The Student Room Group

Geography at Uni

Thinking about applying for Geography for uni next year but having doubts? The degree seems to vary significantly between different universities and I'm unsure whether to base my decision making from the university's geography department specifically or the university as a whole? Looking at Bristol, Nottingham and Sheffield - are there any major differences in the geography courses there?
Reply 1
Original post by tillie06
Thinking about applying for Geography for uni next year but having doubts? The degree seems to vary significantly between different universities and I'm unsure whether to base my decision making from the university's geography department specifically or the university as a whole? Looking at Bristol, Nottingham and Sheffield - are there any major differences in the geography courses there?

if you want to have possibly better employment opportunities, it is best for you to choose the uni which is more highly ranked/ best reputation! if not, and you want to just enjoy the subject and uni experience, pick the uni with the modules you like the best
Original post by tillie06

Hi,
I'm currently in my 2nd year studying Physical Geography at Lancaster.
Picking the right university is a very personal choice, and it can be difficult. Each university may offer different degrees in geography, like a BA or Bsc Geography which tends to be a mixture of the human and physical sides, but the BA will be slightly more human orientated and the Bsc being slightly more physical. Or universities may have courses like BA human geography or Bsc physical geography which tend to be more focused on either side. I'd recommend looking through the courses you most interested in and they should have a list of modules on there website so you can which modules and therefore degrees your most interested in. Its also worth looking at the university at a whole like would you preferer a campus or city university and prioritizing universities that offer the student life you want.
If you've got any more questions about what its like to study geography at uni, feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
Make sure you read through the modules for courses you are looking at. For example, Bristol has compulsory quantitative modules (eg. Coding in the first year and data analysis in the second year). If you don’t want to do these modules don’t apply there - I’m repeating what they said at the open day. Other unis offer similar quantitative modules for the BSc but can be optional. Both the course and the uni are important - do you want a campus or city based location? How far from home do you want to be? Good luck with your research.
Reply 4
Original post by Puppypower1
Make sure you read through the modules for courses you are looking at. For example, Bristol has compulsory quantitative modules (eg. Coding in the first year and data analysis in the second year). If you don’t want to do these modules don’t apply there - I’m repeating what they said at the open day. Other unis offer similar quantitative modules for the BSc but can be optional. Both the course and the uni are important - do you want a campus or city based location? How far from home do you want to be? Good luck with your research.

The coding module at Bristol does worry me a bit, as I think I'd be awful at it. Data analysis seems quite interesting though and they're definitely not a dealbreaker - great employability skill after all. I think I'd prefer a city based uni or at least a uni within a lively city environment, don't mind being far from home but not TOO far. Thanks for your help!!
Reply 5
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi,
I'm currently in my 2nd year studying Physical Geography at Lancaster.
Picking the right university is a very personal choice, and it can be difficult. Each university may offer different degrees in geography, like a BA or Bsc Geography which tends to be a mixture of the human and physical sides, but the BA will be slightly more human orientated and the Bsc being slightly more physical. Or universities may have courses like BA human geography or Bsc physical geography which tend to be more focused on either side. I'd recommend looking through the courses you most interested in and they should have a list of modules on there website so you can which modules and therefore degrees your most interested in. Its also worth looking at the university at a whole like would you preferer a campus or city university and prioritizing universities that offer the student life you want.
If you've got any more questions about what its like to study geography at uni, feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

hi i was wanting to do geography at uni is there anything that i can do that would help my chances like any extracurriculars or volunteering or courses or anything like that relating to geography to put in my person statement?
Reply 6
Original post by xnxyxh
hi i was wanting to do geography at uni is there anything that i can do that would help my chances like any extracurriculars or volunteering or courses or anything like that relating to geography to put in my person statement?

Hi, I'm also looking at geography and I did a MOOC course relating to the subject (some are quite short and free/very cheap) and looks good as you've gone into depth in a certain area. Maybe volunteering or work experience relating to a part of geography that you're interested in too?

Hope this helps!
Original post by xnxyxh

Hi @xnxyxh,
For personal statements, i think its really important to get across your passion for the subject. If you've done any extra curricular activities relating to geography this would be great. For volunteering opportunities, any volunteering experience is very valuable but if you want some linking specifically to geography, maybe look at local rivers trusts or forestry charities as there usually have lots of volunteering positions. I know the Field Studies Council (FSC), run a range of courses over summer relating to geography so might be worth having a look at this.
However, there's lots of other ways to demonstrate you interest for geography. In my personal statement, I mainly talked about how the fieldtrips I had been on with my sixth form had sparked a particular interest in a subject area, or maybe talk about any extra reading you have done relating to subject areas your interested in. Throughout sixth form I read 2 books relating to geography which I talked about in my personal statement, they were 'There is no planet B' by Mike Berners Lee and 'Prisoners of Geography' by Tim Marshall.
If you have any more questions, feel free to ask!
- Jasmine (Lancaster Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending