The Student Room Group

Confused about A star grade at A2

I've read online that in order to get the A star grade at A Level, one needs an A overall in AS and then a very high mark (over 90%) for A2. Even if one gets 100% at AS Level, it is impossible to get A star if 90% or more at A2 is not reached. Likewise, one can get an A star even if they get a relatively low A at AS Level but over 90% at A2.
But I've recently heard that this does not apply to languages. I'm taking French and German and have got A grades in both (but relatively low ones) and am very worried that even with A grades at AS level, I may not be able to get an A star at the end of A2 because my A grades in both are too low.
Does anyone know anything about how the A star grading works for languages and if its different to other subjects?
Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 1
80% across the whole A-level and 90% in the A2 modules I believe
Original post by alex144
I've read online that in order to get the A star grade at A Level, one needs an A overall in AS and then a very high mark (over 90%) for A2. Even if one gets 100% at AS Level, it is impossible to get A star if 90% or more at A2 is not reached. Likewise, one can get an A star even if they get a relatively low A at AS Level but over 90% at A2.
But I've recently heard that this does not apply to languages. I'm taking French and German and have got A grades in both (but relatively low ones) and am very worried that even with A grades at AS level, I may not be able to get an A star at the end of A2 because my A grades in both are too low.
Does anyone know anything about how the A star grading works for languages and if its different to other subjects?
Thank you!! :smile:

Assuming you are a UK student the rules for all examiners and all subjects (except a small difference with maths) is that you need 80% of the available UMS in total and and 90% of the available UMS at A2. There is nothing different about A level languages. If you have an A from AS or even a B you just need 90% from A2 to be awarded an A* grade.
The rules for CIE international A levels are different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Please let me know when stard for Άλφα 2

Quick Reply

Latest