out to truly figure out what I want to do, computer science as interest was never something new it was always in the back of my mind just not something I thought of doing as the main direction in my life, I’d like some advice, as to how to go about it.
My main concern is my maths grades- having barely passed a gcse, I was wondering if I should do some sort of math course to prove my capabilities, most uni like that students have done maths or further maths at a-level so I’m wondering if I should go into a-level math, though I know it’s a huge jump, along side with the access to science course, in the second year of a-level maths , should I then start learning coding languages, try and do projects, and gain some experience where I can? Or should I go for a foundation year when I apply, however I feel as though the maths I learn earlier on may make it easy for me to learn an already difficult content at level 4. Some advice please, I really don’t know how to go about it😭
Hello 😊

It sounds like you've made great progress by starting an access course! I wanted to reach out and share our computer science study guide as I think that might help you as you consider your next steps - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd. This covers topics like how to prepare for a computer science degree, career prospects, salary expectations and more.

Without knowing your exact situation, it would be difficult to say for sure, but it does sound like you would meet the requirements to apply for our BSc Computer Science course once you have completed your access course. If this is something you would like to learn more about, you can explore our entry requirements here - https://bit.ly/49W9pA7

I hope that this helps and good luck with your journey into computer science!

Thanks,

Becky
Reply 5
Original post by LIBF
Hello 😊
It sounds like you've made great progress by starting an access course! I wanted to reach out and share our computer science study guide as I think that might help you as you consider your next steps - https://bit.ly/3TrrFLd. This covers topics like how to prepare for a computer science degree, career prospects, salary expectations and more.
Without knowing your exact situation, it would be difficult to say for sure, but it does sound like you would meet the requirements to apply for our BSc Computer Science course once you have completed your access course. If this is something you would like to learn more about, you can explore our entry requirements here - https://bit.ly/49W9pA7
I hope that this helps and good luck with your journey into computer science!
Thanks,
Becky

Thank youu, I’ve had a look at it definitely helpful😊
Reply 6
Original post by ReeceV123
ima be real wid u gang. comp sci at uni is basically just a glorified maths degree. if u dont like maths and arent good at it, u wont like comp sci.

Yhh honestly that’s my biggest worry, I’ve instead thought to do software engineering as it’s not as heavy in maths, still ik it’ll be a struggle, I’ll see as I go, cuz I honestly don’t know what to expect

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending