The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
If you just want money - go work in The City.
Reply 41
That is so true - if you're intelligent enough to be considering a career in medicine, then you're intelligent enough to get a good degree and go work in the City. You will earn so much more money in a much shorter period of time (the average City banker bonus last year was £490,000).

The hours and stress are fairly similar and both are just as competitive. If money is your main motive (there's nothing wrong with that) you'd be a fool to choose medicine as a means to that end.
Reply 42
Johnny C.
That is so true - if you're intelligent enough to be considering a career in medicine, then you're intelligent enough to get a good degree and go work in the City. You will earn so much more money in a much shorter period of time (the average City banker bonus last year was £490,000).

The hours and stress are fairly similar and both are just as competitive. If money is your main motive (there's nothing wrong with that) you'd be a fool to choose medicine as a means to that end.

Yeah, correct, excellent!
altruist7
holy crap are u sure its 30 grand johnny? i mean i thought itd be around 10 grand first.. in F1.. but but that sounds great lol.. still the best part for me will be to distect a cadaver, strangely i look soo forward to those kind of practials more than the salary:d morbid yes science geek yes:biggrin:...hehe..well well

£10,000!!!!!!! You get paid £12-15,000 being a health care assistant! If I'm going to have to pay 6 grand a year back for the professional studies loan I hope it's a little more than that. I met a couple fo FY1 doctors and they were on 28 grand.
Reply 44
Johnny C.

I've read soemwhere that height discrimination is often an issue when applying for City jobs. Would this be the same in the medical profession?
Reply 45
British Bulldog
I've read soemwhere that height discrimination is often an issue when applying for City jobs. Would this be the same in the medical profession?

I did a work experience placement in the City and now that I think about it, there were a lot of very tall people:biggrin: Someone also told me the other day that most surgeons are very tall, don't know how true that one is tho....

In any case I'm 6" 5' so I'm not worrying (unless they start discriminating against tall people:hmmmm: )
Reply 46
Well I'm not short so it aint a problem for me either. Yeah I have seen a few tall surgeons but I know plenty of shorter ones too. I wouldn't have thought height discrimination was commonplace in Medicine and even though as I pointed out it's not an issue for me, I don't approve of thsi type (or any other type) of discrimination.
Reply 47
Anyways back to the topic. :smile:
Reply 48
height discrimination in medicine??? lol! I'm 5"4 but I can wear heels!
wow you guys have diagressed quite a bit off the topic here...im still looking forward to graduating as a doc and earning i mean anything is better than what i am earning now a mesely fiver or so an hour working at carphone warehouse! yipeeeeee!
Reply 50
iceman_jondoe
wow you guys have diagressed quite a bit off the topic here...im still looking forward to graduating as a doc and earning i mean anything is better than what i am earning now a mesely fiver or so an hour working at carphone warehouse! yipeeeeee!

yeh man, thats true... whatever degree you do will consist of hard work...oh well, thats life eh
iceman_jondoe

Sure beats £3.30 a hour at a restaurant :p:
Reply 52
yeah i heard that if you work practically all the hours you can, you can earn about £35,000 a year in F1. if you're worried about studying for five years, you shouldn't apply for medicine. nowadays, it's all about life long learning, so it's not just the five years, you're be learning basically until you retire.

also you should try and get some work placements. about 3 will be perfect if you can get them. make sure you organise them quickly, otherwise all the slots for the holidays will be filled and you'll have to do it in term time at the beginning of yr 13 like me. try to get placements in different areas as well. GP is quite easy to get into and surgery is quite fun/interesting. if you can organise it yourself, it shows initiative, which looks good. don't try to do too much volunteering just for the sake of it cos personally i think it looks a bit obsessive, unless you really want to wipe old peoples' arses. the best thing to do if you don't want to volunteer is to get a job. you gain experience of teamwork etc and you earn money.

try to get involved in some school sports and try to get a position of responsibility at school. it show's you're mature and can handle responsibility etc.

the best advise i can give is to find something to do in your spare time that develops your skills in teamwork and working under pressure and that you enjoy. too often people do activities just because they think it will help them get into medicine but don't actually enjoy it. in my opinion that's just a waste of time.

by the way i got an offer from cmbridge for medicine 2007, so if you want any more advise just PM me.

laters.
Reply 53
jason_88

by the way i got an offer from cmbridge for medicine 2007, so if you want any more advise just PM me.

laters.

wow man, well done! after lots of thinking, im going into finance :biggrin:
Reply 54
jason_88
yeah i heard that if you work practically all the hours you can, you can earn about £35,000 a year in F1. if you're worried about studying for five years, you shouldn't apply for medicine. nowadays, it's all about life long learning, so it's not just the five years, you're be learning basically until you retire.

This will not be the case when you (or I for that matter!) qualify... EWTD means that all F1 posts have to be fully EWTD compliant by 2009, and in the current climate of NHS cash cutting many current jobs have already been 'debanded', so nothing more than the basic... In London at the moment is just under £21k.

To put a reality slant on this, when I graduated from my first dergee in 1999 the job I was offered paid £29k - 8 years ago, and after only 3 years study, not 5...

On my last placement, one of the F1s commented that he was on £5.20-something an hour!!! He is one of the bright young things on the academic F1 rotation...

To anyone reading this, if money is your main motivator, the direction medicine is taking means you may be sorely dissapointed....
Reply 55
Fluffy

To anyone reading this, if money is your main motivator, the direction medicine is taking means you may be sorely dissapointed....

erm, go private?
Reply 56
How you propose getting trained to the point where you can sell out and go private*?

*this is the main reason why the two proposed private schools (Hunter School and Buckingham Uni) in the UK have never got off the ground as yet
Reply 57
Fluffy
How you propose getting trained to the point where you can sell out and go private*?

*this is the main reason why the two proposed private schools (Hunter School and Buckingham Uni) in the UK have never got off the ground as yet

No, I mean if money is someone's main motivator, what's to stop them from doing their foundation training (at a low pay), then all their further specialty training until they get to the point where they are in a position to turn their back on the NHS, go private and rake in the cash??
Reply 58
smirf83
No, I mean if money is someone's main motivator, what's to stop them from doing their foundation training (at a low pay), then all their further specialty training until they get to the point where they are in a position to turn their back on the NHS, go private and rake in the cash??

That's my ambition too.
Reply 59
But money was never the main draw.

Latest

Trending

Trending