The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
miki_da_magpie
I think she meant when she opened the thread, not started it. So if you know med isnt really right for you, why are you even pondering about it. Medicine requires commitment and passion, not a salarydrive.

What can't i ponder about my career? You have to think about your career options rather than going ohh BAM, im gonna be a pilot ... how stupid, you have to see all options and all details, and if you want to lead that lifestyle etc
Reply 81
I still disagree with the notion that where you studied medicine would come into question with private practice. At the end of the day if you have been able to make so far in your career that you are highly qualified and experienced enough to carry out private practice and pass the relevant gollege examinations, then where you studied becomes absolutely irrelevant. I know plenty of plastic surgeons working in the private sector who have trained abroad at medical schools in Pakistan and India and I know two from Africa and they earn loads (I assume). The public has never really perceived Medicine at Oxbridge as being superiour. I think when going to a Doctor for treatment the last thing on a patient's mind is where the doctor studied.

And also I think it would reassuring for patient to know they are receiving treatment from an individual who has had years of experience in their field and has carried out many successful operations in the past whether on the NHS and/or on the private sector. This to me as patient would be far more important information than where the doctor obtained his/her medical degree.

I think the people who are saying that it does matter really need to scratch beneath the surface of this topic. You cannot deny the fact that there are non-Oxbridge private doctors and those from medical schools you wouldn't consider as traditional. But where does the comparison end? What are we considering as traditional? London and Oxbridge? If so does that mean we don't regard medical schools such as Belfast and Edinburgh as "well-respected" (remember those two are extremely hard to get into)?

I think in being employed for private practice your track record and personal qualities are far more important. You could be an Oxford graduate but have failed examinations after university and may not have had the same level of experience as say the BSMS graduate. I think the employer (assuming he/she is a medic) has more sense than to simply discriminate on the basis of university.

If it was a case of going to a particular university made all the world of difference every medical applicant would apply to Oxbridge and London. That just isn't the case.
Reply 82
British Bulldog
I still disagree with the notion that where you studied medicine would come into question with private practice. At the end of the day if you have been able to make so far in your career that you are highly qualified and experienced enough to carry out private practice and pass the relevant gollege examinations, then where you studied becomes absolutely irrelevant. I know plenty of plastic surgeons working in the private sector who have trained abroad at medical schools in Pakistan and India and I know two from Africa and they earn loads (I assume). The public has never really perceived Medicine at Oxbridge as being superiour. I think when going to a Doctor for treatment the last thing on a patient's mind is where the doctor studied.

And also I think it would reassuring for patient to know they are receiving treatment from an individual who has had years of experience in their field and has carried out many successful operations in the past whether on the NHS and/or on the private sector. This to me as patient would be far more important information than where the doctor obtained his/her medical degree.

I think the people who are saying that it does matter really need to scratch beneath the surface of this topic. You cannot deny the fact that there are non-Oxbridge private doctors and those from medical schools you wouldn't consider as traditional. But where does the comparison end? What are we considering as traditional? London and Oxbridge? If so does that mean we don't regard medical schools such as Belfast and Edinburgh as "well-respected" (remember those two are extremely hard to get into)?

I think in being employed for private practice your track record and personal qualities are far more important. You could be an Oxford graduate but have failed examinations after university and may not have had the same level of experience as say the BSMS graduate. I think the employer (assuming he/she is a medic) has more sense than to simply discriminate on the basis of university.

If it was a case of going to a particular university made all the world of difference every medical applicant would apply to Oxbridge and London. That just isn't the case.

I agree, but only because 'good long experience in medicine > uni credentials'

But i am pretty sure it is harder to get into the private sector with little experience coming from a non - Top 5 university.
Reply 83
The-Godfather
I agree, but only because 'good long experience in medicine > uni credentials'

But i am pretty sure it is harder to get into the private sector with little experience coming from a non - Top 5 university.

But what exactly do we mean by a top 5 university?

The league tables change every year. For the last two years Hull-York Medical School has ranked at 2nd and 3rd on the Guardian's League Tables. Does that make it a top 5 university?

I don't know where this idea of "top 5 university" came from.

I still dsiagree with this silly "top 5 notion" but in the last sentence you have hit the nail on the head by saying, "it is harder to get into the private sector with little experience". I agree with that bit.

If someone could give me an intelligent definition of what constitutes a "Top 5 University", it would be much appreciated.
Reply 84
British Bulldog
The public has never really perceived Medicine at Oxbridge as being superiour. I think when going to a Doctor for treatment the last thing on a patient's mind is where the doctor studied.

Obviously I don't think Oxbridge are superior per se for Medicine - that should be clear from many posts i've made on the "best medical school" topic.

But - I'm not sure that there is absolutely no difference in public perception. Obviously I only have my experience as a student but replying you study medicine at oxford often does get quite a response. As a student being introduced (outside of the city obviously!) it also does if the the supervising clinican mentions in the introduction or when asking whether the patient would mind.
It's interesting to see which patients they mention the "Oxford" rather than just "medical student" too & with some of them (rightly or wrongly) I suspect it may have positively influenced their decision. But possibly they just want to see if I'm a science-super-genius-destined-for-research-with-no-people-skills! :p:
Reply 85
Elles
Obviously I don't think Oxbridge are superior per se for Medicine - that should be clear from many posts i've made on the "best medical school" topic.

But - I'm not sure that there is absolutely no difference in public perception. Obviously I only have my experience as a student but replying you study medicine at oxford often does get quite a response. As a student being introduced (outside of the city obviously!) it also does if the the supervising clinican mentions in the introduction or when asking whether the patient would mind.
It's interesting to see which patients they mention the "Oxford" rather than just "medical student" too & with some of them (rightly or wrongly) I suspect it may have positively influenced their decision. But possibly they just want to see if I'm a science-super-genius-destined-for-research-with-no-people-skills! :p:

The people who they mention "oxbridge" to, don't happen to be the upper class/wealthy looking people by any chance? The same sort of people private practice caters for.....
Reply 86
Like it or not, in most professions...probably all (medicine the least though, due to NHS)... you get hired according to where you get your degree from (assuming of course 2.1's and 1st's etc).

For Med the top 5 is:

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Imperial College
4) Edinburgh
5) Manchester

So most probably a graduate from cambridge would be chosen over a graduate from Manchester for the same spot.

Thats how the world is now... it's all about the institue you obtained your degree from.

Source: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/displayPopup/0,,13431,00.html

TGF
Reply 87
The-Godfather
Like it or not, in most professions...probably all (medicine the least though, due to NHS)... you get hired according to where you get your degree from (assuming of course 2.1's and 1st's etc).

For Med the top 5 is:

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Imperial College
4) Edinburgh
5) Manchester

So most probably a graduate from cambridge would be chosen over a graduate from Manchester for the same spot.

Thats how the world is now... it's all about the institue you obtained your degree from.

TGF

But if you were a medic you'd know that these league tables fluctuate every year. About 3 years ago Leicester was ranked at number one on the Times rankings.

The Times league table is not the be all and end all.

Oh and another thing there are no degree classifications such as 2:1 or 1:1 in Medicine.
Reply 88
Besides, everyone knows GKT > all
Reply 89
The-Godfather

For Med the top 5 is:

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Imperial College
4) Edinburgh
5) Manchester

TGF

Anyways you've once again demonstrated you know absolutely jack all about how Medicine works.

Oh well.
Reply 90
Did anyone see yesterday's Times' article on GKT? No? Well here it is:

Reply 91
The-Godfather
i'd be working.

Trust.....just look at me....
Reply 92
The-Godfather

For Med the top 5 is:

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Imperial College
4) Edinburgh
5) Manchester

TGF

umm i think i have postd this elsewhere but that list has alot of medical schools missing from it
Reply 93
I think this thread has gone off the rails now.
Reply 94
eh, why are we 19th - this list has obviously been tampered with....no joke
Reply 95
rahmed
eh, why are we 19th - this list has obviously been tampered with....no joke

Well seeing as both me and you don't attend top 5 unis we may aswell resign oruselve to the fact that we'll be living on council estates in Liverpool for the rest of our lives.
Reply 96
British Bulldog
Well seeing as both me and you don't attend top 5 unis we may aswell resign oruselve to the fact that we'll be living on council estates in Liverpool for the rest of our lives.

are you a ******** or something? Med degree form anywhere will more thang et you a job...might just be tough getting into private stragiht after graduating.
Reply 97
Edinburgh and Manchester sound a bit wishy washy to me :p:. I think the London Med schools have a good international reputation - so they should be your passport to the world.

But even then we all end up with the same degree, so it doesn't make the slightest bit of difference really...
Reply 98
I think British Bull**** is uspet as he got rejected from his 1st choice, shut up you idiot you did!

rahmed, reccomend going queen mary then? ...thats in london :p:
Reply 99
The-Godfather
are you a ******** or something? Med degree form anywhere will more thang et you a job...might just be tough getting into private stragiht after graduating.

No I'm not a ******** or whatever it is you are.

Yes I know hw medicine works I am a medic.

You're not a medic though and you know nothing about how the private sector works in Medicine. I know many private surgeons who neither went to Oxbridge or a "Top 5 university" infact several of them didn't even study here in the UK but rather in India/Pakistan/Nigeria.

Mate I don't need some immature sixth former to tell me about my employment prospects. I suggest you get lost and go do some work. Either that or get a life.

Latest

Trending

Trending