The Student Room Group

Geography

I heard GCSE Geography is soooo hard. Is it true? I want to achieve at least an A :/ My school had compulsory option and we had to choose History or Geography
Hello,

I don't think that Geography is hard, but I suppose it could differ slightly between exam boards. I did the OCR Geography B course, and I achieved an A. Choose what you are more interested in, but I would say that Geography is easier than History. If you are good at remembering lots of little facts, then I would consider History, however if you are good at interpreting graphs and explaining points, then I would consider Geography. The hardest part for me for Geography was the coursework, and boy did it stress you out, but as long as you put the time and effort in, you should do fine.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll do great and good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Camerooni
Hello,

I don't think that Geography is hard, but I suppose it could differ slightly between exam boards. I did the OCR Geography B course, and I achieved an A. Choose what you are more interested in, but I would say that Geography is easier than History. If you are good at remembering lots of little facts, then I would consider History, however if you are good at interpreting graphs and explaining points, then I would consider Geography. The hardest part for me for Geography was the coursework, and boy did it stress you out, but as long as you put the time and effort in, you should do fine.

Whatever you choose to do, I'm sure you'll do great and good luck! :smile:

aaah thank you! Could I ask what level you were achieving in Year 9 in Geography? (to compare) I didn't really pay attention in Year 9 so I'm worried and I just started school and out of all lessons the first Geography lesson was the most intense for me so I am not that enthusiastic about it. I want to achieve at least an A
Original post by Sneedshelp
I heard GCSE Geography is soooo hard. Is it true? I want to achieve at least an A :/ My school had compulsory option and we had to choose History or Geography

I did History and Geography and I thought Geography was easier (and more interesting!).
Reply 4
I did both History and Geography, had an A* in History and A in Geography. I have to admit I did find Geography harder, but not really difficult. Then again I was more interested in History so that may explain why!

Both History and Geography for me at least, had coursework as well. It was quite interesting in Geography though and my class went on a few field trips, e.g. to the beach, which did aid learning for some.
Original post by Sneedshelp
aaah thank you! Could I ask what level you were achieving in Year 9 in Geography? (to compare) I didn't really pay attention in Year 9 so I'm worried and I just started school and out of all lessons the first Geography lesson was the most intense for me so I am not that enthusiastic about it. I want to achieve at least an A

Don't worry, you have plenty of time to improve. I achieved a D in the year 9 mocks, and then a B in the year 10 mocks, and finally an A in the GCSEs. No matter what you get in mock exams, keep trying, revising and working at it and eventually you will get there. Use your mock exam grades as a progress tracker and ask your teacher what you need to do in order to improve. Try and catch up on the things you potentially missed in Year 9.
I did both - I got an A* in History and an A in geography but I found history a lot harder. I also did Geography for AS level and got an A. Geography is a fascinating subject and sure it can be difficult with the shear volume of case studies you have to remember but if you put the work in you'll be absolutely fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually enjoyed GCSE Geography.

It isn't hard at all, basic theory and then case studies to support.

It's nice when you can just think of some complex ideas, that may or may not be right but if you justify why you think it, they can't really discredit it unless it's factually (obviously) incorrect.

It was one of the few however I was pressured for time in the exams, but I managed to get full marks in them so you don't necessarily have to finish the papers with essays. I think I bullet pointed an ending to mine. Or that may have been history...

Quick Reply

Latest