The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yep. I use Red Hat 8.0 here :smile:.
Reply 2
Red Hat 8.0 is probably the best version. I don't use it but then I am a moron still clinging to the hope that we go back to Command-Line O.S.'s.

Does anyone know the name of the penguin mascot thingy for Linux ( I really think he is the cutest thing I have ever seen!!)?
Reply 3
He's called Tux :smile:.
Reply 4
YAY !!!

Now I actually know his name *said in very childish voice while clapping hands*

I have him as a wallpaper on my lappy (which ironically runs win 2k)!
Reply 5
I was bored today and just decided I try Slackware 9.0, and have just spend two hours downloading the 650Mb ISO. I will install it later tonight on my old laptop.
Reply 6
Slackware has only one ISO?!

Lol Leekey. Some cool wallpaper images with Tux here: http://www.kuznetsov.uklinux.net/gallery.php
Reply 7
Originally posted by Nylex
Slackware has only one ISO?!

Yep. That was a bit surprising, but it is a much simpler distro than others like RedHat and Mandrake etc. Apparently it gives more control though.
Reply 8
Cheers Nylex - You just gave me my new wallpaper (the "good evening mr. gates one"). That is QUALITY.

So shall I assume that Im the onlyone with an unhealthy obsession with DOS then??
Reply 9
Originally posted by Leekey
So shall I assume that Im the onlyone with an unhealthy obsession with DOS then??

Yep! What is it about DOS that turns you on then (for want of a better expression)?
Reply 10
If you take the time to understand it and learn the commands (did this from ages 9-12), then it is the most user friendly OS ever created. It will never give you seemingly random error messages reguarding something totally obscure and the errors it produces actually identify a problem for you to rectify (for example of horrible error messages please install Win98 First edition - wouldn't recommend this though). There are more reasons but I prefer to keep my post below a side in length......
Reply 11
If you take the time to understand it and learn the commands (did this from ages 9-12), then it is the most user friendly OS ever created. It will never give you seemingly random error messages reguarding something totally obscure and the errors it produces actually identify a problem for you to rectify (for example of horrible error messages please install Win98 First edition - wouldn't recommend this though). There are more reasons but I prefer to keep my post below a side in length......

Agreed, but it is quite a simple O/S in comparison to Windows 98. You can't really compare the two, as one is a multi-tasking, multi-user, graphical etc. O/S, and the other is a text-based, monotasking, monouser etc. O/S. It's a bit like comparing chalk and cheese.

I'm not saying by any means that the messages in Win98 aren't cryptic, just that as the O/S gets more complicated, the error-handling amongst other things is probably going to get worse as a result (depending on the skill of the programmers of course).

You know, there is a DOS-compatible web browser available (http://lynx.isc.org/release/), you can start posting from DOS! Go on ... you know you want to!
Reply 12
Cheers Nylex - You just gave me my new wallpaper (the "good evening mr. gates one"). That is QUALITY.

That's cool. I like the rainy one myself :smile:.

Heh, I read that Slack was really hard to get to grips with.
Reply 13
Heh, I read that Slack was really hard to get to grips with.

Good, good, I like a challenge.

Once I've got it working, I'm going to use this install to provide a platform where I can fiddle with the Linux kernel a bit to help me understand a few areas about O/S design for my own O/S, which I'm developing.
Reply 14
I think at the end of the day, both are O.S.'s and I prefer to use DOS than any of the ill concieved Windows O.S.'s. I understand why it is necessary to be using Windows in some instances (multi-tasking is vital in many situation's) but I really think that M/S should stop trying to dumb down Windows (XP was frighteningly dumbed down and thus was shit for anyone with any computing skill) and take a couple of years to make a truely great O.S. Surely this is not too much to ask from Mr. Gates?

I thought Slackware was supposed to be the simplest incarnation to date (accoring to the reviewers)??

PS - Please keep us posted on your OS development, I have a friend who is undertaking the same challenge.
Reply 15
I've never used Slackware, so I couldn't say for sure. Both Mandrake and Red Hat seem to be quite newbie friendly though.

Richard, can you program in C?
Reply 16
I think at the end of the day, both are O.S.'s and I prefer to use DOS than any of the ill concieved Windows O.S.'s. I understand why it is necessary to be using Windows in some instances (multi-tasking is vital in many situation's) but I really think that M/S should stop trying to dumb down Windows (XP was frighteningly dumbed down and thus was shit for anyone with any computing skill) and take a couple of years to make a truely great O.S. Surely this is not too much to ask from Mr. Gates?

Hmm... I have a copy of XP and I actually don't mind it (apart from the telli-tubbies default interface, that is :smile:). I've found it incredibly stable on my system, with not one crash resulting in a frozen O/S (and a forced reboot) since I first used it (about a month after it came out!). Also, on every machine I've ever installed XP, it's detected all of the hardware like that, which I also thought was quite impressive.

Having said all of this, I don't like the restrictions on modifying the O/S present with all Windows versions, but this is mainly due to the fact that it's not open-source, which is what you'd expect from a proprietary O/S. This is why I prefer Linux.

I thought Slackware was supposed to be the simplest incarnation to date (accoring to the reviewers)??

Yeah, I've heard that as well, but I've also heard, that it's the hardest to work with; anyway, we'll see. The fact that it comes on only one CD ISO suggests simplicity.

PS - Please keep us posted on your OS development, I have a friend who is undertaking the same challenge.

I will do!

The main problem I'm having is that I keep getting part way into it, and then realising that there was a better way of doing something. I then discover that to try and patch in this better way would make for a very poorly coded and messy O/S, so I start over pretty much from scratch. That's why I'm now trying to get a better understanding of the low-level functionality of O/Ss like Linux, so I can get a rock-solid plan for my O/S, which I will then try my best not to veer from, hopefully incorporating the best features of all the O/Ss I look at.
Reply 17
I've never used Slackware, so I couldn't say for sure. Both Mandrake and Red Hat seem to be quite newbie friendly though.

Richard, can you program in C?

Yeah, I'd be a bit stuck with the Linux kernel source if I couldn't :wink:.
Reply 18
I hate my limited programming ability!

The only languages that I can program in:

Pascal
VB (very limited at the moment though, Im basically relying on myknowledge of pascal and adapting)
Java
HTML
Javascript

I really want to get stuck into C and C++ but Im told that this would be a bad idea if I plan to go on to do Comp. Sci. at Uni because I may get into "bad habits".

My brother can program in C and C++ and it really irritates me!!!
Reply 19
I hate my limited programming ability!

The only languages that I can program in:

Pascal
VB (very limited at the moment though, Im basically relying on myknowledge of pascal and adapting)
Java
HTML
Javascript

I really want to get stuck into C and C++ but Im told that this would be a bad idea if I plan to go on to do Comp. Sci. at Uni because I may get into "bad habits".

My brother can program in C and C++ and it really irritates me!!!

If you know Java, it shouldn't take you long to pick up C++ (and C along the way).

I've heard people say you can get into bad habits, but as long as you learn it from a good, respected resource (for example, Bruce Eckel's 'Thinking in C++', for one), then you should be fine. Just be prepared to maybe have to change your coding style a bit when you get to university; I doubt it can do more harm than good though.

Latest

Trending

Trending