The Student Room Group

choosing subjects, gcse

Hey, i just arrived in the UK and i am in year 10...will be goin to year 11 this year, the question is i am confused between whether i should choose geography or history, can anyone tell me what do you guys study in geography and history so that i choos the one that interests me most.
Reply 1
Original post by Masooma Shah
Hey, i just arrived in the UK and i am in year 10...will be goin to year 11 this year, the question is i am confused between whether i should choose geography or history, can anyone tell me what do you guys study in geography and history so that i choos the one that interests me most.

Check your previous studies- did you study history or geography and which did understand and enjoyed. Geography will be general and history wiill contain more contents about Britain. I would choose geography as it will generalise about the world.

Hi
Here are some things I would consider/tips:
- Geography has two main components (depends on exam board though) which are human geography - including things like learning about the world population, birthrates and stuff; climate change; urbanisation, the troubles of people moving into the cities and factors affecting it - and physical geography - including things like coastal systems and landscapes, erosion, glacial systems and landscapes
- Geography is more memory and data/facts based, so you might be interested in it if you like these things
-History is a LOT about british history, with some topics based on world war 1 or 2, also some focus on elizabethan england and crime/conditions (depending on the exam board however). It's 100% essay-based, so if you're good at analysing, communicating your points in an essay format and memorising, history is for you
- Have a look at what exam board your school does for both geography and history and do a bit more research on it, so you can get more specific info about the two subjects
- In my personal experience, history is quite interesting, but you need to be able to do the essays well to get the marks; geography is kinda boring, although it depends on the topic, but it's straightforward to do, it involves case studies and key facts/definitions

I hope that helps and good luck with your options! Pick something you feel you would enjoy!
Reply 3

Heya!
I would recommend checking out the content and picking the one that sounds more interesting to you! If it helps, Study Mind has free revision notes you can use to check out what sort of material will be covered :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 4
Geography I think is a lot easier especially to get those higher grades this is likely because in Geography there is a ton of smaller questions in history there are a couple of big ones this means if you forgot to revise one tiny little detail about the 5th man 6th related to the queen, who owned farms, political ideas then you get a bad grade/fail- some questions can be very specific. You should also take into account the years you will start studying if you will start your subjects in year 10 history will be very cramped. For example I started in year 10 and i took History and Geography I'm getting consistent 9s in geography and 6s in history. A good idea may be talking to your teachers about what they would suggest but you could always pick both. I would suggest only picking history if you have a great memory.
Reply 5
I take both. On my exam boreds history and geography have the same amount of exams. History is 100% more memory based then geography so I'm not quite sure where you get that from. Personally I find geography really interesting as do many others as you can see it happening all around us. Maybe you should make your opinion more open rather than 'stating facts' that only apply to you.

Quick Reply

Latest