The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

saphenous
with the pool and all, does it even matter if I apply to a high applicant college? or one that has very few spaces for the subject that I am studying?

Thanks.

I would say it does because only 1 in 5 pooled applications come to anything. Also, you might end up at a college you simply don't like. If you choose a competitive college because you genuinely would prefer to study there then go for it. However, I think there is little point in choosing one on reputation because you will follow the same course as all Cambridge med students. You need to look at a prospectus and weigh up the pros and cons of each college - that's what I did!
Reply 161
I looked in the cambridge prospectus--do you really think if you apply to a lower applicant college your chances are that much better? or does it more depend on which tutors are in the college, whether they like you, interviews, etc..?

Haz
I would say it does because only 1 in 5 pooled applications come to anything. Also, you might end up at a college you simply don't like. If you choose a competitive college because you genuinely would prefer to study there then go for it. However, I think there is little point in choosing one on reputation because you will follow the same course as all Cambridge med students. You need to look at a prospectus and weigh up the pros and cons of each college - that's what I did!
Haz
No, don’t worry not every applicant has people to help that have previous Oxbridge experience. I certainly didn’t my school was useless! However, there is some controversy on this issue because students who know the application procedure well and are given advice on interviews and personal statements have an advantage.

There is a service run by Oxbridge graduates that, for about £500 will use their insider knowledge to train applicants for interviews. The university’s official opinion of the service is that they disapprove (as do I). They also claim that interviewers can spot training. On the other hand, the training apparently ups an applicant’s chance of success from 26% to as high as 75%.

Don’t let this depress you just draw the same lessons that I did: by taking an independent approach you are more likely to stand out as being an original individual. Also (whether you pay someone to do it for you or not) you must find out about the colleges and the course in order to justify your choices. I visited the website www.Oxbridge-info.co.uk. It has profiles written by previous applicants and is extremely useful in telling you what to expect from interviews.

I would be your own tutor and ask the admissions office for a past MVAT paper to practice with. Much of the preparation work is just common sense and you should be well placed to make it on your own. :smile:

It's true, they can spot interview-training a mile off! I was told by the admissions tutor for Arch and Anth that she had several applicants from the same school who commented on her "lovely curtains", "fabulous carpet" and "wonderful decor"! The best thing you can do is be yourself :smile:
saphenous
I looked in the cambridge prospectus--do you really think if you apply to a lower applicant college your chances are that much better? or does it more depend on which tutors are in the college, whether they like you, interviews, etc..?

I could be wrong but I'm sure it doesn't work like this. Cambridge don't descriminate based on applicant numbers to certain colleges, surely that's the whole point of their pooling system?
Surfing Hamster
I could be wrong but I'm sure it doesn't work like this. Cambridge don't descriminate based on applicant numbers to certain colleges, surely that's the whole point of their pooling system?

Absolutely - the pool system is important given that there are so many differences between the colleges. Some are more competitive than others and if an applicant doesn't respond well to the tutor (or visa versa) then the pool can be a great second chance. This is why I say it's best to choose the college you feel most at home in even if it is one of the more competitive. However, once one college has pooled an application, the chances of it being accepted through the pool are apparently quite reduced so it is a factor worth considering.

I am also Arch and Anth - where do you study, Surf?
saphenous

It is a fact that some colleges receive fewer applications for medicine than others. Many people take the number of applications into account when deciding on their college. However, as you say it also depends on whether you get on with the interviewer and of course your performance in the interviews and the MVAT paper are huge factors.

It's hard to guess from the outside what approach each college has to interviews - it all depends on the college faculty. I would say that because you are an over-seas mature student, find a college that the admissions office recomends and will support this kind of application and you will be in with a good chance at a college that you know will cater well you. That's what I would do in your shoes - you can rely on the admin office for up to the minute advice, and that way you can be confident your choice will be a good one.
Haz
Absolutely - the pool system is important given that there are so many differences between the colleges. Some are more competitive than others and if an applicant doesn't respond well to the tutor (or visa versa) then the pool can be a great second chance. This is why I say it's best to choose the college you feel most at home in even if it is one of the more competitive. However, once one college has pooled an application, the chances of it being accepted through the pool are apparently quite reduced so it is a factor worth considering.

I am also Arch and Anth - where do you study, Surf?

I'm in the second year of my A Levels :smile: Which Cambridge college are you in?
Surfing Hamster
I'm in the second year of my A Levels :smile: Which Cambridge college are you in?

Newnham - I hadn't intended to apply there but after a day of college visits to the ones on my short list I didn't feel at home or right in any of them. Newnham had come highly recommened and as it turns out, rightly so! I'll never forget the night before interview, they organised little parties to talk about the college and calm us down. It was a great laugh - I didn't go to bed till 4 and my interview was at 9:30!

If you want any advice on Arch&Anth personal stats/interviews feel free to contact me.
If you want to maximise your chances of getting into Cambridge, and don't know what to do, then Arch & anth is a good subject as it is probably the easiest to get in for. The only problem being; job prospects are not very bright.
Reply 169
I got pooled twice, Im going to be like the most unwanted person in cam. is ANYONE going to Peterhouse?!?!?!? please say yes im scareded. or anyone doing medicine? apparently were supposed to revise before we get there say WHAT???

xxx
Unregistered
If you want to maximise your chances of getting into Cambridge, and don't know what to do, then Arch & anth is a good subject as it is probably the easiest to get in for. The only problem being; job prospects are not very bright.

I wouldn't say that! I think anyone studying at such a university as Oxford or Cambridge has shown outstanding ability! Even though it may be the "easiest to get in for", it's still extremely competitive. :smile:
Reply 171
Indeed...and even if it was 'easy' to get into, which I doubt, it seems very foolish to pick a subject you're not dedicated to just so you can get into a prestigious university (-other unis are better for some subjects anyway!)...not to mention the fact that you probably wouldn't get in with that sort of attitude...
Egan1
Indeed...and even if it was 'easy' to get into, which I doubt, it seems very foolish to pick a subject you're not dedicated to just so you can get into a prestigious university (-other unis are better for some subjects anyway!)...not to mention the fact that you probably wouldn't get in with that sort of attitude...

I agree, but some people have been asking which are the least competitive subjects, so if all they care about is getting into Oxbridge then this is the way to go. By the way, Arch & anth is the least competitive subkect at Cambridge. It still isn't "easy" to get in for (which I didn't actually say).
Unregistered

What a fatuous thing to say! Firstly, Arch and Anth is not as you put it the 'easiest' to get in for applicants to places wise. Secondly I think the admissions tutors would be appalled to think that their subject had been chosen to maximise the chances of success. I'm sure it was only a passionate interest that got me in!

You insult the university and those on this forum considering their applications by suggesting that subjects could be choosen for the snobbish purpose of getting any place in a prestigious uni. I would like to think that people on this forum choosing their subjects will do so out of a genuine interest and not display the same disappointing cynicism that you have done!
Haz
What a fatuous thing to say! Firstly, Arch and Anth is not as you put it the 'easiest' to get in for applicants to places wise. Secondly I think the admissions tutors would be appalled to think that their subject had been chosen to maximise the chances of success. I'm sure it was only a passionate interest that got me in!

You insult the university and those on this forum considering their applications by suggesting that subjects could be choosen for the snobbish purpose of getting any place in a prestigious uni. I would like to think that people on this forum choosing their subjects will do so out of a genuine interest and not display the same disappointing cynicism that you have done!

Read the post above yours before jumping on your high horse.
I wouldn't condone this action, but certain people have seemed to be wrapped up in getting into Oxbridge.
Reply 175
I know I chose my course out of genuine interest :smile:. What I don't get is, how would it work, applying for a subject you know nothing about and don't have any interest in? Especially at a place like Cambridge, where they expect the applicants to be seriously enthusiastic and motivated to be doing that course. Even if you make stuff up in your personal statement and get invited for interview(s), surely it would be obvious then that you're blatantly not interested in the course?
Nylex
I know I chose my course out of genuine interest :smile:. What I don't get is, how would it work, applying for a subject you know nothing about and don't have any interest in? Especially at a place like Cambridge, where they expect the applicants to be seriously enthusiastic and motivated to be doing that course. Even if you make stuff up in your personal statement and get invited for interview(s), surely it would be obvious then that you're blatantly not interested in the course?

Obviously if you had already chosen your A-Levels it would be impossible. The fact is; when choosing A-Levels (and if you haven't found a subject that genuinely interests you yet), such a tactic could work.
I don't agree with it, but merely suggested it. Arch and anth doesn't have many good career prospects anyway (according to three people I know who have done Arch and anth degrees).
Unregistered
Read the post above yours before jumping on your high horse.
I wouldn't condone this action, but certain people have seemed to be wrapped up in getting into Oxbridge.

I did. I think those people on this forum who are concerned with getting into Oxbridge want to do so mainly because it is the best place to study the subjects that have interested them the most. I don't believe anyone has said that they just want to get in no matter what the subject and would think that an attitude like that would be spotted a mile off at interview.

Also hurt because I adore the subjects - Arch and Anth combines humanities, social sciences and natural sciences which makes it a complex and multi-faceted disclipline to follow. What and where do you study?
Reply 178
Haz

Well said.

Perhaps a more useful point for 'Unregistered' to have made would be that Newnham is the easiest college to get in to (with the exception of possibly Girton, which is one of the larger colleges but gets very few applications).

Source: http://www.cam.ac.uk/cambuniv/ugprospectus/applying/applying02e.html
Haz
I did. I think those people on this forum who are concerned with getting into Oxbridge want to do so mainly because it is the best place to study the subjects that have interested them the most. I don't believe anyone has said that they just want to get in no matter what the subject and would think that an attitude like that would be spotted a mile off at interview.

Also hurt because I adore the subjects - Arch and Anth combines humanities, social sciences and natural sciences which makes it a complex and multi-faceted disclipline to follow. What and where do you study?

True, Arch and Anth rules. Well, I'm not so sure about the Arch bit, but I am very impressed with the Anth.

Haz, which college are you at?

Latest

Trending

Trending